Daft one but how do you......

Martylaa

Club Champion
Visit site
Determine your golf handicap when you start out, just getting into golf and have lessons booked but i want to be able to gauge my progress over the next few years so how do i work out and keep track of my handicap????

DazYeo

Hacker
Visit site
I too am a starter. The way I do it is a max of 2 over par on every hole that I've wrecked, the rest speaks for itself.

I find my handicap (not yet official) bounces between 26 and 29, so the 28 is about right.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Real handicaps are not worked out from average scores. Your handicap will usually be around the best score in 4/5 rounds so be aware that if you calculate an unofficial one using average score (even if you discard > double bogeys) if you ever join a club you may find your official one is a few shots less.

benhobden

Club Champion
Visit site
Without getting an offical H/C you can assume that it is likely to be 28. A good way to look at it is a beginner is not to give too much concern to it. Concentrate on having a good time, get plenty of those lessons in and it will come down in no time!

19th

Head Pro
Visit site
If I were you I would just give myself a 28 handicap and play with this using par on the course you are playing to see if you are better or worse than 28.

Scoring 100 on a 70 par course will give you a 2 over par return (100-28=72)
Keep doing this but if you beat par by two you only deduct 1 shot from your handicap until you do it again. (96-28=66 handicap now down by 3 shots not four)

As you are going to improve don't bother with an upward adjustment - put that down to a bad day at the office - and soon you will see a band of results that will give a good indication of your playing ability. At that time you can then fine tune your handicap by using the formula as set out on the sites but at the start the formula making a nine count as a five, is nonsense and counting a 70 par as SSS 68 or 72 is also nonsense!

Just go and enjoy and keep us informed of progress.