Course closed

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Been shut the last 2 days due to flooding, rain forecast every day next week, so god knows when it will reopen.

Heartily sick of British weather!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You aren't alone.

And then some.....
For the last couple of months it seems we've been open for a day or two then closed for a few, open again for a couple of days and then closed again.
We've had so much rain this year...drainage ditches along some roads here are full to overflowing..never seen so much water in them.
Supposedly got a qualifier next Friday.
Yeah right!
With Monday being another total washout and more rain in the week I doubt we'll be open.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember saying last November that come March this will seem like a long winter. Certainly around my way, August was a wash out, September had 5 days without rain, October failed to produce an Indian summer and November, December, January and February were as expected. The snow in March was the icing on the cake (no pun intended), courses flooded today and snow expected tomorrow.

That’s 8 months since we had any decent weather!

Now, people will play golf in reasonable numbers in the rain in August and September and even October, but I can’t see how many club pro’s have made money since the end of October. That’s 5 months. They have to make serious money over the summer to make up for that. The Master’s generally heralds the start of the season. We could be watching it with snow on the ground. Add to this the fact that people simply find other things to do when they are not playing golf and you can see this is not good for our game at all. I’d say we are all pretty desperate for a cracking summer.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And then some.....
For the last couple of months it seems we've been open for a day or two then closed for a few, open again for a couple of days and then closed again.
We've had so much rain this year...drainage ditches along some roads here are full to overflowing..never seen so much water in them.
Supposedly got a qualifier next Friday.
Yeah right!
With Monday being another total washout and more rain in the week I doubt we'll be open.

hard to believe theyve opened AVGC this morning - carry only with lots of standing water (trying to appease the foolhardy who are desperate to play despite conditions it seems)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
hard to believe theyve opened AVGC this morning - carry only with lots of standing water (trying to appease the foolhardy who are desperate to play despite conditions it seems)

Been out driving this morning and the fields are like Oceans....must be completely bonkers and can't possibly do the course any good.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
New course manager and new Club manager last year.

I have seen more course closures this past 6 months than I have seen in the past 30 years.

Our 9 hole course was supposed to remain open regardless unless there was a risk of the course totally flooding. When that happens no one can get to it anyway because the water comes over the bridge leading to the course.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Been out driving this morning and the fields are like Oceans....must be completely bonkers and can't possibly do the course any good.

the same ones that have been moaning the course has been closed too much will be the same ones moaning about poor condition in a few months

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Consider yourself lucky that you have a club.

My club is being closed down next month after being sold in November to make way for 800 houses.

Devastated.

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mine has been closed on and off since the start of November, with it always being closed during the weekend which is the only time I play.

During December and January, genuinely, the course was open about 6 days.

They increased membership last year and cited ‘to improve drainage’ but I’ve had enough. I’m not renewing this year and will be taking my business elsewhere.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most courses (including my own) in this part of East Herts seem to be shut.

No surprise, as we've had an absolute deluge over the last couple of days, and temps are too low to dry it up or get the plant life active.

If it doesn't open tomorrow (which must be doubtful), I doubt it'll be open for days as Monday looks grim as anything. The worst golfing 'spring' I can remember...

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Just come back in the car and the outside temp registered 5 degrees and floods everywhere. Can we have global warming back please.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Consider yourself lucky that you have a club.

My club is being closed down next month after being sold in November to make way for 800 houses.

Devastated.
This is the big threat I was alluding to. Government targets to build a huge numbers of new homes by 2020, meaning every metropolitan council having to find land to build 30,000 new homes is an obvious threat to golf courses which are often the first large areas of land on the edge of towns.
If golfers can’t play due to the weather and get out of the habit of playing, it won’t be long before councils start citing lack of use to justify a land grab.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ours is open and has been all winter other than when the white stuff hit. Two holes have a local rule due to risk of plugging in the first cut but we are s victim of s double edged sword:

On the plus side our subs haven’t moved in three years and we are are lucky to be able to play most of the winter on no temps:

The down sides are Tthat our subs don’t move due to us allowing pay and play at weekends, this means during wet months we get large amounts of social traffic while other courses are closed but come the end of March or mid April that traffic all buggers off back to their own course and ours can take another two months to recover. I’d be happy to pay an extra hundred or so quid and ban pay and play during the wetter months