Cricket and golf

sussexhacker

Visit site
Question for anyone who plays cricket and golf

When you’re in the middle of the summer and playing regular cricket and golf do you feel like one hampers then other?

I started playing golf once a week this summer and I noticed once the cricket season started my hands started doing different things in my golf swing

Anyone else experience this kind of issue?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
you wont be the first or the last!

grip and wrist action are almost polar opposites to some degree, as is the left elbow!

trying to play golf mid cricket season used to be really hard for me as i spent a lot of time in the nets hit cover drives etc

sussexhacker

Visit site
my biggest problem is my wrists which seem to try and turn themselves over sometimes when I hit a golf shot like when you try and turn it into the leg side in cricket

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was told by a teaching pro that the 3 worst sports for golf were cricket, hockey and squash because of the different actions- good job I never played squash or it would have been curtains for the golf!!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was told by a teaching pro that the 3 worst sports for golf were cricket, hockey and squash because of the different actions- good job I never played squash or it would have been curtains for the golf!!!
As someone who grew up playing cricket then hockey, I would agree with that 😁

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s interesting - I played cricket and hockey ( a lot ) and I found it helped me massively , ball to eye coordination especially , you are swinging and hitting a ball , it’s just a bit of tweaking.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
We have a number of ex cricketers in our club. One is a former club champion off 2 handicap. A few were really good batsmen & have truly hideous swings & big handicaps. Doesn't seem to be any correlation between competence at cricket & golf.

I started golfing aged about 11, right handed. I do everything else, including batting, left handed, so I never confused the two swings. I tried golf both ways. I think I went right handed because it was easier to get second hand right handed clubs in those days. My first ones had hickory shafts!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
When I started playing golf in my late 20s. When I started to play I really (and sometimes still do) struggle with not releasing the club fully. The first lessons I had the Pro immediately said, "blimey, another cricketer!!" Thankfully, I was a predominately a keeper who batted a bit, rather than purely a batsman, so my technique wasnt that conventional. But stuff I'd been coached in since the age of 5 was suddenly counter productive in another sport...

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
When I started playing golf in my late 20s. When I started to play I really (and sometimes still do) struggle with not releasing the club fully. The first lessons I had the Pro immediately said, "blimey, another cricketer!!" Thankfully, I was a predominately a keeper who batted a bit, rather than purely a batsman, so my technique wasnt that conventional. But stuff I'd been coached in since the age of 5 was suddenly counter productive in another sport...

I’ve been reading about the release a lot as I’m prone to playing the cover drive into the river or trees

Loads of the golf forums have predominately American posters and if you talk about actively releasing the club they gan wild

Then I thought they’ve not had years of playing cricket

sussexhacker

Visit site
We have a number of ex cricketers in our club. One is a former club champion off 2 handicap. A few were really good batsmen & have truly hideous swings & big handicaps. Doesn't seem to be any correlation between competence at cricket and golf

I doubt there is much at all

I play golf with someone from my cricket club who is much worse at cricket than me but much better at golf than me

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a number of ex cricketers in our club. One is a former club champion off 2 handicap. A few were really good batsmen & have truly hideous swings & big handicaps. Doesn't seem to be any correlation between competence at cricket & golf.

I started golfing aged about 11, right handed. I do everything else, including batting, left handed, so I never confused the two swings. I tried golf both ways. I think I went right handed because it was easier to get second hand right handed clubs in those days. My first ones had hickory shafts!

I concur with the bold - i played cricket to a high standard and am currently languishing at an 18 handicap and can not shift for love nor money. To be fair I probably need to practice more by hey ho!!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I used to play a lot of squash when I also played golf and I found it good for whipping through the ball.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I concur with the bold - i played cricket to a high standard and am currently languishing at an 18 handicap and can not shift for love nor money. To be fair I probably need to practice more by hey ho!!

The lads I’ve played with who play first team cricket normally have bags of power but can block it miles right

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve been reading about the release a lot as I’m prone to playing the cover drive into the river or trees

Loads of the golf forums have predominately American posters and if you talk about actively releasing the club they gan wild

Then I thought they’ve not had years of playing cricket
Do baseball players have any wrist in the swing?

sussexhacker

Visit site
The other issue I have is I personally know the man who makes the best cricket bats in the world so get a decent discount on some pro bats

No such luck with golf equipment and it’s so expensive

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played tennis before golf for 10 years and was told that the feeling in the swings were the same - no they weren't !!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
played Cricket to a decent standard and only took up golf at the end of my Cricket days, had a cover drive swing for a long time, i shudder to think what my cricket stroke would look like now:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: