Could i get too tour level??

jdallenn

Hacker
Visit site
Ive been playing golf a year now, i got the bug, i am totally addicted to the game, regularly practice and love improving. I started off with a standard 28 handicap but my first recorded score was 115 on a par 70 course. A year on and after a lot of hard work and focus i am now a 7 handicap golfer, shot 73 in my competition this past saturday and 75 the previous week. Ive never been taught, watch videos on youtube and teach myself. My question is with the right teacher and lessons could i get too the highest level, i have just turned 20. Thanks!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done for moving your handicap so quickly. You must have a fair chunk of natural talent.... but as you approach cat1 you'll soon find out how much harder golf becomes.
With the right coach and time, anything is possible but you've only got to look at all the mini tours with players that turned pro at +3/+4 and struggle to make it work. Golf at that level is not alone about skill but mental fortitude. A good 70/30 split for mental strength and skill.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Possible but, unfortunately, not probable.
It's good that you've got down to 7 so quickly but age is probably against you
P!enty of players have been scratch or better at an earlier age and not made it to the big time.
That's not to say Don't try.,....

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Could you? I suppose so but it is important to realise how big certain skill gaps are. I have experience with some of the elite amateur national squad players in the UK and the difference between them and the best players at your typical club or even county players is enormous. The gap from there to a Challenge tour player is then also huge in the vast majority of cases.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Go for it - but I'd caution against making it all you do in life. And at least set your expectations - don't think you'll become a top tour pro - imagine yourself as another decent standard pro - as already said - age is even now probably against you. I only say that as Justin Rose won one of the countries top amateur comps (the Hampshire Hog) at the age of 14.

But follow your dream - you only do this life thing once.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
No the difference between were you are and were you need to get to is massive, much much bigger than the distance you have already covered, enjoy amatuer golf play for fun.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's entirely possible but pretty unlikely

A member at my place was about a 5 h/c some years ago when he was about 18 and I don't recall him being set on a career as a player but he obviously worked hard and at about 25 made it onto the Challenge Tour and then a season on the European Tour followed. He's back on the Challenge Tour now but I doubt anyone though he'd ever be a pro player

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
of course there is a chance, but its a very slim chance. You would be competing for places with guys that have played internationally, been to US colleges and pretty much played professionally while there They have also prob been playing off + figures since they where 14 or 15.

jdallenn

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I understand the goal is very unrealistic I just wanted to ask the question and see what people thought, I've seen the pros on the europro and challenge tour and realise the level is a ridiculous step up. Just a small dream of mine, thanks for all the feedback!

jdallenn

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you, yeah I understand as soon as I reach (if I reach) 2-0 handicap the reality is shooting under par consistently too move it which is a huge task!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't want to pee on your parade but there is a guy at my club (former British amateur champion) who has recently got his amateur status back as he couldn't make a living on any of the tours. His handicap is just 0.2 away from being +6.

jdallenn

Hacker
Visit site
No not peeing on my parade thanks for you honesty, it is an almost impossible task just wanted to ask the question! Thanks for your reply!

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Go for it - but I'd caution against making it all you do in life. And at least set your expectations - don't think you'll become a top tour pro - imagine yourself as another decent standard pro - as already said - age is even now probably against you. I only say that as Justin Rose won one of the countries top amateur comps (the Hampshire Hog) at the age of 14.

But follow your dream - you only do this life thing once.

Really good advice right here. +1

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No not peeing on my parade thanks for you honesty, it is an almost impossible task just wanted to ask the question! Thanks for your reply!

BUT don't let all the naysayers put you off dreaming, working hard and going for it... many people overcome huge seemingly insurmountable odds to achieve great things.... albeit there will be a lot of competition trying to do the same.

What other career options have you thought of? Are you good academically or at Uni? Not putting all your eggs in one basket is a good idea but come up with a plan to achieve what you want.

jdallenn

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you for posting, I am going to keep dreaming and believing as already said, you only live once if you don't try you will not succeed. I currently work part time 4 days a week, I've been to college and completed my courses, I am only working to try and support the dream I have really, I want to put everything I can into this. Thanks for the positivity really appreciate it!

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair enough but there doesn't seem a lot of contingency in place in your dreams.... what if you fail after 5 years of trying? you'll be 25 with not much "good" work experience or qualifications.

If you get down to a lower handicap you could look at being a teaching pro which would give you a fall back, still be involved in golf and also still keep trying to achieve your goals

jdallenn

Hacker
Visit site
If I fail I have enough college qualifications and other work experience to find a good job, I currently work doing taxes and finance with business elements, always on the lookout for business opportunities, yeah I thought about being a pro have to be under 4 handicap if I'm not mistaken? I do have backups, but at the moment this is my main focus I agree with you about having a seperate plan in place, thanks again for the good input