Discount tyres?

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has anyone bought tyres off the net?

Been quoted £172 each for rear and £136 for fronts...... ouch!!!!

Just wondered if there was a cheap website of "quality" tyres.

BTW the quote was from my nephew who manages a garage

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi Dave
My son is buying an Alloy wheel refurbishment business over in Scunthorpe if let me know what size I will get a price for you

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Thats about the right price for runflats.

A point here, we have had a couple of customers who have got us to remove their run-flats on BMW's as they really dont like them, I have driven on them and was of that oppinion also.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
www.etyres.co.uk.

I needed 4 new 235/45/17s for my A6 and etyres came in around £420 fully fitted. The next best quote I could get was £600+. Couple of mates have also used etyres and no complaints. etyres come to your house/place of work to fit.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best website I have used was www.mytyres.co.uk

Price of tyre includes VAT and delivery to your front door, just need to pay a garage to fit. I got all 4 fitted for about 20 quid with a mate.

Saved me about £120 if i remember rightly

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
VIG get yourself a pair of Uniroyal rainsports, they are about 65 quid a tyre and have an excellent grip in the wet, Im running them on the cupra in 225 45 17 fitment, its running approx 230bhp and has no bother with grip in the current cold weather.
Failing that Goodyear Eagle F1's (80-85 quid) are a grippier tyre but may wear a little faster as they are a softer compound but by hell they do grip especially in the warmer weather.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to always buy Goodyear as the grip they gave was phenominal, only downside as pointed out is the wear rate.

I once wore out a set of Goodyears in 12 months, though that's when I was a lot younger & was a lot harder on tyres back then too.

To take the subject a little beyond the main topic, but Discount tyres are one thing but budget tyres are something else & can very easily be a false econemy if you don't do your homework & what you are doing. I'd always be very suspect of any brand I'm not familiar with, but its also worth noting some budget tyres do come out of the same factory as some big brand tyres & some of these can occasionally be worth looking at for some people.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I use event mobile (google it). They seem as cheap as anyone, (bearing in mind Mrs Mog's fat rear end takes 255/50/17's)and come out to you and fit them in the car park. Been very impressed.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys.
Etyres looks good. Continental,Pirelli or Bridgestone? which gives greater VFM?

Mytyres not got size in stock.

Brendy, where the hell have you sourced tyres at that price?

MWJ. where from?

Not looking for budget, never would unless moving on the car. Discount quality is what i'm after.
I keep telling you guys, i'm a true yorkshireman. ;)

What are falken? never heard of them. Kumho, any good?
These are on the event site.
Also are Avon & goodyear any good?

Always previously had pirelli's, michelin (V expensive)

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Vig, we buy from tyreweb in ashford.

Avon are excellent tyres mate, I have run them on some serious machinery in the past. They are a racing tyre company aswell so should be good.

Goodyears are excellent, particularly the F1 for your motor but are overpriced for what you get.

Brands such as falken & nangkang make a good tyre for the price.

As for pirelli, the p6000 is a great tyre in the wet, excellent dispersement of water and very well wearing. For me however it is too hard a tyre.

A brand I really like is toyo, their proxes is a great tyre and I have a set of 4 235/50/15 which are rare as hens teeth, Im saving these for when I eventually get round to doing a MKII Gti.

T

thecraw

Pirelli in my opinion are one of the fastest wearing tyres on the market, granted they grip the road but they wear quicker than any.

Kumho tyres are superb, I put 4 onto my Golf I had a few years back and they were superb, originally put two on the front and replaced the rear ones as well, hard wearing and very good quality.

Other tyres which I have found to be very good value/all rounder is Federal.

I will be looking for two 205/45/16 tyres next month.

marmar

Club Champion
Visit site
I'd vote for the toyos, had them on mine and they grip is immense in the wet, they are however pretty soft and you can go through them pretty quickly. I'm running Bridgestone Potenza RE050s at the moment, good performace wet and dry and hard wearing in comparison, big step up in price from the toyos though.

Handycap

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok so it may be too late, but I've only just read this thread.
The best method I've found is online here: http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/

You order your tyres on line and get an all in price of fitting, balancing etc. Just enter your vehicle registration and change any details in case you have different wheels fitted from the original show room purchase. The price is given prior to purchase and you even get to choose from a wide range of preferred fitters in your area.

Just try it for fun and see if this method works out cheaper than others you have tried.

Handycap

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fair enough, I didn't know which brand you opted for so couldn't check myself. I was pleased with their online service, but having an obliging nephew in the tyre trade I guess is hard to beat!
Pleased you got yourself sorted with a great deal.