Course Condition Application

LongandWrong

Visit site
Hi all,

Final year student

Just wanting to get some feedback on an application that updates golf club members every morning on course conditions (members choose day of preference) through a notification.
Few points. Project is currently in its infant stage, target audience is currently parkland clubs, functionality at its peak during winter course conditions and selling strictly to the golf club.

Some brief Q's
  1. What continent are you from?
  2. Do you know of an application similar already in use? if yes, could you evaluate briefly?
  3. Would this application be welcomed?
  4. How much would you expect your club to pay?

Thanks for any feedback:thup: (should probably use google forms)

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Get an email from the club and the website is updated every morning as well.

My old club had an app and would send a push notification if the course was closed.

Or I would ring up and press 5 and an automated message was left. So really had 4 ways of telling if the course was closed without having to speak to anyone.

Cannot see this idea flying unfortunately

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately, my club has not embraced social media and do not update their website.
Had a tee time booked for today and supposed to be a Texas Scramble tomorrow, no emails, no Facebook page / group, no communication.
If I hadn't phoned them this morning, I would have been none the wiser.

But as others have said, I doubt that clubs would be willing to pay for such a service as they either have a regularly updated website or use Facebook.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately, my club has not embraced social media and do not update their website.
Had a tee time booked for today and supposed to be a Texas Scramble tomorrow, no emails, no Facebook page / group, no communication.
If I hadn't phoned them this morning, I would have been none the wiser.

But as others have said, I doubt that clubs would be willing to pay for such a service as they either have a regularly updated website or use Facebook.

surely you only had to look out the window this morning?

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The point that I was making is that our club should have better communication in place.
Doubted that it would be open today, but not 100% about tomorrow as it's our first decent comp of the year.
As per one of your posts earlier today, AVGC was open today.

We were supposed to have a comp in December, but that got postponed due to weather - again no active communication from the club and the rearranged date was not communicated other than the club house notice board. Not that I could have played due to recovery from spinal surgery.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The point that I was making is that our club should have better communication in place.
Doubted that it would be open today, but not 100% about tomorrow as it's our first decent comp of the year.
As per one of your posts earlier today, AVGC was open today.

We were supposed to have a comp in December, but that got postponed due to weather - again no active communication from the club and the rearranged date was not communicated other than the club house notice board. Not that I could have played due to recovery from spinal surgery.

Sorry, post was flippant

Im amazed anywhere round here was open today. AVGC may well have been open, doesnt make it correct, Im told it was utterly horrendous. Sadly theyre opening to appease the serial moaners who are unhappy its been closed so much, the same people will be moaning how bad the condition is in 6 weeks time!!!!

Their communication has improved of late, but only through an imformal facebook group really which is driven by the regular players

You cant seriously want to play a board comp tomorrow? Course cant be close to playable condition for that

Im sort of lucky having left in November, spoke to a member tonight, he hasnt played a single round since I left and isnt sure when he'll next play!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We get daily early morning updates on the clubs website, by email and by twitter. The golf club uses Intelligent Golf and they have an app so you can access club info easily.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
no need the club tweets the course condition every day, only time its relevant for us is winter when we may be on temps due to frost

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Club updates website every day. Or I ring up Big Tone in the pro shop if I have a specific question. Club would never pay for an app.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Green keeper updates the website by 7.00 (usually much earlier) every day. Simply click on the site and it's there on the front page and if there are any updates pending inspections these are added as soon as they are available. Perfectly functional and no need for anything like an app to keep me updated. If in doubt I'll call the pro shop

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My place would post on unusual course conditions and open/closed on facebook - plus also when you phone the course you get an option to listen to a message our course manager (aka Head Greenkeeper) records every day.

If I was going elsewhere I'd just telephone the club if I felt there were any possible open/closed risks. Unless - that is - when I book a round away from home I leave my mobile number and get sent an SMS by the club if there are any issues.

Can't really see the USP for an app that gives me what I can otherwise easily find out - then again - I don't live my life around my phone and apps - the latter playing a very, very small part in my life.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Given all the free alternatives available the ‘Course Condition’ for an individual course doesn’t really work in its own app and would only be useful as a component of a larger app covering a listing/directory of all courses with course condition as a single feature, in addition to everything else like web cams, location maps, contact details, course guides, tee availability, upcoming events, live weather, prices etc etc etc etc

A club would need to feel like they are missing out by not being on the listing to encourage them to pay to be listed