Planning Application submitted for new Links course in Irvine

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just been looking over the recently submitted Planning Applications and came across this one.

I have attached a couple of links to get some more detail on it. On the planning file there is a course layout and is saved as Masterplan with aerial photo.

http://www.eplanning.north-ayrshire...e.do?category=application&caseNo=13/00015/PPM - is the link to the planning application.

http://www.irvinebay.co.uk/our-changing-bay/6_the_ayrshire_golf_development_irvine - is the link to Irvine Bay's info page on the development.

Interesting to note that the designer works with the same firm as created the dunes at Machrihanish.
The project is a collaboration with Ayrshire Golf Ltd and Irvine Bay. I have never heard of Ayrshire Golf Ltd, although some others may have.

The new course is part of a larger development involving hotel, apartments etc. and will start at the northern end of Western Gailes and follow the coast up to the Magnum leisure centre. In today's climate do you think this will ever go ahead and does Ayrshire or Scotland need another new course ? Having watched the fortunes of Rowallan Castle fairly nearby will this be a similar story ?

Let's discuss.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fail to see how any business can think its a good idea at the moment to continue building courses in Britain. There are so many existing superb courses struggling for membership and green fees that further new ones are going to find it hard to keep up with the building and running costs for a few years.

The saving grace perhaps of this one is that there is going to be a hotel complex so will likely get people heading for weekend breaks that want golf inluded but still how many can afford a weekend jaunt nowadays. But like all things build it and they shall come, but how many come is the question.

thegogg

Head Pro
www.vlgc.co.uk
I don't know the area well but I did use to take customers up there on factory visits for a past employer so does any of this development cover the area where the old Hyster fork truck factory use to be?

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
the clue is in 'Irvine Bay ' there will be incentives etc to build it,
if you google 'The Ayrshire golf course' its already on maps!!!!!

i see why the council are keen to move the magnum;)

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know the area well but I did use to take customers up there on factory visits for a past employer so does any of this development cover the area where the old Hyster fork truck factory use to be?
Yes, I am sure it does, it appears the main access road will come in over the former Hyster site.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the clue is in 'Irvine Bay ' there will be incentives etc to build it,
if you google 'The Ayrshire golf course' its already on maps!!!!!

i see why the council are keen to move the magnum;)

Didn't want to mention Irvine Bay, but what have they actually done ?????

T

thecraw

Not sure how true it is but the rumour is that the council made this land available so that they could sell the land that is currently Ravenspark GC for housing. I'm sure Alan will know more about whether that is viable or gobbledygook!!

Does that mean Irvine will get a 3rd true links?

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure how true it is but the rumour is that the council made this land available so that they could sell the land that is currently Ravenspark GC for housing. I'm sure Alan will know more about whether that is viable or gobbledygook!!

i think that there are too many season ticket holders at ravenspark for it to shut. if it came to it the members would probably try and get funding to keep it going. also the three 'cooncil' course are run and owned by North Ayrshire Leisure, which is meant to be a seperate from the cooncil

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The planning application is interesting because the location plan shows the land ownership as being with North Ayrshire Council for most of the site and the remaining land in ownership of Irvine Bay.

Regarding housing, that end of Irvine has many former mineworkings in the area and the new houses being built at the old Ravenspark hospital site appear to be being piled which would confirm poor ground conditions. this would make the site development expensive.