Course closed

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our place is open, but only because the heavy rain forecast for overnight hadnt happened by the time they do the course inspection.

however it just started about 10 minutes ago, and is due to chuck it down for the rest of the day. Water table is so high, it’s bound to be flooded and closed tomorrow.

Posted on another thread yesterday, we have had 350mm rainfall since Jan, more than double what we normally get.

D

Deleted member 15344

Played yesterday and the front 9 is dry , the new rope drainage on the greens is superb for £4K a green it’s well worth it , the back 9 for three holes there are some wet areas due to the poor soil but the new drainage they put in a couple years back is working well - but the water table must be very high. The rest of the week doesn’t look too bad with the odd shower and warm weather - when the sun does hit it’s a greenkeepers dream and the courses should be wonderful in May with the amount of growth.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Where it's still very soft you have the added problem of the warmer weather.
Grass is growing now and a lot of areas are too soft for mowers to get on them without churning up the ground.
Our greens are being cut by hand mowers but the fairways and rough are starting to look decidedly wooly!
As is my back garden grass....needs cutting but if I step on it I'm going to sink!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played yesterday and the front 9 is dry , the new rope drainage on the greens is superb for £4K a green it’s well worth it , the back 9 for three holes there are some wet areas due to the poor soil but the new drainage they put in a couple years back is working well - but the water table must be very high. The rest of the week doesn’t look too bad with the odd shower and warm weather - when the sun does hit it’s a greenkeepers dream and the courses should be wonderful in May with the amount of growth.

I think ours will be very scrappy this year, esp around the greens. With all the boggy areas, the grass is very inconsistent, with large areas where there is no grass, or bald patches. This really needed scarifying, and reseeding, but it hasnt bern done.
Miss the green by a yard, and the lie will be a lottery.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Still three holes (15, 16, 17) closed due to flooding from neighbouring fields that slope down towards the course - even the best sandy sub-soil might struggle. We've stuck in a pimple 70yd par 3 from beside our 14th green played to the 17th green - rather fun :)

Other than that the course is coping OK, OK underfoot and greens are grand.

Just wish it'd stop raining.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Rain all day yesterday and we must have had quite a lot in the night as the lanes and brooks near my house are flooded. Course is open.... now I know some won’t really get this but I wish they’d close the course. It’s left open regardless and the damage being done is disheartening. It’s going to take a long time to recover.

Fairways havent been been cut in ages and neither have the tee boxes due to how soft the ground is. Bunkers were like quick sand in places on Saturday.

Fed up with rain!

Come the height of summer the course will be a desert, I’ll never complain about dry tight fairways ever again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still fully open but wet in places. Buggy ban in place and I'd have it in place for a while if I had any say. Further to that I'd also rope off areas wide and short of each green as many are becoming bare and muddy where the buggies turn and park. Greens are holding up really well and according to the latest newsletter are running about 9.4 on the stimp which given the wetness is decent for this time of the season

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Played Royal St Davids yesterday and can honestly say that its the first time this year I've actually looked forward to playing. It was pleasantly warm, sun was shining and apart from a couple of wet patches the course was in great nick. Back to reality today, played eight holes at Nefyn in driving rain and a gale before giving it up as a bad job. Anyone who says ours is the best climate to live in does not live in it.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Another 3mm of rain in the night, doesnt sound like much but it was enough to top up our pond of a back garden - dread to think how its effecting the course - not sure Im going to bother this weekend...frustrated beyond belief

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Here in North Hampshire we had about 5.5mm overnight, my local course (Bishopswood) was very wet yesterday but just about playable is not surprisingly closed. As it happened i was off to Royal Ascot GC today but that is closed too. Most of the local courses are the same, however The Hampshire near Andover is fully open, on chalk and drains well it seems.

We should be in a spell of dry and warmer weather over the next week, so things should start to pick up.