Costa Del Sol

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
not long back from my trip - info on the courses I played for anyone thinking of booking a trip across there soon.

Santa Maria - very good in terms of layout and playability. Buggy's to remain on cartpaths however there was not a great deal of walking on this course compared to others - lucky enough to play the course early when greens still relatively slow - look like they could be deadly in full flow. This course was enjoyable for all in our handicap ranges 6-25

Parador Old - Avoid! Avoid! Avoid! For pure presentation and course signage for more than anything else. Some dodgy greens as well in need of much repair. Plenty more options available for golf in this area - only thing going for it was that is was close to the airport. Again, more than suitable for all handicap ranges. Buggy's were to remain on path's entering fairways at 90 degree, ok, but where were your paths???

Santana - Best course I've played in the area over the 3 years I've been going (Fair enough, I haven't paid top £££ to play Valderrama...) This course is beautiful and has holes to suit all. Only down comment is there is alot of walking involved with the size of the fairways and the design of the cart path.

El Chapparal - I loved this course, basically as it suited my game, however, the other 7 in my group didn't quite feel the same. Tight driving holes over big revines (sp) meant anything offline was more than likely lost. Very nice presentation to the course however would not recommend going there if your not resigned to the probability your bag will be a few balls short come the end of the day. Buggy's on paths however design means there is not that much walking involved.

We're already planning our (extended) trip back next year which will more than likely include one of the ever faithful La Cala courses plus Santana however has anyone else been there and got any recommendations?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Good information there.

I've just booked up to go to Puerto Banus next june so really looking forward to playing a round or 2....... If I can be dragged out of Sinatra's that is!

Apparently my hotel has a really good relationship with local courses which gives transport and preferrential green-fees.

Can't wait to get out there.

ace_in_the_pack

Medal Winner
Visit site
If u want a real challenge when ur out there the place to play is Monte Mayor, it is awesome!

I have played it three or four times now and the front nine is still impossible but u get a chance to make ur score look respectable on the back side.

Take a lot of ammunition but when ur there u have to play it!!

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Monte Mayor - the most bizarre golf course I have ever played! It is an adventure in itself to get to the course up the mountain roads. I’m not sure how anyone ever thought to build a golf course there. If you miss the fairway on a lot of holes your ball is lost!

Definitely worth playing once!

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Monte Mayor is definitely a course not to take seriously but worth it alone for the entertainment factor and the views. Santa Maria. The only other courses I've played are two at La Cala - both good but I hear here they have built loads of villas on it which I hate. Don't mind the occasional one but don't like that hemmed in feeling combined with 'I might smash a window' paranoia.