deciding new set of clubs pls help

james1985

Visit site
Hi guys 1st post.

I have been playing golf or at least trying to for 2 years now on and off. I have decided to start going a lot more often lately.

My problem is i currently have a basic set of wilson ultra clubs. cheap and chearful at the time.
I recently upgraded my Driver to a 15" as i was slicing constantly with the 10.5.

I am currently hitting a poor 105 per round for a par 72 course.

as for the Irons which are what i am looking at next to purchase, I scuff the ground a lot or hit it before the ball a lot. i also dont get much if any flight from clubs such as 5,6 and sometimes 7. i also slice the shots a lot.

i avg around 6 balls lost per round atm.

sorry to ask but can anyone advise me on some game improvement irons that may suit me.
I am looking at a budget of around £500 maybe £550 at most for irons.

Many thanks :)

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Hello there and welcome to the forum where do you live where do you play?

I don't think any irons will help with your ball striking as none can move your swing plane or where the earth is at any given time.

Get some lessons from a good pro and work on what they show you and stick with what you have for now. Work hard over the winter and treat yourself to some nice new shiny irons next spring. You should still have more than enough left in your budget for a good set after paying for some lessons.

Good luck mate it is worth it in the end.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

As has been suggested, I'd delay buying new clubs and I'd spend the money on lessons first.

A good pro will get your basics right (very important) and then work on your swing.

You'll see the benefits almost immediately.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Any golf shop or internet shop will gladly relieve you of £500 - £600 for a set of irons.

As suggested above, go and see a pro, have a couple of lessons to get the basics right and then ask the pro what he would recommend for you. I can almost guarantee he wouldn't be suggesting £500 irons.
He will most likely point you in the direction of game improvement irons, ie, cavity backed forgiving irons. Don't think you have to go out and buy brand spanking new ones (they are nice though!) There are perfectly adequate and mint conditioned 2nd hand examples out there.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

As has been suggested, I'd delay buying new clubs and I'd spend the money on lessons first.

A good pro will get your basics right (very important) and then work on your swing.

You'll see the benefits almost immediately.

I agree.

If you really want to buy some clubs, (and have the money to burn) just go and get a set of game improvement irons that will last you indefinitely. Titlesist AP1s, Ping G15s, Callaway X-2?

middlem

Visit site
recently got a set of 3year old irons and 2year old driver for 150 off ebay. defo get a few lessons will pay off more than new clubs. you will be able to play with anything if you do it right.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
defo get a few lessons will pay off more than new clubs. you will be able to play with anything if you do it right.

Yep. My irons are ancient and my "new" clubs old models.

MoonPig

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would stick with the wilson irons. Don`t be drawn into having the latest gear or the big name brands when starting out. The Wilson irons will be super game improvement and that is what i would stick with until you develop a consistent swing by getting lessons. I know plenty of golfers who reach high teens with similar clubs before upgrading.