Course closed

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Closed and I bet it's an ocean in places.
Couple of courses open, one on a chalk hill, but most shut.
Rivers are as high as I've seen them.
One part of town is built next to a couple of huge old gravel pits.
The level is up about 8 feet, maybe more.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Closed today was going to be first major comp of season but it’s to early for a major for me.
The course is not good enough yet but we have a board comp in the masters week.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have warmed the bilge pumps up in the beach hut just in case. Course is closed but the canoe is a bit snug these days so I wouldn't have bothered anyway

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a big honours board event this Easter, a bogey event. The fairways were awash on many places although the greens have held up perfectly. In all honesty it shouldn't have been open and I imagine it'll be closed tomorrow after the last day of the competition. The good news is the wind is due to be picking up and its relatively dry bar some showers so I hope it'll recover for the weekend

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played yesterday and the course should probably have been closed - in fact may have been later in the day as the rain continued. More to do with damage being caused to the course as we slipped and slided about churning up the ground. 3 holes were closed due to flooding coming from neighbouring fields we can do nothing about. The rest were wet underfoot but very playable - though some areas were becoming flooded as the rain came down. Greens were not affected as we have superb green drainage.

Played a foursomes match - got wet - and lost.

Last edited:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting, I would say the nomad subs should go up rather than you paying more. That aside, its been miserable here in east lothian but most courses open down the coast.

I agree, Nomad golfers are costing clubs members IMO. Force the visitors fee up and maybe some will consider joining a club.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree, Nomad golfers are costing clubs members IMO. Force the visitors fee up and maybe some will consider joining a club.

2 ways of looking at it, nomad green fees are also keeping some golf clubs afloat and saving them from going bust

The golf market has changed a lot and very difficult balance for clubs to operate optimally, especially if they are in a busy area where other clubs are changing a lot too

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
2 ways of looking at it, nomad green fees are also keeping some golf clubs afloat and saving them from going bust

The golf market has changed a lot and very difficult balance for clubs to operate optimally, especially if they are in a busy area where other clubs are changing a lot too

Don't disagree in some areas to be fair but I genuinely believe many of these golfers could keep clubs afloat by becoming members so offering these groupon discounts is a bit counter productive. I think there is an element of golfing Nomad who spend as much on fees as many golf club members.

DCB

Visit site
Don't disagree in some areas to be fair but I genuinely believe many of these golfers could keep clubs afloat by becoming members so offering these groupon discounts is a bit counter productive. I think there is an element of golfing Nomad who spend as much on fees as many golf club members.

Groupon ...... wash your mouth out with soap. Groupon are the only winners out of that one.

As for the nomads who spend as much on greenest as many a club member, I know some who spend way more and just don't see that a seasons membership would bring them far more of a reward or return on their hard earned cash.

Look down the coast at Gullane, they have over a period of time raised visitor fees and guess what ..... you still have to be fast off the mark to get a tee time.

If I was at the OPS club I'd not be happy that the winter pay & play traffic is causing wear on the course that sets it two months back on other courses in the area when the real season gets going.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Surprised to see we were open today albeit carry only. Had the day off so went to the practice ground to work on my pitching and that was as bad as I've seen it and finding anywhere suitable to hit balls was a struggle. Even the fringes of the putting green were sodden and made chipping practice hard too. I would have thought after a four day competition it wouldn't have hurt the course to close it for several days and give it a rest before next weekend

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Another day of rain yesterday has lead to a makeshift 9 hole course being open today.
More rain today and tomorrow....I can't remember a first quarter of the year when I've played less golf..
Is a couple of weeks of dry weather too much to ask..?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours is closed, and I have just cancelled my Friday game as the course is starting to look like a ploughed field in some areas. I lost a ball on a par 3 the other day in an area just short of a greenside bunker:angry: