Courses around Woking

mpalamarka

Visit site
HiNew to the forum and looking for advice on courses around Woking area. Am a member at a club at the moment but interested in moving to one of the heathland courses in the area as have only heard good things about the quality of the courses.Do people have any advice on best in terms of balance of course and friendliness of club membership - have heard membership at some clubs can be a bit snooty and wary of taking the plunge of any joining fee only to find out it is unfriendly.Any advice welcome!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hoebridge - pay and play - rammed to the gills with no discernible benefit for actual playing members. 18 hole, 9 hole and par-3 courses.
Twisted Stone (formerly Traditions) - now out of the Crown Group - gets very wet in places - mixture of open and tight holes - fair test of golf.
Pyrford - 17 of the 18 holes have water - really tough test of golf - part of Crown Group so you get all the other courses thrown in.
West Byfleet - private tree-lined course - great place but still has an entry fee and not that welcoming to newcomers.
Woking, Worplesdon and West Hill - the 3Ws - all great courses but private, expensive and unlikely to accept new members at the moment.
Silvermere - public 18 hole course - again rammed full at all times with green fees irrespective of ability.

Those are the ones in the near vicinity.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Where are you leaving and why?

I moved away from the area a long time ago, but if I moved back, I'd get myself into one of the decent places pronto - the quality of the W courses is enough to put up with any silliness... and I bet most if the reported silliness is probably not correct. Had a similar issue at my current club, was told it was unwelcoming, but that couldn't have been further from the truth!

Ring up the Secretaries for a chat... that usually tells you plenty!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My tupence worth:

Twisted Stone - avoid. The old issue was its very wet and only has 12 holes for 4 months of the year as the lower part of the course is a big. Recently they seem to have stopped all investment and it’s not in the greatest state. Pity as I always quite enjoyed a thrash round in the summer

Pyrford- not a fav of mine to be honest. Some good holes but some holes that are more akin to crazy golf with watch cris-crossing the fairways all over the shot.

Silvermere - I must admit I’ve never had too many issues with the long rounds there although I’ve always ensured an early tee spot. The first 7 holes and the final 2 are brilliant (IMO), the holes the other side of the road are a little meh.

Another one to look at is Burhill. You get two courses and brilliant practice facilities although you’ll need fairly need pockets.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
West Hill is a lovely course and they are really friendly there. Does depend on your budget though. Golf Monthly use the club for a lot of their filming, and the forum is playing there on 1st October.

Happy to put you in touch with Jane at the club who will give you details of membership costs etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hoebridge - pay and play - rammed to the gills with no discernible benefit for actual playing members. 18 hole, 9 hole and par-3 courses.
Twisted Stone (formerly Traditions) - now out of the Crown Group - gets very wet in places - mixture of open and tight holes - fair test of golf.
Pyrford - 17 of the 18 holes have water - really tough test of golf - part of Crown Group so you get all the other courses thrown in.
West Byfleet - private tree-lined course - great place but still has an entry fee and not that welcoming to newcomers.
Woking, Worplesdon and West Hill - the 3Ws - all great courses but private, expensive and unlikely to accept new members at the moment.
Silvermere - public 18 hole course - again rammed full at all times with green fees irrespective of ability.

Those are the ones in the near vicinity.

You could add Sutton Green which is close to Woking. Decent enough club with a friendly members section although it does allow visitors at weekends so not sure how that plays out in terms of members booking tee times. Another that does get wet in the winter but a course I enjoy playing.

mpalamarka

Visit site
Thanks for replies and suggestions. I am currently at Mid-Surrey in Richmond so, unfortunately, used to high annual fees - great, friendly membership there but course is mixed bag. Will call around a couple of the courses mentioned and see what secretaries say - my main concern is splashing out on a joining fee and then finding that the membership is not a friendly as appears as plan to spend a lot of time wherever I move to!

mpalamarka

Visit site
West Hill is a lovely course and they are really friendly there. Does depend on your budget though. Golf Monthly use the club for a lot of their filming, and the forum is playing there on 1st October.

Happy to put you in touch with Jane at the club who will give you details of membership costs etc.

