Course suggestions Hawkhurst / Kent

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Staying in Hawkhurst in a couple of weeks and looking for suggestions....
  • High HC (28'ish) friendly
  • 18 holes
  • Buggy (the Mrs will drive, she doesn't play)
  • Reasonable green fees (up to £50 mid-week)
  • Up to 30 mins drive from Hawkhurst
Wield of Kent looks reasonable - anyone played there?

Cheers

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Weald of Kent is ok, Couple of lakes around 1/9 and 9/18 but pretty open. Just need to be wary of the ditches that run across some fairway's.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Staying in Hawkhurst in a couple of weeks and looking for suggestions....
  • High HC (28'ish) friendly
  • 18 holes
  • Buggy (the Mrs will drive, she doesn't play)
  • Reasonable green fees (up to £50 mid-week)
  • Up to 30 mins drive from Hawkhurst
Wield of Kent looks reasonable - anyone played there?

Cheers
Weald of Kent is nice. Very user friendly.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you want to try something a bit different, then Leeds castle GC is about 1/2 hour away.
Only 9 holes, not sure about buggies but how often do you get to play golf around a castle ?

gopher99

Visit site
You have Dale Hill about 10 mins away from you, also Lamberhurst 15 mins away. i would say play both these courses before Weald of Kent.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I remember playing Hawkhurst years ago 9 hole but pleasant course bit hilly with good views, also got free pint after round and a delicious pie.

I have played Dale Hill a few times and enjoyed playing there, also would agree with spongebob Leeds Castle is a nice place to play.

Hacky

Visit site
The greens at Dale Hill have been in great condition this year, fairways are dry as with everywhere else, but a deluge of rain last Wednesday have made things green up somewhat. I have just joined this year after going through their ’get into golf’ program and have found everyone to be riendly and welcoming. You also have a choice of courses, the old course, which many locals enjoy now that the trees have matured, or the Woosnam which is a bit longer and more of a challenge. I’d happily guest you if you want a playing partner.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all your feedback - very much appreciated.
I think that it's a toss up between Wield (looks nice and forgiving) and Dale Hill (old course).
Thanks @Hacky for the kind offer, I'd be looking to play mid-week lunchtime / early afternoon if that works for you. I'd better also check with Mrs K as it's going be our first week away without the kids after 20+ years!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I remember playing Hawkhurst years ago 9 hole but pleasant course bit hilly with good views, also got free pint after round and a delicious pie.

I have played Dale Hill a few times and enjoyed playing there, also would agree with spongebob Leeds Castle is a nice place to play.

Leeds Castle has 1 great hole. I think it’s the 5th where you play towards the castle. The rest is a bit meh

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes
Leeds Castle has 1 great hole. I think it’s the 5th where you play towards the castle. The rest is a bit meh

Yes I agree, the course is ok to play and I would play other courses in the area but as a one off it’s still a nice place to play.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some time since I visited Dale Hill but iIrc, the Old course is very much "up and down" on the front 9 and doesn't become interesting until the back 9, and the Woosnam course is a bit of a long slog. Having said that, I've not played it in very dry conditions so it might play a bit easier.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I'd be going to Dale Hill, and if you can, playing the Woosie. I played it last week and it was in fantastic condition given the recent weather. Greens and tees some of the best I've seen this summer. I think it's only £55 midweek, so only a little over budget and they do a twilight of £35 after 2:30 (I think).

Lamberhurst is only up the road, as mentioned. But I'm pretty sure it's over budget by some distance.