Course maintenance

eddie_1878

Visit site
My clubs newsletter has just mentioned course maintenance is to begin in September.

What does this generally mean? More GUR areas or as extreme as a closed course for certain days?

D

Deleted member 1147

Hollow tining the greens, applying sand, scarification etc

We did it a couple of weeks ago. They are now in cracking condition.

They’ve now started playing team events the weekend after the work so people’s handicap doesn’t get affected by dodgy greens.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It really depends on what they're going to do.
We have 2 distinct 9s and when they core the greens they close one 9 for as long as it takes and then swap over once that 9 is playable.
Lighter work may only see the odd temporary green for an hour or so.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My club does it in August, as I believe most clubs in Dorset now do.

It means the greens are out of play for 2-3 days whilst they are hollowed tined then top dressed with sand. Depending on the weather they recover back to normal in about 2 weeks.

We used to do them in October but some years they never recovered until the following spring.

D

Deleted member 18588

Ours was always done in October with the result that greens sometimes didn't recover until late Spring the following year.

Now done in August. Front nine closed Monday and Tuesday, back nine Wednesday and Thursday.

By actually closing nines tree work can also be done as no disturbance from golfers.

Bobthesock

Visit site
September is fair enough. I wouldn't join a course that does them in August as the season is short enough anyway.
Why can't the greenkeepers do them when it's a bad weather forecast for a week or so? Always seems to happen when it's nice weather.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
September is fair enough. I wouldn't join a course that does them in August as the season is short enough anyway.
Why can't the greenkeepers do them when it's a bad weather forecast for a week or so? Always seems to happen when it's nice weather.

Greens need to be dry to start in order fill the holes with sand. Not sure any kind of exact schedule can be formed pending a week of bad weather :)

D

Deleted member 15344

August is a popular time to do for a number of reasons

The greens will be generally dry so the coring is done well

Then the weather will be still very mild for the greens to recover quickly

We did the front 9 on Monday and back 9 on Tuesday and they will be recovered by this weekend

If they wait until September you may not get the mild weather.

And trying to organise around bad weather ? Not easy

Bobthesock

Visit site
August is a popular time to do for a number of reasons

The greens will be generally dry so the coring is done well

Then the weather will be still very mild for the greens to recover quickly

We did the front 9 on Monday and back 9 on Tuesday and they will be recovered by this weekend

If they wait until September you may not get the mild weather.

And trying to organise around bad weather ? Not easy
They won't be recovered by the weekend at all. Takes at least a month until they are back to 100%.
My club never does it, just regular minor maintenance with hardly any disruption.
Fantastic greens year round.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
They won't be recovered by the weekend at all. Takes at least a month until they are back to 100%.
My club never does it, just regular minor maintenance with hardly any disruption.
Which club is that Bob?
Need dry weather to brush, drag the sand in.

D

Deleted member 15344

When we have done our greens they take approx 10 days to recover - the current mild and wet periods will be helping them hugely , by Saturday they will be ironed and nice again

And I would be amazed if a course doesn’t do the coring - every course I know will do it , its key to keeping the greens at their peak. Interesting to know which course you are at that doesnt do it ?

D

Deleted member 1147

If a course doesn't tine, core or scarify the greens, whilst true, tend to be springy (like where I played at the weekend)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We did our main hollow corring a few weeks ago, which is way earlier than normal. The recovery has been fantastic, so now I suspect they will continue to do it earlier.

Bobthesock

Visit site
We did our main hollow corring a few weeks ago, which is way earlier than normal. The recovery has been fantastic, so now I suspect they will continue to do it earlier.
The greenkeepers must be a lot better than where I played last week. 2 and a half weeks after maintenance greens slow and bumpy. They have a joining fee and a waiting list as well. If I had payed anywhere near the 50 pound green fee I would be asking for my money back.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
. I wouldn't join a course that does them in August as the season is short enough anyway.

Do not think about moving to Dorset then I believe nearly every club in the county now does then during August or very latest early September.

Mind you there is no 'season' here, we golf all round including comps. One of the advantages of August renovation is that the greens are far better in winter for it.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is what I have been doing today.
Pro core on the greens at a local GC.
I must say the course was in tip top condition
This needs to be done to get the organic matter out of the sub soil.
The smell of methane is horrible.
Soil soaks up gasses and coring releases it again, not good for the climate but a must for the grass.
Courses in countryside settings need less than city ones.

I am shattered it’s a very tough job.