Different degrees in drivers

myhopper

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ive been offered a ping G15 driver, 1yr old but pretty much mint condition for £90, I don't own a driver so have looked up on it on eBay, seems to be alot of 10.5 degree drivers, but I'm sure this one is 9 degree, what is score here? How would I know to get a certain degree or not etc?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You should perhaps bear in mind that AG are offering new G15s for £125 - as the G20 is out, so clearance on last year's model.

Ping is a company that 'fibs' about the loft (measures it at a place to satisfy the 'low loft ego', so true loft is probably nearer 10 or even 11 anyway! Shaft does have a significant effect but Pings are normall pretty solid.

Best to try it out first!

Love mine btw! :D

Last edited:

myhopper

Medal Winner
Visit site
I struggling with the driver I lent so reverted to 3 wood as I do pretty well with it being straight and 230-250yds, but last round I had the first 9 I was awful with the wood so decided to use the driver again, did really well with it for reasons unknown!?
I'd say luck so probably still call my 3 wood my best attempt!
Wouldn't mind owning a driver to at least try to get used to once the time is right anyway, pretty sure the guy said shaft is stiff, although £90 doesn't seem too cheap now, but eBay has lots of new and used for £120 upwards, not seen any on phone less than £90 with still more than a day left in bidding

myhopper

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you can hit a 3 wood 230 - 250 yards then you are a big hitter indeed. Whats your handicap?
Very early days atm, have only played 5 games in the last 5-6 weeks, never picked up a club before that, so playing off 28 for the foreseeable future! I've managed to knock 29 shots off in the 5 games, even though it's early I would have preferred that to be 35-40 knocked off after the last session where i let myself down with the 3 wood teeing off, it's going to be a while before I can start getting around in 100 or under! But I'm happy enough learning and practicing atm

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hopper

Most high handicap players are best off starting with a driver between 10.5 and 12 degrees in a regular shaft. the less loft a club has the harder it is to get off the ground and the more likely you are to slice it. A stiff shaft can make this issue worse.

As you'll understand many people are sceptical when a high handicap player states he can hit a 3 wood 230-250 yds as many low handicap players can only average 220 yds with a 3 wood and often strugle to hit 250 yds with a driver.

You can get a very good new driver for less than £100 but my advice would be to go to a pro shop and try a few out before parting with your cash.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
As you'll understand many people are sceptical when a high handicap player states he can hit a 3 wood 230-250 yds as many low handicap players can only average 220 yds with a 3 wood and often strugle to hit 250 yds with a driver.

Would it be fair to say that handicap doesn't necessarily dictate distance?

I can't reach 250 with a driver, yet all the regular guys I play with can, and some easily. I have one mate who can outdrive me every time with 17* hybrid. He's rubbish.

Someone who can hit 230 with a 3 wood might do OK with a 9 degree driver. Whether is can go straight or not is another question.

myhopper

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'll have a look tomorrow at what driver I've been using.....
I'm estimating 3 wood distance on the course based on definitely hitting those distances on the range, albeit different on the range yes, hence adding in the lower 220yd example too! Tbh it's all so involved and conflicting yet all arguements make sense etc, ATM I'd be happy to use any club hitting upto 200yd in the direction I'm aiming every time lol!!