Courses around Leeds

wuuki456

Club Champion
Visit site
Trying to sort our yearly golf trip out for next year, we normally go Early September. Next year we are looking at Leeds. Can anyone recommend courses in and around Leeds, we would be willing to travel within reason.
Budget wise wouldn't want to break the bank but we aren't tight either. We normally play 4 rounds. Courses under £50 would be ideal. We'll be in a group of around 16. Think we will get a hotel on the outskirts and travel into Leeds on the night in taxis so we'd have a head start on traffic on the way to golf. Any one got any recommendations?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
See if you can get any deals for 16 of you, but would start at the great courses in north Leeds, such as Alwoodley, Moortown, Sandmoor(I havent played it) and Moor Allerton, all within a few miles of each other.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Moore Allerton has 27 holes. Bonus golf. slickest greens I played all summer. above the hole and you are struggling.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not sure re budget but thereare some great courses around north Leeds.

Moor Allerton, Sandmoor, Headingly and Roundhay - are all good
Moortown and Alwoodly are great but likely to be expensive
Panel and the other Harrogate courses are not far and pretty good also.

Enjoy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try Scarcroft which is next door to Alwoodly thats a nice course, Moortown is a must, Sandmoor and obviously Alwoodly. But if price is an issue then maybe not Alwoodly or Moortown.

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another for Scarcroft best value around Leeds, Dont think Garforth has been mentioned but thats Great too.. Having done the rounds I think Moortown Alwoodley and Moor Allerton will be to expensive... If you can manage a little drive Ilkley is a fun course to play, fabulous water holes around the river Wharf great greens too...

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only repeating what other's have suggested. You could always base yourself in Harrogate and you have Moor Allerton, Wike Ridge, Pannal, Knaresborough, Harrogate, Rudding Park, Scarcroft are all within maybe 15 miles drive and probably within budget. Alwoodley and Moortown maybe just pushing it unless you can get a deal for 16. Night out in Harrogate is pretty decent too. You could get the train into Leeds and taxi back to Harrogate would be about £30-40ish at a guess.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Trying to sort our yearly golf trip out for next year, we normally go Early September. Next year we are looking at Leeds. Can anyone recommend courses in and around Leeds, we would be willing to travel within reason.
Budget wise wouldn't want to break the bank but we aren't tight either. We normally play 4 rounds. Courses under £50 would be ideal. We'll be in a group of around 16. Think we will get a hotel on the outskirts and travel into Leeds on the night in taxis so we'd have a head start on traffic on the way to golf. Any one got any recommendations?

we did this exact trip in early September last year - don't look at any other courses until you have booked Moortown, Alwoodley and Ganton.

Ganton is about an hours drive, but is worth EVERY minute of the journey. If you book in advance like i did you can make use of their twilight deals and only pay about £50 a round. not sure about 16 players though and whether they would allow that.

We stayed in the travelodge right in the centre of town for 3 nights and the rooms were less than £30 a night. Getting out of the town wasnt tough at all and Moortown/Alwoodley were about 10mins drive.

wuuki456

Club Champion
Visit site
Nice one thanks for all the replies, We have already done the Harrogate courses in the last. We were recommended ilkley I think and a course in Bradford I can't remember the name of.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice one thanks for all the replies, We have already done the Harrogate courses in the last. We were recommended ilkley I think and a course in Bradford I can't remember the name of.

Both Ilkley and Otley are really nice course's. In Bradford you have some good quality course's (Hollins Hall, Baildon (moorland course), Bradford GC).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
First thing is, great place to play and you will struggle to find a bad course. All of those mentioned are top choices. I have done the Harrogate courses and the Leeds ones and I would go back to both like a shot. Brilliant locations to stay and play golf.

Personally, I would still stay in Harrogate even if you choose to travel to those courses in Leeds as it is such a good place to stay. Of the Leeds courses I have played Moor Allerton, Sand Moor, Hollins Hall and Pannal, although that is probably nearer Harrogate. All are belters. The Gantons, Alwoodleys etc I have not played but talking to those who have their eyes light up.

I used to book through a local bloke, Peter at White Rose Golf. He has good links and may be worth talking to to put a package together. It is not always cheaper to do it yourself and he will not pressure you in any way. He plays at Ilkley, he is a proper golf bloke. http://www.whiterosegolfbreaks.co.uk/

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Oulton Hall (just east of Leeds) have great Sunday Driver packages (dinner, b&b and 36 holes for about £100pp) which could maybe be extended to more nights. They only have three loops of nine though so might be of limited appeal if one of your rounds involves repeating nine holes. The hotel was very nice though - albeit with typical Q Hotel bar prices!