Course is Bone Dry - Temporarily Ban Smoking?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
With Saddleworth Moor in flames; my track bone dry; and with me still seeing discarded fags ends about the place - do I think that there should be a ban on smoking on the golf course? I think I do. It's never happened at my place that I'm aware of - but surely the risk of part of your course going up in flames is just not worth it. Could smokers survive 4hrs without a fag?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couldn’t agree more. Ban it full stop on the golf course at least be responsible and pick up your tab ends. I’m sure people wouldn’t appreciate me throwing litter down across the course.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't smoke but I just realised there are no boxes for fag ends on our course, perhaps one could be put at the 10th for those in need and banned elsewhere... I wouldn't want to ban it outright there are enough places people can't enjoy a drag now without including the wide open, but I agree given the fire risk it's a very valid concern.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have had them where I play.

One year at our course one guy nearly caused quite a big fire when he dropped his pipe. Luckily he was in a fourball and between them they managed to get it under control and put out.

I used to forever moan at my Dad for flicking his lit fag ends out of the car window.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Has a cigarette ever caused damage to a course in the UK?

Of course it has, there were massive heathland fires in 1976.
I managed a Heathland course just up the road from Hogan in 1976.
I banned smoking and received serious abuse from the members, a week later a chunk of our 5th fairway caught fire [could only have been from a butt end] and a massive heath fire came within a mile of the course.

D

Deleted member 15344

There are lots of things that can cause a dry fire - do you want to ban cans which can reflect the sun etc etc

I’m sure the people who smoke on golf courses will ensure that the fag is completey out

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Always winds me up seeing fag butts just lying on the fairways and sometimes even on the greens. You see it at courses all around the UK sadly.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am also sure that some people who smoke on golf courses discard their but ends without a second thought.
Are you still a member of Woburn as bone dry pine needles make excellent tinder.
Years of damage to a golf course balanced against a mild inconvenience.

It's a no brainer.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I’m in agreement with the SILH (take a screenshot)

Currently a very high risk of fire from many sources. Most folk I have played with who smoke don’t put out their fags before flicking them into the clag. I’m not saying some aren’t more circumspect but this is an accident waiting to happen.

I would have no complaints if there was a temporary ban while these conditions exist but wouldn’t be averse to a complete ban on smoking full stop

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
ATTENTION SMOKERS

During the recent hot spell the course has become very dry.
Please distinguish all cigarettes thoroughly.
Thank you

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
ATTENTION SMOKERS

During the recent hot spell the course has become very dry.
Please distinguish all cigarettes thoroughly.
Thank you

Yeah just set the sign beside the one which asks all golfers to repair their pitch marks and divots. They can ignore them both at the same time!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah just set the sign beside the one which asks all golfers to repair their pitch marks and divots. They can ignore them both at the same time!

Although if that's the player mentality they're hardly going to take notice of a smoking ban either are they

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Warning signs to start with would be a good idea. Perhaps small sand buckets on each tee to ensure that those who do smoke put them out properly.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m in agreement with the SILH (take a screenshot)

Currently a very high risk of fire from many sources. Most folk I have played with who smoke don’t put out their fags before flicking them into the clag. I’m not saying some aren’t more circumspect but this is an accident waiting to happen.

I would have no complaints if there was a temporary ban while these conditions exist but wouldn’t be averse to a complete ban on smoking full stop

LOL - just picked myself up off the floor :)

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Although if that's the player mentality they're hardly going to take notice of a smoking ban either are they

I think its slightly different though.

If it is a pure ban, it is pretty easy to tell if someone is smoking but with 'Reminding' people to put it out. You are not really going to be able to tell if they have or they haven't without watching them. But yes, get what you are saying. You can ban phones in cars as much as you like but some people will continue to do it until something happens