Cutting down driver shaft

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
Guys, always struggled with drivers, just don't feel comfortable which the longer shafts of a driver or 3 wood. Have had a couple of lessons and pro claims the shaft I have is a little too stiff. Really want a new 913 but house purchase has scuppered golf goodies!! As a stop gap, I may lop an inch off my shaft and re-grip, see if it helps my consistency. Your thoughts?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Guys, always struggled with drivers, just don't feel comfortable which the longer shafts of a driver or 3 wood. Have had a couple of lessons and pro claims the shaft I have is a little too stiff. Really want a new 913 but house purchase has scuppered golf goodies!! As a stop gap, I may lop an inch off my shaft and re-grip, see if it helps my consistency. Your thoughts?

If you shorten it then consider whacking some lead tape on it to restore the swingweight (or use another method) but also to help keep the shaft playing more as it is now. Shortening without adding weight to the head end would lead to the shaft playing stiffer (assuming you're not already gripping down).

An 1" is probably a good number as you can always have it safely extended back by that amount if that's your preference or you wan to sell it on.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Try 'choking down' on it first!

Better testing it out rather than just doing it and finding it doesn't help!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you shorten it then consider whacking some lead tape on it to restore the swingweight (or use another method) but also to help keep the shaft playing more as it is now. Shortening without adding weight to the head end would lead to the shaft playing stiffer (assuming you're not already gripping down).

An 1" is probably a good number as you can always have it safely extended back by that amount if that's your preference or you wan to sell it on.

Butt triming I always thought kept the shaft flex pretty much the same, but would reduce the swing weight a few points. Tip trimming would have more of an effect on the flex of the shaft.

Happy to be corrected if that info Re: trimming is incorrect :D

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Butt triming I always thought kept the shaft flex pretty much the same, but would reduce the swing weight a few points. Tip trimming would have more of an effect on the flex of the shaft.

Happy to be corrected if that info Re: trimming is incorrect :D

Pretty much is not the same as no effect, the effect isn't huge and we're talking shortening a club here so would that's normal to butt trim.

I posted this link the other day, see post number 26 but I find all of that fellows post pretty interesting and informative.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/664636-proper-length-fitting-how-it-needs-to-be-done/

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
Ive trimmed an inch off a few of my drivers. The swing weight isnt affected imo neither is the stiffness.

Tip trimming makes the shaft stiffer

Consistency wise it made no difference to me. I was getting stuck on the way down and no club modification could sort that lol