Custom fitting - the full set!

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
I was fitted for my current irons a few years ago when I first started playing. I'm looking to upgrade this year but want to hit the full set. I seem to remember only hitting a 7 iron for this process. Is this the norm? Or does anyone else know where I can hit the full set?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hitting a full set for a fit would be time consuming (and therefore usually have a financial hit in terms of booking a longer session) and tiring. When I've had fittings, I take my own clubs and use a couple (usually a 5, 7 and 9) to get base line numbers. If it's a full fitting I'll also take a hybrid and driver as starter clubs. Once I find a set and fit I like, I have been known to then book a second session with the new sticks and do a gap test

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
I went to a Titleist Thursday for an iron fitting and I hit hybrid, 5 iron, 7 iron and PW. This spread covered pretty much everything. The carry distance gap between 5 and 7 iron was 20 yards ish, hitting hybrids enabled me to fill the gaps at the top of the bag alongside the 5 iron, the PW enabled me to then look at different wedge gappings and grinds at the lower end of the bag.

That whole process probably took 90 minutes and a lot of balls hit. As Homer said once you've got the set and have got used to the new sticks you could do a gapping session to see if any lofts needed tweaking if gappings are slightly out?

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Find a local golf club and book yourself in to be fitted for woods and irons. Most of the manufacturers tour golf clubs and if you say when you're booking that you want irons and woods then.
Mine has got Titleist, Callaway and Srixon in during March. It will help if you've got an idea which brand you want to go with and you won't necessarily need to be a member of the club.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've had quite a few fittings down the years. Been given a 7 iron to hit, that in recent times is jacked to a 6 iron loft, kinda proves little. They're usually relatively easy to hit and usually go that little bit further due to the jacking. Yeah if its a butter knife muscle back you might see some variance in strike and distance but I do feel its harder to find the right set if a spread of makes and lofts aren't hit.

A few years ago I went to a TM fitting day. As expected, the 7 iron was a beast but I wanted to see what the longer irons were like. He passed me a 4 iron, and it was awful.

If you can find somewhere that does a full set fitting, go for it. Equally, unless you're desperate to buy, walk away if you can't hit across the range of lofts.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. Always helpful to tap I to the wisdom of the forum before shelling out nearly a grand on new bats!!