Hi - would be great if you could you send me the details for Jane so I can start to look into West Hill. The 3 W's are very tempting - any idea of what the differences between them really are in terms of clubs?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks for replies and suggestions. I am currently at Mid-Surrey in Richmond so, unfortunately, used to high annual fees - great, friendly membership there but course is mixed bag. Will call around a couple of the courses mentioned and see what secretaries say - my main concern is splashing out on a joining fee and then finding that the membership is not a friendly as appears as plan to spend a lot of time wherever I move to!

Not sure how open to travel you are but we're a really friendly and inclusive club at Royal Ascot (and have a few from your neck of the woods already) so always welcome to come and have a game and see what you think

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi - would be great if you could you send me the details for Jane so I can start to look into West Hill. The 3 W's are very tempting - any idea of what the differences between them really are in terms of clubs?

My contact is Jane Mulligan, secretary@westhill-golfclub.co.uk You can mention my name, Richard Hart, and also Golf Monthly Forum. She is the assistant secretary and knows everything that is going on at the club. We have had two big Help For heroes charity days at West Hill, and also quite a few other forum meets. Club is always very welcoming, and members I have met seem decent. Club have spent a lot on the course in the last few years, and have a new practice ground. Pro has been there years which is probably a good sign ?

Played Worplesdon recently as well, but personally didn't get the same vibe, and the course was not in such good condition.

Woking is predominatly a two ball course, so might be harder to get to play with members ?

If you were to join one of the three W's I would definitely look at West Hill first.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
The '3 Ws' are a notch above, but the next best course in the Woking area would be West Byfleet (in my biased opinion!).

I've been there a year now, very active and social membership, easy to get games/join roll ups and a great bunch of people. I've probably only played with 1 member who I wouldnt play with again and thats just because I found him annoying more than anything else!

Already a very good, all year track that drains well and as we've managed to keep the joining fee going there is some serious investment going on to make the course even better each year. This winter theyve turned the nice, gentle par 5 finishing hole into a card wrecker! Also in the process of returning as much heather to the course as possible and will be in play on half a dozen or so holes soon.

If you want any more info just give me a shout.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Merristwood which is halfway between Woking and Guildford. Its a wonderful layout but like others in the area suffers in the winter, great in the summer though. Saying that, there haven't been temp greens there for a few years and they've invested in buggy tracks to help with high traffic areas. 250+ yard driving range, short game practice green with bunkers and members get free range balls.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Merrist Wood is an utter mudbath. Crown Golf are just letting it to go to ruin. Sorry but I wouldn't go near that place for a freebie.

Sashisg

Visit site
I'm a member at Merrist Wood and have been for the last 3 years. the staff are great and the course is a real good challenge for any golfer. Its also part of the Crown group which some will argue is a disadvantage but I get to use the other crown courses (e.g. Pine Ridge, Sunbury, Pyrford, and the list goes on) in the area as part of my membership.

If you fancy a round let me know, you're more than welcome to come join us and I'm sure the staff will arrange a significant/free round ;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Has the OP considered some of the Guildford courses? I'm not familiar with them personally but heard that Bramley is OK.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Bramley is no West Hill... but decent enough and looking for members. Wrong side of town for a swift dash from Woking...

Guildford GC (Merrow) is as above! Decent enough.. on the downs so drains well... good greens too. Same could be said of Puttenham.

I'd join Guildford over Bramley/Puttenham.....but would join a W over those 3 (which are all decent clubs)

Further south you start to bring in West Surrey, Hindhead, Farnham and Hankley..................... oh crikey.... I miss Surrey! :D

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Around Guildford, I like Clandon Regis too. Not been there for a while now, as just getting back into golf, but was friendly when I was there, and I liked the course, although it's not as mature as many others.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played West Byfleet today and to be honest it wasn't in the best of nick. The greens had been hollow tined very late in the year and they haven't recovered, very bobbly. The members aren't too happy it seems.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be fair to the OP based where he is, he's spoilt for choice. West Hill would be my immediate choice given the opportunity but there are other courses at varying budgets to act as back up. It's important to do homework though and be sure on things like quality of the course in the winter, atmosphere in the clubhouse, accessibility to tee times and competitions