Defunct / Inactive handicap

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
So if starting out for first handicap, I think you can have members mark 3 cards either in informal games (which may be of yellows tees as long as indicated on card) or during a comp.

I think I read something that to activate an inactive handicap you have to submit cards from qualifying comps - is that correct?

I've had a dig about and found a handicap cert from late 2009 - so is that an inactive handicap, or do i just start again as if never had one?

Forum experts please help.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
on the basis that your handicap certificate related to a membership that ceased more than 6 months prior to your joining your new club you will need to be allocated a new handicap.

however, you must pass over that certificate to your new club handicap committee, which, together with your required cards, will be used in allocating your new handicap. Given the time period there would have to be a very significant disparity between the result of your submitted cards and previous handicap for anything other than the cards to be used for the allocation eg cards for 26, previous handicap 8... :)

if you don't declare your previous handicap, and it subsequently comes up (I've had a number of such situations) things can get rather nasty regardless of whether it would have been material! It can also be a problem for you if you end up with more than 1 CDH record going forwards and change clubs again - again a classic case example on this happened last month and came to light via an HDID forum question.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Duncan

I don't think he has said that he has changed clubs - he may be a "dormant" handicap holder. I recently had one who thought he had to submit 3 cards for handicap but he still had a handicap - inactive - from the time he had previously submitted 3 cards 6 years ago. Amazingly his inactive handicap was pretty close to the mark. He needs to clarify if the recently discovered certificate relates to the same club of which he is a member.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
OP has had a break from club membership (another thread in lounge), so he will submit 3 cards and info now he has rejoined including previous held h/cap details, but do 3 cards to reactivate an inactive h/cap Have to be qualifiers or is that just the way some clubs work?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Thanks for replies. pbrown has it spot on, new club after a break and intend to submit the old hcap info along with cards.
If just cards marked by members then it could potentially be something can complete fairly quickly with light evenings etc. But if qualifiers only then could be weeks away.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
but do 3 cards to reactivate an inactive h/cap Have to be qualifiers or is that just the way some clubs work?

In order to reactivate an inactive handicap the player may submit cards from a combination of qualifying competitions (9 or 18 hole) or Supplementary Scores (declared prior to play in whatever procdure specified by his club).