Different bunker shot distance method.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi folks,
I was wondering which is the best way to hit different yardages from greenside bunkers?
When in a greenside bunker I am just looking to get the ball onto the green & proceed from there, I'm not aiming to get within a couple of feet, I'm not good enough.
I'm imagining that there is a choice of two methods to differentiate between a, say, 15ft shot and a 45ft shot.
I generally hit every bunker shot with a pretty full swing, I just increase the distance I hit behind the ball to take distance off my shot. Others seem to hit the same distance behind the ball, but adjust the speed of their swing depending on the distance they want to hit the ball.
Are either of these methods correc t or is there another way of playing greenside bunker shots?
Thanks,

Slime.

P.S. My Sand Wedge is 55º with 12º of bounce and my Lob Wedge is 60º with 4º of bounce.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
My pro said that if I have a slightly longer shot, say to a pin at the back, when in a front bunker, just open the face of the club a bit less and the ball wil fly a bit further. Equally for a really short one, open the fact a bit more. Works well. Much easier than trying to hit the sand in a different place or swing harder or softer.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are either of these methods correc t or is there another way of playing greenside bunker shots?
Thanks,

Slime.

P.S. My Sand Wedge is 55º with 12º of bounce and my Lob Wedge is 60º with 4º of bounce.

both appear in books and articles, as does adjusting the loft of the club or changing clubs.

find the one that works for you and your conditions and stick to it

personally I like the simplicity of visualising the same contact point in the sand, and the expectation of the same volume of sand etc I just use a swing that would give me twice the distance required if played from the fairway as a pitch. playing infrequent bunker shots, but frequent pitches, I feel some confidence when on the beach.

alternativly get one shot - as I think it's Michelson says, if you can hit the 30ft shot you will be good for a high percentage of greenside bunker play.