Course Record ?

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When does a course record fail to apply due to changes in the golf course set up ?

Golf courses are always tinkering with set ups, bunkers coming and going etc.

In this particular example the current course record (cards in club house etc) is a gross 64, however in 2015 a green was moved and that hole was lengthened by circa 40 yards.

I ask because someone I know shot a gross 66 on this new set up recently which though good does not match the 64 despite the changes in the course in my opinion - but is it a new course record and should it be recognised ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
At Nairn its a joint 64 gross (Blue Tee par 72 SSS 74) both in comps.

At a few i've seen on walls at local clubs they are all in comps, was your mates?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
At Nairn its a joint 64 gross (Blue Tee par 72 SSS 74) both in comps.

At a few i've seen on walls at local clubs they are all in comps, was your mates?

His mates, was on a different course set up so is asking if it should be recognised as the current course record.

In response to the OP, I would argue yes, but don't know the official line.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Sounds like it should be recognised as a new course record. If they've moved a green/tee its a different course.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think in your example, the course record would remain the same as it was prior to the changes.

Not sure if the green change would have amended the SSS ? I assume the par remained the same.

Also, length doesn't necessarily equate to difficulty and a course can change in length by a few hundred yards depending on how the groundstaff may set up tees and pins on any given day.
I also guess the new green is slightly bigger than the old one? Generally a designer will make a green larger for longer holes.

As an example of older course records, Augusta still documenting their course record as 63 (Nick Price in 1986 and Greg Norman in 1996). The course is over 500 yards longer since the 1986 and 1996 tournaments.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our board shows new course records following major course changes (the change is shown on the board) and they have to have been played in an official club comp.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When does a course record fail to apply due to changes in the golf course set up ?

Golf courses are always tinkering with set ups, bunkers coming and going etc.

In this particular example the current course record (cards in club house etc) is a gross 64, however in 2015 a green was moved and that hole was lengthened by circa 40 yards.

I ask because someone I know shot a gross 66 on this new set up recently which though good does not match the 64 despite the changes in the course in my opinion - but is it a new course record and should it be recognised ?

Did the change alter the SSS or the par for the hole?

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Par and SSS did not change but reopened on new set up just before the pro am and the pro made a big thing about a new course record about to be set and congratulated the winner with that "new record"

Was just asking out of interest as I could find nothing that defines this - so is probably down to the committee.

Have played general play with this player when he shot 7 under par, so may just be a matter of time before he does it in a comp.