Could you play without a Driver?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I could play without a driver but I would probably lose a few opportunities for par or birdie.

I think my course management (as long as I have my laser range finder) is good enough that I know when I can pull out my driver and when I should leave it in the bag.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
yes is the short answer, anything under 6500 yds and I think I'd get round ok, might have issues on the Par 5's though trying to power a 4 wood

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
I think there's a big difference between 'could' and 'should', to be honest.

I've played several rounds using just my 20 degree hybrid off the tee and my FIR are much higher (and I'm not much shorter off the tee, to be honest).

But would I do this all the time? No - because that's just not what golf is about.

You COULD take your putter off the tee and you'll have 100% FIR, but golf courses are designed - in the most part - to reward a good drive from time-to-time. That doesn't mean you should use it on every hole (far from it), but that to banish the driver is illogical. It's shying away from a core component of the game of golf, just because it's hard.

Easier said than done, but rather than make golf easier by avoiding the clubs that get you into trouble, we should all work on making those clubs work for us. Otherwise golf becomes a race to the bottom.

As someone else has said, you shouldn't be scared of any club (even though we all are really).

Interesting that reading this month's GM lots of voices saying that the driver should be the easiest club in the bag to hit - even though it rarely is.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i think people tend to slash at the driver more as in most cases it has a massive head. i am using an old titleist 975j to train me to take more care and make sure im hitting out of the centre of the club. smaller head lets me know if i am or not!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Given that I'm quite good at Driving I doubt I'd score better without it. There was a time many years ago the longest club I carried was a 3i and I knocked it round pretty well in the summer, the winter was a bit of a slog though

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that some replies have got crossed wires......
I wasnt saying to take it out of the bag im just curious to see who would play without one and would there scoring be any better.....

I also agree with some in saying its an easier club to hit than the 3 wood ....But......Its harder to keep it straighter in my opinion....Of that i am sure....

Im also aware that you probably do need to be able to hit it on certain courses and to be honest as my confidence starts growing with it i know that i will start to use it more...
So at the moment i will use it where i have room for error on our course which happens to be all our par 5's which are the first holes that you start to loose shot off as your handicap drops....

If i can manage to start hitting the ball straighter on those holes then i will start to use it on the par 4's that are a little more generous in room for error...
I believe that my thinking on this is better course management.....

But i still get a great feeling when i nail it out of the screws.:clap:

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I leave my driver in the garage all winter. As driving is one pf my strong points I can always pick it back up in spring no problem. That gives me all winter to play with my 3-wood. I have rare need for it during the season, but I find it a good way of keeping my confidence with it.

My sound strange to others, but works for me

DavePhoenix

Medal Winner
Visit site
its all about course management at the end of the day and weighing up the risks of using the driver.

i reckon you could play without a driver but where is the fun in that?!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems to me a lot of people on here are not using the correct loft or shaft in there drivers, can't see how a 3 wood can be easier to hit that a big headed high lofted driver.
Mike

Agree on this.

All the 9 degree folks need to take a long hard look.

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Coincidentally we went out today and because the course was barely playable decided to carry. Took a 5w,7i,9i and gap wedge. Played much more consistently. Hit every fairway off the tee, hit every fairway on the second shot and found that the approach shots were an ideal distance to the green. Not once did I curse not having the driver.
Would I go out with the electric trolley without a driver - no way. Lets stuff the bag with 14 clubs and make the usual mess of it.