Custom fit @ the Belfry

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had my custom fitting session yesterday at the Belfry – if you’re easily bored, look away now…

I got there early, so hit 80 balls to warm up.

Firstly Tommy (the fitter) and I discussed my current game, faults and what I was looking for. I know quite a lot about my game, but obviously not the reason behind the results. I told him that I hit my irons well, but the ball just doesn’t land where I want it to. I’m rarely far away but I can be long, short, right and left…. (Good luck mate!) I said I was happy with the trajectory and distance, but wanted consistency and accuracy. My current irons are Taylormade RAC OS with regular shaft – purchased without even trying them about 4 years ago.

He then watched me hit about 8 balls with my 6 iron – a couple went left, a couple right and the others pretty well. This just confirmed what I had already told him, but I guess he knew the reasons behind it. He then set up the launch monitor and I hit another 8 balls. Again there were a couple left, a couple right, a few good ones and this time a couple slightly fat.

Some of the stats were as id expect, but some not! My flight was too low (I wouldn’t have thought so), spin rate generally too low (definite surprise as my 6 iron normally stops where it lands??), side spin wasn’t consistent and was too high (thought so). The real big one for me was distance control though – 160 yards with the 2 fat shots. The others were 175 – 190 with one of 205. How did I ever manage to hit a green?? Oh yeah, I didn’t! (Just 2 on Saturday, although I shot 83 – net 70)

Then it was time for the stickers to check where on the face I connect with the ball, and where on the sole I connect with the floor. I knew I hit the ball slightly out of the toe, but thought my lie angle was probably correct. I was very wrong about my lie angle. It turns out I am rather upright when I hit the ball as my swing plane becomes steep on the way back.

Tommy then nipped off for a few minutes to gather the clubs he thought I should try. They were the ones I would have expected to be fair – Taylormade R7, Callaway X20 and Tommys top suggestion of Ping G10 – apparently they have weight low in the face to promote a higher launch angle, which is what I need. All clubs had a stiff & heavier shaft, ½ inch longer (surprised me as I’m only 5’ 10”) and 3 – 4 degrees upright.

I then hit a few balls with G10 with the stickers on and using the launch monitor. Somehow the club felt better in my hands before I even hit a ball. I was amazed by the difference!! Ball coming straight off the middle of the face – exactly where I aimed 7 times out of 10, with the other 3 being much closer than with my own clubs. The launch angle was obviously higher, but Ping custom fit using 7 irons rather than 6… When I saw the results on the launch monitor I was impressed to see my launch angle and spin rate were much more consistent and exactly what they should be for my swing speed. The distance I hit each ball was much more consistent – 168 to 176 ish. If these clubs could cook my wife would have been in trouble!

I tried the taylormade (which I expected to buy) and the calloways plus the Ping S58 (which I liked on a demo day earlier in the year). I hit them all pretty well – much better then my current irons, but they couldn’t compare to the G10. Finally I compared my 7 iron with the G10 7 iron – I had been playing with an arm tied behind my back!!

In 2 weeks my Ping G10, 4 – SW, silver dot, with ½ inch longer AWT stiff shafts and “white” grip will be delivered. I can’t wait to start playing with them and hopefully hit more greens and break 80 more regularly. Couldn’t be happier with the service and must say I was a little surprised at the price - £464 – cheaper than I’ve seen them online. I would have been happy to pay a premium for the service I received. Well worth the 155 mile round trip.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I enjoyed your post very much and am really pleased for you despite my comments about custom fitting.

Incidently £464 is good, considering the RRP is £469.

Please keep us up to date with your progress, here's hoping you'll rename yourself par_birdie_par!

Dave

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice post, pppt. Reminiscent of my experience for my own custom fitting sessions for my woods. Boy, does it tell you a lot. Will definitely get custom fit for the next set of irons now.

Gypsyrico

Visit site
I am really happy with my old Mizuno Pro irons, and couldn't really strike the ball any better with anything else. The problem I have is I don't think I am getting the best from my driver shaft. Is it possible to go to The Belfry just to get help with which shaft to put in my R7?

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Give them a call - 01675 470301

They charge £50 for a fiting, but you get a £50 voucher for the pro shop - probably go towards the cost of a new shaft...

Gypsyrico

Visit site
Yeah you could be right, a lot of the time we only practise when we lose it a little, instead of keeping it going so to speak. That's why I want to get fitted asap, because I'm right on my game, and hopefully should get a true fit. We'll see.

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I should be on commission…

They use golf bidder, so will give you the price that golf bidder offer them – generally not as much as you would get on ebay