Could my shafts be too soft?

timgolfy

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
As you may know, over the last few months I've been trying to increase my swing speed so as to be able to hit balls like the tour pros do. I'm more than happy with my driver and 3w distances, but my irons are proving problematic.

I'm hitting the ball very very well on the range now - I really don't think I can improve. My clubhead speed for irons is bang on cue to match the pros, I'm making sweet contacts (most of the time), and feel I'm really spanking the back of the ball well (down and through, with a lovely crisp feeling).

Been taking measurements on the range. Now the range in question (Brickhampton) uses Click 90 balls (one piece, 90% balls), so obviously do not ease measurements, and today was a slight cross wind. (the range markers at the course are 10% short - so the 150 marker is actually 135 - but my measurements are actual, measued against fixed points).

All measurements approximations:
9i carrying about 135 yards (so +10% = say 150)
8i carrying about 145 yards (=160)
7i carrying about 155 yards (=170)
6i carrying about 165 yards (=180)

Now these distances are about 20 yards short of where I want to be. I've tried placing the ball at various placed in the stance, and these distances are the optimal I've found (centre stance, slight draw).

What I have noticed is that my ball flight is very high. Could it be that I'm losing distance because of my DG S300 shafts?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get ye to a decent club fitter. They'll tell you. Mizuno's SwingDNA is probably your best bet.

High ball flight isn't an issue as long as it's penetrating and not ballooning. The pro's hardly hit the ball low, do they?

timgolfy

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Get ye to a decent club fitter. They'll tell you. Mizuno's SwingDNA is probably your best bet.

High ball flight isn't an issue as long as it's penetrating and not ballooning. The pro's hardly hit the ball low, do they?
Yeah, I was planning to go to Ping for a full-fitting, but will wait now until the G20 driver is released!

According to PGA stats, the average height reached for all shots is around 30 yards. I feel mine are going higher than this (though difficult to measure).

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
According to PGA stats, the average height reached for all shots is around 30 yards. I feel mine are going higher than this (though difficult to measure).

It's a bit silly to compare against this though, because (I assume) this is an average across all clubs. The ball flight of a driver is going to be considerably lower than that of a wedge, for instance.

I have a fairly high ball flight, which isn't a problem for me, because I know I can land longer irons on the green without having to account for too much "run". This is much more preferable to me.

timgolfy

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
It's a bit of an amazing stat, but look at the heights of these (taken from Andrew Rice Golf website). All clubs reach approx 30 yards!

2009-Tour-Averages.jpg

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's true
Ideally all clubs should reach the same height at some stage of the flight. The longer the club the further down the flightpath it reaches that height.

Tim
If you're swinging as fast as you say you are then S300's are probably waaaay to soft. I have them in my irons and my 6 iron SS was 84mph at fitting. If you're nearing 100 or more then X stiff could be needed.
As Aztec says, the Mizzy swing DNA will give you all you need.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Now these distances are about 20 yards short of where I want to be. I've tried placing the ball at various placed in the stance, and these distances are the optimal I've found (centre stance, slight draw).

What I have noticed is that my ball flight is very high. Could it be that I'm losing distance because of my DG S300 shafts?

tim, can i ask why you feel you need to hit a 9i longer than 150 yards, more importantly 170 yards with your + 20 yards :D

If your aiming to hit 9i 170, this would leave a PW about 150, sw/gw about 130, and a lw/58* about 110. thats leaving a massive room for guessing between full shots and the green. Id personally hate to have such a wide area of guess work between my shortest full shot.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm hitting the ball very very well on the range now - I really don't think I can improve.

Sorry Tim but from a 16 handicapper, that has got to be the biggest load of old cobblers i have heard. Luke Donald wouldn't have the nerve to say that, and he has been known to hit a good ball.

timgolfy

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Sorry Tim but from a 16 handicapper, that has got to be the biggest load of old cobblers i have heard. Luke Donald wouldn't have the nerve to say that, and he has been known to hit a good ball.
I meant that in reference to clubhead speed. I feel I'm now maxed out. To generate more speed I think would require years more of training (too old now), and the speeds are similar to those in the chart.

Re: why? I don't really want to cover old ground again - that's not the purpose of this post.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I meant that in reference to clubhead speed. I feel I'm now maxed out. To generate more speed I think would require years more of training (too old now), and the speeds are similar to those in the chart.

Re: why? I don't really want to cover old ground again - that's not the purpose of this post.

I apologise i must have misinterpreted what you were saying. :D

BogeyHole

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The interesting thing is that I don't think I'm a million miles off the ladies numbers.

Which might not sound much to you, but I think is pretty darn good for me.

:p

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The interesting thing is that I don't think I'm a million miles off the ladies numbers.

Which might not sound much to you, but I think is pretty darn good for me.

:p

I am spot on their numbers with a driver. :D :D :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
amazing what you can read into a load of stats.
according to that I'm only about a club - 2 clubs shorter than the pros across the board off a much slower swing.
the only area I seem to beat the lot is smash factor
(as measured when I was fitted; driver 1.57, 7-iron 1.38 (average over a small sample))

so, where are they wasting the energy?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tim

Id be almost certain those shafts are too soft for you.

Do not instantly go for the X100, try both of the KBS and the rifle shafts as a bare minimum.

Personally use Rifle flighted 6.5s and they produce a decent flight that I feel in full control of and didnt like the X100s when I tried them, I know of others who have the opposite view

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's true
Ideally all clubs should reach the same height at some stage of the flight. The longer the club the further down the flightpath it reaches that height.

Tim
If you're swinging as fast as you say you are then S300's are probably waaaay to soft. I have them in my irons and my 6 iron SS was 84mph at fitting. If you're nearing 100 or more then X stiff could be needed.
As Aztec says, the Mizzy swing DNA will give you all you need.

It's true that the higher swing speed could mean a stiffer staff, but there's other factors to consider. You may need the same flex shaft but with a different kick point. Or you may need a super light shaft to get more speed for same flex. It really depends on your loading the shaft characteristics and how you strike the ball; maybe it's too steep that imparts too much spin?

The X100 is more stable through ball and you'll notice it's more head heavy. The project x (either 6 or 6.5) is a mid kick point shaft and the KBS tour is butt heavy and thus lighter feel. These are the main shafts that Mizuno do through their Swing DNA thingy.

If you can do the Swing DNA then I would thoroughly recommend it. You'll then be able to see your swing characteristics and ball/club launch monitor data. The fitter may suggest to soft or hard step the shafts, or strengthen the lofts to knock the spin rate down.

And don't forget about dispersion. Some shafts, certainly even stiffer ones, may result in a wider spread of balls...not good!