Country Membership and 2nd Membership in the North West.

Diamond

Visit site
I was wondering if any of you have a country membership or 2nd membership at any courses and if their are any recommendations for the north west of England. Cost and distance are my main 2 criteria. I live near junction 21 of M6.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was wondering if any of you have a country membership or 2nd membership at any courses and if their are any recommendations for the north west of England. Cost and distance are my main 2 criteria. I live near junction 21 of M6.

How far are you willing to drive. I'm off j20 and had a cou try membership at St Anne's Old Links for quite a few years. Just got too expensive.

When i originally got it, I looked around and the best value memberships were in Nort Wales. Conwy stood out as great value. The other i was considering was Silloth, but that was just a bit too far.

D

Deleted member 3432

I was going to say Silloth, excellent mid season offer at present but I suspect junction 21 is way down south....

We do have members who travel from Glasgow and Newcastle every week so it must be worth it :cool:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was going to say Silloth, excellent mid season offer at present but I suspect junction 21 is way down south....

We do have members who travel from Glasgow and Newcastle every week so it must be worth it :cool:

Silloth is a great course and a great club. Friendly members and down to earth clubhouse. Playable year round too.

Quick google suggests J21 Woolston/Warrington to Silloth is about 2.5 hrs drive.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I have a country membership at Woodhall Spa, it’s my 2nd year.

Most are costed by how far away you live, most state you must live over 100 miles away, so that’s the first thing to look into.

You can’t just join a club ‘up the road’ on country membership, as they don’t expect you to be playing there as often as their own membership, who will be paying out substantially more than you.

Diamond

Visit site
How far are you willing to drive. I'm off j20 and had a cou try membership at St Anne's Old Links for quite a few years. Just got too expensive.

When i originally got it, I looked around and the best value memberships were in Nort Wales. Conwy stood out as great value. The other i was considering was Silloth, but that was just a bit too far.
I believe Conwy is a fantastic course. Often go to Llandusno as well.

Diamond

Visit site
Silloth is a great course and a great club. Friendly members and down to earth clubhouse. Playable year round too.

Quick google suggests J21 Woolston/Warrington to Silloth is about 2.5 hrs drive.
Yep too far really but another course I neds to play.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had country at Conwy for 3 years. Had to give it up, last year, due to work commitments and have missed it ever since.

Great club, stunning location, year round golf on an excellent course.

D

Deleted member 21258

I was at Conwy but left there, due to the restrictions on tee times available to 2nd club members(if you are a male, then you can pay more for the more expensive country membership and get access to Saturday mens comp tee times, which in winter are basically all of Saturdays). Course wise is it very forgiving and fairly short and almost always open, so ideal to play in the winds of autumn/winter. Wife really liked the course.

There are a number of courses along the North wales A55 route and Iirc all offer some kind of 2nd club/country membership.

I pick based on it being a sand based course for all year round play and that it creates enough excitement, to make me want to drive there and play. As typically they are a far distance away, so do cost petrol and time.

Best of luck where ever you pick.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have often contemplated a country membership as some of these can be very reasonable. My biggest question would simply be do those that have them, actually use them. My biggest fear would simply how far would I comfortably go and how often would I use it. Based in Berkshire, where would people suggest. I was looking at somewhere like Cumberwell Park which is only a hop down the M4 but that's around £750 (no green fees on top).

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have often contemplated a country membership as some of these can be very reasonable. My biggest question would simply be do those that have them, actually use them. My biggest fear would simply how far would I comfortably go and how often would I use it. Based in Berkshire, where would people suggest. I was looking at somewhere like Cumberwell Park which is only a hop down the M4 but that's around £750 (no green fees on top).
I thought you didn't drive, isn't that going to be a problem?

D

Deleted member 1740

I’d only be bothering with a links course, possibly a heathland too.

Conwy is a good run down the M56/A55 from where you are.

Have you checked Wallasey’s distance for country?

Diamond

Visit site
I’d only be bothering with a links course, possibly a heathland too.

Conwy is a good run down the M56/A55 from where you are.

Have you checked Wallasey’s distance for country?

It is 26 miles via M62 and the tunnel But 37 miles M56 and M53. Can’t seem to find any info on the web site myself about cost and distance for country membership.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Keep us posted, be interested to hear which club you decide to join (y)

Definitely heading west (ish) but don't really want to be more than 2 hours in a car tops which is why Cumberwell works. However as I said the problem comes down to how often I'd use it and is it a case of getting membership somewhere almost for the sake of it and only using it a handful of times which doesn't seem to make any sense. It's something I'll look into and perhaps more importantly what type of course I want (perhaps something other than parkland)

D

Deleted member 1740

Definitely heading west (ish) but don't really want to be more than 2 hours in a car tops which is why Cumberwell works. However as I said the problem comes down to how often I'd use it and is it a case of getting membership somewhere almost for the sake of it and only using it a handful of times which doesn't seem to make any sense. It's something I'll look into and perhaps more importantly what type of course I want (perhaps something other than parkland)

How does Cumberwell hold up during the winter H?

My thoughts would be instead of joining 2 clubs for close to £2k or more subs, how about membership at 1 of the better
courses like Hankley etc.