Declaring a stroke play competition a non-qualifier

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does anyone know if, under CONGU rules, a stroke play stableford competition can be declared a non-qualifier by the Committee before play begins as a special one-off dispensation - say for fun at Christmas to save more aged players slogging round in the freezing cold playing 'serious golf' - or must a specific 'fun element' be added in first (say maybe one mulligan for each player on front and back nine, 3-club challenge or team event etc?)

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From the CONGU UHS manual
It is against the spirit and intent of the system to adjust the terms and conditions of a competition
deliberately, so that it is rendered non-qualifying on a technicality.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does anyone know if, under CONGU rules, a stroke play stableford competition can be declared a non-qualifier by the Committee before play begins as a special one-off dispensation - say for fun at Christmas to save more aged players slogging round in the freezing cold playing 'serious golf' - or must a specific 'fun element' be added in first (say maybe one mulligan for each player on front and back nine, 3-club challenge or team event etc?)

Yes they can.

What they can't do is change the status after it's started.

Whether they should is a different issue :confused:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe they could run a fun completion along side it the qualifier. Giving a choice to those who do want the qualifier, and those that don’t.

I would hate if a qualifier was to be taken away from me in place of a “fun” format!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have one event that is a non-qualifier. It is stableford and we have a stop/bar half way along the course.

Can't see why that would make it a non-qualifier. Many clubs run qualifiers with a halfway house for a stop for refreshments - or maybe it's more than a little stop.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I thought you were not allowed to stop during a competition round (except when play is suspended for all due to lightening).

You can't stop to seek shelter from rain so why would it be ok to stop for a snack and a whisky?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought you were not allowed to stop during a competition round (except when play is suspended for all due to lightening).

You can't stop to seek shelter from rain so why would it be ok to stop for a snack and a whisky?

6-8a/2.7

Entering Clubhouse or Half-Way House for Refreshment During Round

Q.May a player, between the play of two holes, enter the clubhouse or a "half-way house" to obtain a refreshment if he then proceeds immediately to the next tee and consumes the food and/or drink while continuing his round?

A.Yes. A player may enter the clubhouse or a half-way house without penalty (see Note to Rule 6-8a).

However, the player must not unduly delay either his own play or that of his opponent or any other competitor (Rule 6-7).

If the entire field are doing it, there shouldn't be undue delay - unless some want more than one snifter.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As I am very dim - the OP referred to a Stroke Play Stableford Competition - what other sort of Stableford competition is there that isn't stroke play? It may just be my squinty thinking not realising...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There's always one :whistle:

Hope not referring to my question. I honestly do not know how stroke play stableford differs from stableford - or what other form of stableford there is. Of course I know there is fourball stableford; greensomes stableford; foursomes stableford; individual stableford etc - but I don't know what stroke play stableford is.