Diamana Ahina

RaCs

Club Champion
Visit site
Good morning lads!

Just wanted to get opinions on people who currently game this shaft? I am thinking of re-shafting my driver and the current driver I play is a Nike Covert which is set at 10.5 loft on neutral. The problem is that I find with this shaft is that it is just too light for me. It’s a 50g stock Kuro Kage shaft and I feel that when I get to the top of my swing I find it difficult to control the clubface and the club in general. Consistent slice with the driver :( so it pretty much stays in the bag every round because I prefer using my 3 wood which I can hit with consistency (it has a heavier shaft and i feel much much more confident with it).

The Ahina 70g stiff flex is just one of a few shafts i am looking at so just wanted to know if anyone actually plays this shaft and if they do actually play it on a covert?

I eagerly await your views and responses!

p.s. What are everyones plans this weekend golfing wise??

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ahina is definitely a 'stouter' feeling shaft - equivalent to the Whiteboard - but it's also Low launch/Low spin - compared to Kuro Kage's 'mid' Launch/Spin.

If you are happy with your current flight - and certainly if you are already hitting it pretty low - then perhaps a heavier version of the Kuro might be better.

Generally, it's the torque parameter that indicates suitability for those sensitive to 'losing the clubface' and Kuro is mid (or just above). Ahina is certainly lower.

An alternative is to actually swing smoother, though if that's not natural shafts lower torque shafts generally help. I know I can adjust, though the swing isn't necessarily 'graceful'!

Remember that there's only so far 'buying a swing' can help!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have this shaft in my anser driver. Its a great shaft but you do need to commit to every shot. It doesnt like to be hit softly.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ahina is low launch and low spin. If you didn't want to go too low, the Kaili would be slightly higher launch and spin than the Ahina.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi everyone, newbie here, but not new to golf.

Hi RaCs: For me, the answer would depend on your Swing Speed (constant average not sunday best!), Average carry distance, your Smash factor, Angle of attack and Launch angle.
You'd have to get some time on Trackman or GC2 and hit quite a few balls to find out.
The shaft you are thinking of changing too will need a high-ish SS with optimum launch conditions to generate the current distance you get with the shaft you're using now. As it's a low-mid launch shaft, low torque, but to generate optimum distance you need a launch angle approximately around 13d.
What your normal Angle of Attack is will have a large bearing on it, if you have minus numbers here plus you don't generate your own average SS above 105mph, my take on it would be you might struggle to get your current distance. But if you have an average SS above that with a plus Angle of attack then it might work for you.

Average swing speed with a driver Cat 1 Amateurs around 105/106mph (despite what they might think they swing it at!)

At that speed for every minus degree downward attack angle with a driver off a tee you'll lose 7 yards of distance.

Basically you've really got to know your numbers at impact properly before you change shafts as if your just doing it on feel alone you could well waste a good deal of money you didn't need to spend on shafts.
Generally whatever you have now as your usual pattern of flight will to a large extent remain, changes to improve technique will have more of a change on flight patterns than shaft change in the majority of cases.
Cheers.