Cupped left wrist...

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Someone make me stop doing this. Any ideas?...I know I could stick a ruler down the glove but what's the likely cause, dodgy grip? right arm problem?

cheers

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Has anyone said to you in the past "swing it back in a straight line" or "take it straight back" ?

I've probaly heard it all Bob...don't know what I'm trying to do on the way back but yes I think I am trying to take it straight back.

Maybe you could answer this...I just looked at the top of my backswing in the mirror at work :D

Cheers

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That right elbow wont help matters (aalthough Nicklaus did it) but what concerns me is your takeaway.
Be aware of the right wrist hinging on the backswing. That will help flatten the left wrist.
Try it in front of the mirror. It will feel horrible, like your fanning it open if you do it right.

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks Bob. Fanning it open as in opening the club face? I think I may have been trying to avoid this because of something else I've been told, that I should keep the club face closed for as long as I can. My head's full of nonsense! :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been told, that I should keep the club face closed for as long as I can. My head's full of nonsense!

No wonder your cupped at the top.
Adress the ball as normal, then stand up straight and let the club come up too.
Keeping your feet still, turn 90 degrees to your right. See how the club toe points straight at the sky.During the backswing the face should be a little closed due to you bending forward at adress

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suffer from exactley the same problem, i cup my left wrist and that in turn opens the club face making me loose shots to right at times.

My pro told me on my takeaway try to feel as though the club face points sqaure to the ball for abit longer but this tends to make my swing got to pot at times and i seem to come back in too steep and end up hitting shots fat.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but i need help aswell! haha :)

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I suffer from exactley the same problem, i cup my left wrist and that in turn opens the club face making me loose shots to right at times.

My pro told me on my takeaway try to feel as though the club face points sqaure to the ball for abit longer but this tends to make my swing got to pot at times and i seem to come back in too steep and end up hitting shots fat.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but i need help aswell! haha :)

See that's what I was trying but it probably makes it worse. I'm going to play later hopefully and try what Bob was saying.

I was playing well up until a couple of weeks ago but then started to mess with things :(