Could Bernhard Langer compete on the European Tour?

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nobody has mentioned the fact they only play 54 hole events on the Champs tour outside the majors, that's a big difference when you're 60.

I think he would struggle on the European Tour from a stamina point of view rather than his game.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nobody has mentioned the fact they only play 54 hole events on the Champs tour outside the majors, that's a big difference when you're 60.

I think he would struggle on the European Tour from a stamina point of view rather than his game.

it has been mentioned a few times already :whoo:

D

Deleted member 15344

Really? I'm more than confident that he would have brought more to the team than Lee Westwood did in both 2014 & 2016. Would probably have been a smarter captains pick.

:rofl:

Blimey Craw you certainly havent mentioned Westwood and the Ryder Cup before have you - also can understand that he didnt have his best in 2016 but 2014 ? Westwood got 2 points ? decent return - maybe you should have pointed more towards Gallacher who scored "0" ,or is that because he is Scottish :rolleyes:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
:rofl:

Blimey Craw you certainly havent mentioned Westwood and the Ryder Cup before have you - also can understand that he didnt have his best in 2016 but 2014 ? Westwood got 2 points ? decent return - maybe you should have pointed more towards Gallacher who scored "0" ,or is that because he is Scottish :rolleyes:

Start a thread on Gallacher amd I'll happy share my opinion.

Unlike you to take a thread off track! :blah: Not.

D

Deleted member 15344

Start a thread on Gallacher amd I'll happy share my opinion.

Unlike you to take a thread off track! :blah: Not.

Off track ? its responding to your post about Langer being a better pick than Westwood in the 2014 Ryder Cup and why you picked Westwood when other players had a worse Ryder Cup and indeed the player you pointed out was someone that you have appeared to have mentioned quite a few times ( or should i say anytime Ryder Cup is mentioned ) so asking for clarification Craw in regards a point you made.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
If he selected events to enter well I'd put money on him for a win! Love it when the older guys do well. Just something a little different to the new age with the perfect swings and huge power.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nice to think it, but no, I don't believe he would win or be competitive although he could well retain his card. I believe that if he thought he would be then he'd still be competing on the European Tour and not the Seniors Tour.

I think the 4 rounds point is valid, harder set up and would become much more of a grind not competing for the wins in comparison to the Seniors Tour. As that started to happen then there would be more pressure on his game reducing his ability. If you compare him to Jimenez that hasn't got the same seniors record but has been top 20 in all events, then he is p50-70 on most events unless it's like crans with course knowledge/benefit.

Yes, he's had good showings in recent Masters so wouldn't disgrace himself but that hides the fact he missed the cut in 7 of his last 10 there despite it being a different expectation and course knowledge can be a leveller.

As for Ryder Cup comments, then no, it would have been ridiculous even with Westwood with hindsight not returning as many points - Lee's experience is higher than Langers, better world ranking, closer to current pros, better driving stats etc.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If he selected events to enter well I'd put money on him for a win! Love it when the older guys do well. Just something a little different to the new age with the perfect swings and huge power.

Oldest European Tour winner is Jimenez at 50, if you take him out then you have to go back to 2001 and 1982 for a 48 yr old to win. That's a lot of past history to break to do it at 60. Davis Love is the only winner over 50 in the last decade on PGA tour, there has been 7 in history over 50 with the oldest being 52.

I know it's just a message board, but if Langer does come back then I hope you get high odds!!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Oldest European Tour winner is Jimenez at 50, if you take him out then you have to go back to 2001 and 1982 for a 48 yr old to win. That's a lot of past history to break to do it at 60. Davis Love is the only winner over 50 in the last decade on PGA tour, there has been 7 in history over 50 with the oldest being 52.

I know it's just a message board, but if Langer does come back then I hope you get high odds!!
Tom Watson nearly won the Open at 59. Lost in a play off, after a bogey at the last.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tom Watson nearly won the Open at 59. Lost in a play off, after a bogey at the last.

I think that’s in part the point, yes it could happen but Tom Watson played very well on a course he’s had past success at and still didn’t win. That’s 09 so already close to a decade ago and you would suggest the depth of golf fields have strengthened since.

The rarity that old players can compete demonstrates how tough it would be for Langer to be competitive on tour. Lovely thought, but there is a reason the seniors are on the seniors tour.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I feel if Langer was motivated to go back on the ET I think he could retain a card, maybe a few top tens but not feature on a Sunday too often. I think the tour has moved on immensely since he stopped playing and there will be a learning curve. It would be whether he could get up on some courses, especially in the wet and whether the putter behaved that would determine whether he could do it

D

Deleted Member 1156

I feel if Langer was motivated to go back on the ET I think he could retain a card, maybe a few top tens but not feature on a Sunday too often. I think the tour has moved on immensely since he stopped playing and there will be a learning curve. It would be whether he could get up on some courses, especially in the wet and whether the putter behaved that would determine whether he could do it

Did you read his stats in the OP? His putting is outstanding!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that’s in part the point, yes it could happen but Tom Watson played very well on a course he’s had past success at and still didn’t win. That’s 09 so already close to a decade ago and you would suggest the depth of golf fields have strengthened since.

The rarity that old players can compete demonstrates how tough it would be for Langer to be competitive on tour. Lovely thought, but there is a reason the seniors are on the seniors tour.
Langer was 8th in the Masters in 2014, and he seems to be playing as well as ever. Very fit, and I think he would still be able to compete, though doubt he would win.

Think he makes too much money on the seniors to go back to the main tour though.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Don't still think of him as that guy with the yips

He is a superb putter now with this technique (whatever you may think of it's legality, anchoring or not)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did you read his stats in the OP? His putting is outstanding!

Think there's a massive difference between the green set up on the senior tour and those on the ET the latter being quicker. Also having to make them over 4 rounds instead of three. Think it's hard to take these comparison stats at face value as there are loads of factors to consider including 3 v 4 rounds, the length of the course, the greens and the quality of the field each week

D

Deleted member 23270

Think there's a massive difference between the green set up on the senior tour and those on the ET the latter being quicker. Also having to make them over 4 rounds instead of three. Think it's hard to take these comparison stats at face value as there are loads of factors to consider including 3 v 4 rounds, the length of the course, the greens and the quality of the field each week

Where are you getting that information from? What makes you think the greens are any different?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Where are you getting that information from? What makes you think the greens are any different?

and the Pro's aren't bothered by fast greens (apart from outliers like Augusta) like some of us are, in fact the faster and smoother the better I'd have thought

Where they struggle a bit is on the poorer and slower greens

Also having to make them over 4 rounds instead of three
Why would that make any difference, if anything an extra day's experience of the greens might help?