css

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
just reed the post about the cat 1 golfer and he confused me about the css can someone explain how the css gets worked out in simple terms ? as im simple ;)

thanks

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The CSS will change according to the difficulty of the course on the day. That can be affected by weather, ground conditions, pin positions etc. Once all the cards are in, the computer will calculate the CSS from the scores submitted

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
its not simple!!!
best left to the handicap sec computer, the CSS is calculated off the scores posted the is a full explanantion by someone who knows better than me :D

http://www.handicapmaster.org/handicaps/Unified_Handicapping_System_Page2.php

The concept is pretty simple – even Imurg would agree on that. The CSS will vary from SSS according to the performance of all players of handicap 20 and below. If more than 40% of them score into buffer or better, then that is taken as an indication of easy playing conditions – for whatever reason – and CSS is set at 1 less than SSS.. Between 20 and 39% is the norm for average conditions so CSS is the same as SSS. Below 20% leads to an increase of CSS over SSS – an indication of difficult playing conditions with 4 points on the scale leading to CSS being SSS+1, SSS+2, SSS+3 and, finally SSS+3 Reductions Only.

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The concept is pretty simple – even Imurg would agree on that. The CSS will vary from SSS according to the performance of all players of handicap 20 and below. If more than 40% of them score into buffer or better, then that is taken as an indication of easy playing conditions – for whatever reason – and CSS is set at 1 less than SSS.. Between 20 and 39% is the norm for average conditions so CSS is the same as SSS. Below 20% leads to an increase of CSS over SSS – an indication of difficult playing conditions with 4 points on the scale leading to CSS being SSS+1, SSS+2, SSS+3 and, finally SSS+3 Reductions Only.

Thank you that's makes sense

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Silly me, thinking it was only there to stop my handicap from being cut enough, on the odd occasion when I stumble to a half decent score!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The thing that I don't like about the CSS is that my potential cut is decided by the rest of the field to an extent. Our ladies medals tend to be on the SSS or 1 under and rarely 1 over. Par is 1 over the SSS to start with so a 2 under par score can mean no cut. Then there's the senior ladies medals in which the standard of player is reduced so the CSS usually above SSS. That's kind of ok but a couple of our decent ladies qualify for the seniors and play both comps so are somewhat advantaged in a quest to lower their handicap. I'm about to process a seniors medal from today and the winner is one such player (Cat 2) who is 2 under the SSS but looks like getting a 0.8 or even 1.0 cut for that...

Not sure what the answer is but why not base it on the SSS alone? Sure on bad days everyone will go up 0.1 but that would probably be offset by the cuts on good days.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So why in an open, let's say sandy lodge, as an example, is CSS one shot higher for visitors than it is for members, playing in the same competition?