Disappointed with Galvin Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I'm curious to know why this thread was resurrected?

As a point of note, I never did get it resolved with GG. I still have the GG jacket - couldn't bear to throw it away at the price I paid....... It still leaks in heavy rain.... but it's a reasonable lightweight wind jacket and works OK in light showers, so still useful in my carry bag.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Just read through this and (even though it is hard to judge without seeing the actual jacket and experiment on it), my guess is that the problem is indeed the puncture damage. The Goretex membrane is able to spread moisture around very quickly. Actually, that is it's function. To transport moisture, so it can evaporate. Normally that means soak up sweat at the areas where you sweat the most and transport it away from those areas. But when the membrane is battered with water from the outside, it will spread that around equally well, activly sucking the water inside the jacket, explaining why you not only get wet in the direct vicinity of the puncture holes, but all over. The "functionality" of the jacket is actually making matters worse here.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Hi Capella,

The three snags in question are indeed minute, not much more than a pin prick, located on the back of the jacket near the bottom hem. I still do not believe that the volume of water in the shoulders and down the top of the sleeves could get in through those tiny pin pricks and then travel up the back and through the shoulders down the sleeves..... And even now the snags were patched and heat sealed, and I've refinished the garment with Grangers Xtreme Repel as per instructions on GG website. Run it under a tap and the water beads off, but wear it in heavy rain and I end up soaking wet with water being absorbed eventually, especially around the shoulder areas......

Anyways, like I said, it's a useful windshirt, not so useful waterproof...

tracey ward

Visit site
Just to explain - this was me. I am not a spammer as I have been labeled for the first time in my life and have asked the editor of the Forum to unblock me (now using my wife's account!). I am just someone who genuinely had a bad experience with GG and simply searched the website to see if anyone else had experienced similar. I found several and just posted my factual experience and personal opinion on the relevant threads that I found. I stand by my opinion that the GG water-proof clothing I purchased is not worth the money and I am so disappointed that I have forwarded my complaint to Trading Standards for their consideration. As an ex-Serviceman of 35 years who has worn Gore-tex in several environments (including sport) and taken part in MoD clothing trials, I am fully aware of the properties and performance of this material, which is the reason why I am so disappointed with this very expensive clothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.