Course recommendations along m40

golfsaint

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi 4 of us are going to the belfry in august for two nights , but 1st round is booked about half 3 in the afternoon, so we plan to have a game in the morning (9am ish) Friday on the way, can anybody recommend a course about half/one hr away . for less than £50 each. We are travelling along M40 from Southampton.

looked at rye hill , hellidon lakes so far

thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 15344

Studley Wood , Tadmartin Heath , Magnolia Park - all around an hour from the Beflry

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Studley Wood , Tadmartin Heath , Magnolia Park - all around an hour from the Beflry

pretty much spot on for me, depending on what sort of course you want, Tadmarton is a more traditional shorter heathland course (and does great home made food), Studley Wood im biased as its my old home but I love the course, younger but a decent challenge with a wide variety of holes. Magnolia is much improved and also a decent enough course in its own right

Of the other 2, Rye Hills OK nothing special and personally not a fan of Helidon Lakes at all

Edit, if looking to spend a little more then the Oxfordshire would be an option too

Last edited:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
You'll be going up the a34 I assume. Studley is a great shout, if not Frilford is literally 5mins off the a34!

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
North Oxford, 5 minutes of the A34, then an hour and 20 away from the Belfry, never disappointed and they accept county cards if you book in advance

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
how the other half live, the OP does ask for a green fees of around £50,

just checked and Tadmarton Heath are offering a fourball for £80 on the county card

North Oxford is in my budget, and as I said previously, I've never been disappointed on my visits

D

Deleted Member 1156

There are early morning deals on teetimes for the Oxfordshire from £25pp

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
how the other half live, the OP does ask for a green fees of around £50,

just checked and Tadmarton Heath are offering a fourball for £80 on the county card

North Oxford is in my budget, and as I said previously, I've never been disappointed on my visits

can get on studley, magnolia and tadmarton for 20-25 pounds on tee off times quite often so not about budget if you want to shop around for the best deal at the better courses

golfsaint

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Cheers for all your ideas , looked at Studley but could only book tee times 4 days before , liked fritford but too expensive.
so decided we are going to get up even earlier and go to play forest of arden championship course (played there about 5yr ago) and only 20 mins form the belfry.
thanks again