Course Planners / Yardage Books: Dead or Alive?

thehole18yards

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've recently undertaken a mini project to keep my software skills going. I've created a simple course planner for my home club.

I'm fairly good with layouts and software etc. and I've had it professionally printed.

Do you think these still have a place in our modern game? I'd like to start doing them for other players and courses eventually.

Take a look and let's discuss!

Cheers,

Freddie

IMG_7500 LQ.jpgIMG_7501 LQ.jpgIMG_7503 LQ.jpgIMG_7504 LQ.jpg

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think they are dead for using on the course,you will get collector’s who will try and buy one at all the courses they play.
Usually priced at a £5 note,I would say drop to £3 you will probably sell more.
I presume production cost are higher than ever so maybe not cost effective.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hi Freddie.
My opinion is that yardage books are mostly dead for amateurs
I haven't used one in over 10 years
Most of us have a GPS of some description or another and their ability to give you yardage at almost any course in a fraction of the amount of time it takes to pinpoint your position on the yardage book and pace to a particular mark.
Many GPS units also have a picture of the hole layout so do the same job.
I know some people collect yardage books as souvenirs and, certainly from my perspective, that's as far as it goes.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are a member with a laser then why not, for visitors they are just collectors items.

As most now have a GPS they are certainly on they way out, it’s only those who need them AND can’t afford a GPS device or use a phone on the course who want them. That’s a very small subset of members.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've recently undertaken a mini project to keep my software skills going. I've created a simple course planner for my home club.

I'm fairly good with layouts and software etc. and I've had it professionally printed.

Do you think these still have a place in our modern game? I'd like to start doing them for other players and courses eventually.

Take a look and let's discuss!

Cheers,

Freddie

View attachment 35525View attachment 35526View attachment 35527View attachment 35528
Maybe do Greens Books and you might be in business

D

Deleted member 1147

I buy them for new courses.
They’re useful for hazards etc, so long as they’re kept up to date.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I collect them and buy one merely as a souvenir of the course but I’m finding that, increasingly, courses no longer do them. I will refer to it for the general layout of each hole when playing the course for the first time, although I still use my GPS watch for distances.

Reactions: AAC

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love a yardage book and will always pick one up when I play a new course. I don’t have a GPS handset just a watch that does front middle back.

There’s usually good information on planners (I like when yardages are to the side of the fairway along the line you should be playing), or tips from the pro on how to play a hole. Yeah it’s a souvenir but I’ll use it that round, and add little notes to it if I think I’ll be back for a club game.
And ok I’m not normal in that regard but shading in the “no go” area at the back of a green or whatever is what I like doing, I like that there’s a load of blank space and it’s white. Nice one.

One thing I’d say is the font for yardages is a bit small, think about the old decrepit guys like the ones on this forum squinting to see the numbers. Not a pretty sight. At the best of times.

But if I were visiting your club, I’d buy this, and I’d be very happy with it too. Your planner looks smart, modern. I think that reflects well on the club. Nice work ??

thehole18yards

Visit site
I think they are dead for using on the course,you will get collector’s who will try and buy one at all the courses they play.
Usually priced at a £5 note,I would say drop to £3 you will probably sell more.
I presume production cost are higher than ever so maybe not cost effective.

Yes, unfortunately the production costs are higher than that.

Thanks for your reply.

evemccc

Visit site
If I play a bucket-list course (played only two so far) then I'll buy a Yardage Book for souvenir and to help remember the holes and my round there. Otherwise I use the Hole 19 app

thehole18yards

Visit site
Hi Freddie.
My opinion is that yardage books are mostly dead for amateurs
I haven't used one in over 10 years
Most of us have a GPS of some description or another and their ability to give you yardage at almost any course in a fraction of the amount of time it takes to pinpoint your position on the yardage book and pace to a particular mark.
Many GPS units also have a picture of the hole layout so do the same job.
I know some people collect yardage books as souvenirs and, certainly from my perspective, that's as far as it goes.

That was my fear, its a shame really. There's something to be said about keeping your electronics in your bag while you're on the course, especially phones with GPS apps.

Thanks for your reply.

thehole18yards

Visit site
I love a yardage book and will always pick one up when I play a new course. I don’t have a GPS handset just a watch that does front middle back.

There’s usually good information on planners (I like when yardages are to the side of the fairway along the line you should be playing), or tips from the pro on how to play a hole. Yeah it’s a souvenir but I’ll use it that round, and add little notes to it if I think I’ll be back for a club game.
And ok I’m not normal in that regard but shading in the “no go” area at the back of a green or whatever is what I like doing, I like that there’s a load of blank space and it’s white. Nice one.

One thing I’d say is the font for yardages is a bit small, think about the old decrepit guys like the ones on this forum squinting to see the numbers. Not a pretty sight. At the best of times.

But if I were visiting your club, I’d buy this, and I’d be very happy with it too. Your planner looks smart, modern. I think that reflects well on the club. Nice work ??

Hey, thanks for taking the time to give some feedback. When I received the printed version I did think the numbers were a tad small, so I agree with you there.

What do you think you would pay for one?

D

Deleted member 15344

I’ll look to buy one at any course Im playing , I have 3 boxes of them and use them at any course I’m playing , still find them useful

thehole18yards

Visit site
I always buy one for a new course as a memento / keepsake rather than to use. Bit of a magpie for this sort of thing! :)

How many courses still sell them though? I'd like to make more of them as they're fun to do. So if you ever need one, let me know!

thehole18yards

Visit site
I’ll look to buy one at any course Im playing , I have 3 boxes of them and use them at any course I’m playing , still find them useful

Are they hard to find at courses nowadays though? I find them useful for explaining the holes to friends that I am playing with. Where does this hole go? Here, take a look at this...

D

Deleted member 15344

Are they hard to find at courses nowadays though? I find them useful for explaining the holes to friends that I am playing with. Where does this hole go? Here, take a look at this...

I think pretty much every course will have one , it’s only been the odd course that have run out etc

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many courses still sell them though? I'd like to make more of them as they're fun to do. So if you ever need one, let me know!

Most places that i've played in recent times had them. Last year I played about 18-20 courses and there was probably only 2 or 3 from what I can remember that didn't sell them.