David Leadbetter DVDs

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Before anyone says anything I am not trying to sell anything to anyone. I know this forum doesnt like new members advertising anything.

I am simply wanting let people know my opinion on the Dvds and why I think they are great.

Firstly I do not have a handicap yet, hoping to fix that this summer. I never played any golf as a kid having only taken up recently.

The reason I like the dvds are as follows.

1. Cost. Same price as a golf lesson.
2.Indept information and drills. It covers the basics really well.
3. The interactive section where you video your swing and compare it with other. Mine is in an awful mess. But this allows me to see where I am going wrong and hopefully correct it.

I am going to post some scores from last year and hopefully post some more after this year and see if my game has improved any from that. Only time will tell. The beauty of the game is simply playing it, if only I could play it better.

B

birdieman

3. The interactive section where you video your swing and compare it with other. Mine is in an awful mess. But this allows me to see where I am going wrong and hopefully correct it.

You want to be careful trying to copy the 'perfect swing' from a DVD, it is most likely an impossible goal.
Look at Jim Furyk and Ryan Moore as perfect examples - their swings are highly unorthodox and nothing like the swings Leadbetter is saying is correct on his DVD's but they are both brilliant golfers.

I would say there is more merit in spending your cash on lessons than on DVD's. Even if you think you are implementing what you see on tv you probably aren't. It is not easy for anyone to properly analyse their own swing, best someone else does it, ie a PGA pro.

Fair enough watching training viedoes and reading swing books does help to a point but a whole series of dvd's cant replace some proper coaching.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Would be rather reluctant to use any swing analysis software to compare my swing with a top pro. Quite simply I am not atune to what I should be looking at exactly and how to fix it

HID got me a set of 3 videos many Christmas's ago and I have to say not only were they really dry and boring but I didn't actually find that much benefit from them. I'd rather book a lesson where you get direct coaching on how you are swinging then and now and get an immediate feedback when you hit a shot on the range/practice ground

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The whole idea of this set is first to give you small exercises to help - I don’t think it is supposed to be a replacement for coaching.
The interactive part lets you slo mo your swing and then you can see where you are wrong - this can also be sent to Leadbetter academy who will also analyze it for you.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont intend using the dvds as my only source of information. I have been for lessons before and intend to take more in the future but for now I feel that the interactive section allows me to see my own swing and where I can improve it. I am not trying to copy a swing of someone else but using their swings to compare it with my own. I understand a pro will see a lot more with my swing than I will and its quicker but its much more fun running in and out of the garden taken a few swings and then watching them...no matter how funny they are.
Also most lessons now give you the option of taping your swing for you also.

I know everyones swing is different but the basics which I dont have can be spotted by a complete novice thanks to the video section. for example I now know that my left arm breaks in my back swing and that I swing back too far and my left knee bends too much....the list goes on. It is really helping me get an understanding of the swing and where my different parts of my body are supposed to be at differnt stages.

It may not be everyones cup of tea but me I love it. Hopefully it will help my game.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just back from some rough ground where I practised with my pitching wedge using some of the pointers from Leadbetters DVDS and have felt I hit the ball better than ever. Just concentrated on a couple of thoughts and was striking the ball well.

Will step out some yardage this week when I go back to get a rough idea of distance. It was windy today but the good strikes were going roughly the same distance...the bad were still as bad as ever but not as often....

Will bring some longer irons this week and see how I strike them.