Cut price golf stores

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
The superstores are great for the new golfer as where else will they go? They can buy online of course, but so many of them are simply unaware that they don't have to be a club member to purchase equipment from their local pro.
That certainly applied to me. I (automatically) assumed that on line would be cheaper and bought a 'set' (rhubarb) but have since replaced everything through my pro and my irons (Di7) were secondhand having been used for three rounds and disliked.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I was talking to my Pro the other week (the last time I set eyes on a course ) and he mentioned he was setting up a putter fitting room with a TV and video so that he can offer video replays of lessons and the likes, I was very impressed as it’s a muni and he is quite new and is pro to two muni's in Leeds well three as one course has 2 massive 18 holers.

Anyway I was thinking when I do get the cash together for some new irons I will take my business to him, but I like the thought of a hassle free AG though, where if something is wrong I can complain, if something goes balls up with the Pro and I am not happy its my home course and not really an ideal place to lodge a complaint. I understand Jon getting free lessons but I don’t take lessons or have anything to offer them other than my golfing needs.

So local or corporate who knows, but I have noticed the smaller Golf retailers (non pro shops just high street sme) closing.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What will AG give you that your pro won't? The guys who sell clubs certainly won't be experts although they are all decent golfers at my local store. I believe your pro would be able to help you choose a better set than any sales guy in a store.Because it's your home course surely your pro would be crazy to sell you a set that's not right, although you might not complain directly to him I'm sure you'd tell all your mates about poor service so he has a vested interest in selling you a set that's right for you otherwise his reputation would be damaged?

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The superstores are great for the new golfer as where else will they go? They can buy online of course, but so many of them are simply unaware that they don't have to be a club member to purchase equipment from their local pro.

IMHO opinion MWJ that is the most important and salient detail of this discussion. How many pro shops does one see with the sign 'open to the public' on it? I'm not stupid enough to think that the answer to this is as simple as it first appears. in fact I can think of at least two reasons off the top of my head.

1) It is a covenant of the contract with the club that they are not allowed to do so.
2) They don't feel the need to encourage more business- fair play

The truth is I simply don't know the answer but perhaps someone on here does. I would really like to know. Certainly if one does a dealer search then the brand endorsed agents and their locations pop up.

It would certainly never have occured to me to think of going to a pro shop outside of membership until recently. Although I have changed clubs, providing my pro still wants my business and the committee don't throw me off site after I hand in my Dear John... letter in March, i'll STILL get the balance of my gear from him. He's a really decent bloke, works very hard and loves the game.

I have had bad experiences at AG and this is the other reason I boycott them, equally though, many people have had excellent service from them.

I couldn't say ive had bad experiences but I guess it's all relative. It fits a niche and as long as that niche doesn't develop into a chasm then so be it. As a species I think we have a tendancy to stick with what we know and remain in the 'comfort zone'. If ones comfort zone is AG or NB then fair enough. Live and let live.

I'm just scared of a scenario where in ten years time I go to an ultragolf megalopolis to get a new grip put on and young Sharon comes out with the line,' 'puter says no.'

AdrianC

Visit site
Is the choice of local pro to buying online/superstore down to selection and price over service and which is more important to you.

Sadly most pro don't have the space to give you the selection but if your pro offers the service which you won't get online, and that is the little tips, lessons, fitting etc then the service is worth every bit of the usually small amount you will save. In most cases they do offer comparable prices too.

But online does usually offer a far greater selection so there is a place for both