Course Planners / Yardage Books: Dead or Alive?

D

Deleted Member 1156

There's some hardcore people on here. Buying course planners........

I don't think I've ever bought one, nor been with someone who has bought one. I've been given them at a few posher courses but I don't know that I've ever really looked at them.
Treat yourself, they're only a fiver ?

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Buy one if you play the Addington (if they do them).

Ha! I had one several years ago until a society day and the guy with whom I was partnered asked to have a look at it on the second hole. As I knew the course fairly well and didn't really need it, I wasn't too concerned that he didn't return it during the round. Got it back at the end - in 3 sections after pages had been pulled through the staples. Grrrr

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's some hardcore people on here. Buying course planners........

I don't think I've ever bought one, nor been with someone who has bought one. I've been given them at a few posher courses but I don't know that I've ever really looked at them.

There was a time when I bought one at every course I played but they only cost £1 back then.

Reactions: AAC

Boomy

Visit site
I always buy a yardage/strokesaver book when visiting a new club - like others have said 1. It’s handy for hazards and especially on links courses or those with blind shots. 2. I like them as a memento.
I do use a GPS watch for yardages buts it’s just front, middle and back of the green so it is good to have the book to refer too. It just feels right having a book in the back pocket, maybe I’m just old fashioned at heart!
It could be a tough market to break into with a few long established producers already, perhaps you could target smaller clubs who don’t want the big outlay/investment into something like a strokesaver. I think I usually pay between £5-£8 for them.
I’d hate to see them disappear entirely, it’s part of the day out at a new course experience for me. In the same way I’d hate to see all magazines and books go online as holding a kindle or iPad to read a book or magazine just isn’t the same!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Essential to have a yardage book holder too... saves them being ripped apart or going soggy!

Hahahahhaaha. I really like that. The misses got me something similar for my scorecard but went with more muted colours.

Man we are some bunch of saddos ?

Boomy

Visit site
Hahahahhaaha. I really like that. The misses got me something similar for my scorecard but went with more muted colours.

Man we are some bunch of saddos ?

You can’t beat a bit of red leather ? Got to match the detail on my shoes ? #matchymatchy

Boomy

Visit site
Nice.
Although do you use a planner for your home course? I like to get a planner when visiting new courses, it's a souvenir and comes in handy, but I know my home course well enough.

Cheers. I only started playing again last September after a long break away from the game, so the club/course is still new to me - so yes, I do still use the book at my home club , just while I learn where everything is and try to avoid the bunkers. I’ve also joined a second club so will be using a book there as well... the yardage book holder will be getting plenty of use ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair enough, but did they look like this?

Check out this beauty from Woodall Spa

Great card in many respects what it lacks is Pros advice on how to play the hole.

I never bought one that did not do the job.

This is our planner (it was produced many years ago and only cost £2.50)

DSCN3922.JPG

I am also of any age to remember when most course gave them away with or were part of the scorecard.
I also have a pile of scorecards from those days
This was ours from the early 90s

DSCN3921.JPG

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great card in many respects what it lacks is Pros advice on how to play the hole.

I am also of any age to remember when most course gave them away with or were part of the scorecard.

Some pros tips are straight from the drawer of Captain Obvious. ? Then the odd time they say there’s dead ground ahead of the green that makes it feel closer than it is and you think thank you, that is useful.

I like the combo card. Can’t remember where it was but played in the states and they gave us one of these with the pin positions marked on the greens, really useful especially when you don’t know the course

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some pros tips are straight from the drawer of Captain Obvious. ? Then the odd time they say there’s dead ground ahead of the green that makes it feel closer than it is and you think thank you, that is useful.

I like the combo card. Can’t remember where it was but played in the states and they gave us one of these with the pin positions marked on the greens, really useful especially when you don’t know the course

Depending on who is organising we give out pin placement cards for our Opens.

sunshine

Visit site

View attachment 35565

View attachment 35563

Great card, thanks for sharing. Don't see hole guides on scorecards any more.

I see that 30 years ago slow play was still golf's worst enemy!

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've recently undertaken a mini project to keep my software skills going. I've created a simple course planner for my home club.

I'm fairly good with layouts and software etc. and I've had it professionally printed.

Do you think these still have a place in our modern game? I'd like to start doing them for other players and courses eventually.

Take a look and let's discuss!

Cheers,

Freddie

View attachment 35525View attachment 35526View attachment 35527View attachment 35528
Have gps, app etc and still very much like a good yardage book. What software did you use?