Deep divots !

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I some times take a deep divot on my irons. What could the cause be ? I'm assuming my body drops lower on the down swing BUT I don't ever notice this or has it ever been mentioned.

Any Ideas ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
deep divots, with/without decent strike, mean that club is still going down when you hit the ball. Some Pros take huge deep divots, so it's not necessarily a fault, though normally is to be avoided.

Possible causes are upright swing, steep swing, ball position (back), body moving ahead of the ball as ell as the torso dropping that you mentioned - which could be caused by a couple of things - legs dipping or body leaning/fallinf forward.

I'd suggest that you try half swings to get the timing and action, then build up to 3/4 , then full swing. Check stance, balance (posture) and ball position at set-up.

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
deep divots, with/without decent strike, mean that club is still going down when you hit the ball. Some Pros take huge deep divots, so it's not necessarily a fault, though normally is to be avoided.

Possible causes are upright swing, steep swing, ball position (back), body moving ahead of the ball as ell as the torso dropping that you mentioned - which could be caused by a couple of things - legs dipping or body leaning/fallinf forward.

I'd suggest that you try half swings to get the timing and action, then build up to 3/4 , then full swing. Check stance, balance (posture) and ball position at set-up.

The body moving in front of the ball was an old problem I had so maybe it's been creeping back in.

Thanks

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Example being if I'm hitting my 6 to a green 160yards away then the ball will only carry about 60 yards

Still have this one in my bag - I'm told it looks like I am trying to throw myself down the fairway with the ball - a sort of cricket off drive movement. I try to focus on keeping my eyes on the back of the ball and staying behind it.

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a serious case of this a couple of years ago. I started lessons and the pro helped me make more of a rotation on the backswing rather than a rocking shoulder action without much rotation.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I some times take a deep divot on my irons. What could the cause be ? I'm assuming my body drops lower on the down swing BUT I don't ever notice this or has it ever been mentioned.

Any Ideas ?

Try to think of swinging through the ball and not hitting at the ball. It might help to shallow the swing out if you are a bit steep and also helps you to keep accelerating through the ball. Job is not complete until the club is above shoulders on your follow through.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Example being if I'm hitting my 6 to a green 160yards away then the ball will only carry about 60 yards

1. I didn't pick a 6 iron from the bag by mistake
2. I hit the big ball first
3. I hit the big ball first
4. I hit the big ball first
5. I hit the big ball first...........

hit the small ball first - any other issues will result in ball flight issues but from what you are posting........you are hitting the big ball first :)