Cost of golf clothing

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Any logo gear on a course frequented by overseas tourists is going to be nuts... I get most of my stuff in the sales unless there's something I need urgently. Somehow I manage to scrape by in the style that is 6 months old! :)

this is what i was alluding to, as a member of a club that is frequented by overseas visitors, the clubs are out pricing the members. i haven't brought anything from the shop for some time and last time i did it was in the sale

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
See what it's like after a few washes.
My experience has been the quality diminishes pretty quick.
Mostly, at the end of the day you only get what you pay for.
Yes there are some brands that are ridiculously priced, but in the main the decent manufacturers stuff lasts.

The quality is fine, as good as a number of shirts I have bought from big names, much better than some Nike products I have owned.

The vast majority of the shirts will be made in the same factories with the same machinery, the price difference will come from which logo you put on it. There will be exceptions where quality control is much higher, or they are made in the UK etc in which case paying more is understandable

Wolf

Visit site
I find that is a place that everyone else gets a bargain in but I never see any. I keep hearing people doing well there but it is only poor quality gear when I put my head in. Maybe it is a case of ice skating pandas for me.

I love the jumble sale analogy for it, that is totally my own experience.
TK Max the shop where everyone I know goes in and gets a quality bargain. Yet its the same shop I go in and just get the hump..

Can't stand the place in a lot of cases I'd rather just pay more for something than rummage through the jumble sale that they put out.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just wait for the sales.

Adidas always do an end of season sale. Got some great trousers for £25 each which were £60 earlier in the year.

American golf sale is also very good on Boxing day. Managed to pick up a lot of bargains last year.

I would never ever pay over £30 for a golf shirt unless it was a club shirt, even if the Footjoy ones look lovely, they are not worth £50 odd they are asking.

I remember playing down at RCD with a member and he was telling me that an American Tourist had 10 polos on the till desk. Those polos were £90 each... and that wasn't even all of his basket! Absolutely ludicrous prices but if people will pay for it then why not?

Managed to find some bargains in TK Maxx. Got a nice UA jumper for £16 last time I was in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like most things, you can spend as much or as little as you like. My golf trousers and shorts are all from SportsDirect, cost about a tenner each and are comfortable enough that I don't notice them when I'm playing, which is all I want really. I only have two golf-specific polos which were about £13 each from Clubhouse Golf, other than that I just wear Ralph Lauren polos that I could wear outside of golf also. And a couple of them were probably from TK Maxx I think. ;) They are good for a bargain on occasions, but you can't go in with a clear idea of what you want, you just have to have a look and sometimes you get lucky with something.

Hackers76

Visit site
I spend a fair bit of time in the North West with work and get a lot of my clothing from Cheshire Oaks outlet village. They have Boss, CK, RL, Oakley, Adidas, Nike and even an Ecco where I bought my last spikeless shoes. If I see something in a club shop or AG that really catches my eye I will pay full price (within reason) but outlets like Cheshire Oaks are great.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find that is a place that everyone else gets a bargain in but I never see any. I keep hearing people doing well there but it is only poor quality gear when I put my head in. Maybe it is a case of ice skating pandas for me.

I love the jumble sale analogy for it, that is totally my own experience.

It is very random but I have foudn some decent gear in there. Only ever polo shirts but found Callaway, Ping, Ralph Lauren, Sunderland and a few others.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is very random but I have foudn some decent gear in there. Only ever polo shirts but found Callaway, Ping, Ralph Lauren, Sunderland and a few others.
I have not seen any Callaway, Ping or Sunderland, ever, even in Xs or XXL, the most popular size in TK Max as I see it. I have seen RL plenty of times but that is a brand that is copied so many times that whenever I see someone in a RL top I automatically assume it is a knock off. No fault of RL, just the counterfeiters. You have done well to get decent makes.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have not seen any Callaway, Ping or Sunderland, ever, even in Xs or XXL, the most popular size in TK Max as I see it. I have seen RL plenty of times but that is a brand that is copied so many times that whenever I see someone in a RL top I automatically assume it is a knock off. No fault of RL, just the counterfeiters. You have done well to get decent makes.
the few times i've been in a tackymax i thought the same about all the so designer labels, esp the RL, none looked anything like the quality of the stuff i got from our pro shop

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
TK Maxx, got some stonking stuff from there over the years 😁👍

Only decent golf bargain I have had from TK Maxx was a pair of Back Tee Gore Tex trousers for £35 and that was at least 10 years ago!!!

Saying that I couldn't tell you the last time I was in that store!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I always buy FJ shoes when I see the price drop... often the ones I'm wearing next winter will be boutght now and summer ones bought in November! (everyone loves a bargain!)

But i do admit to spending silly money on a Boss shirt when i signed my last contract.... it was nice, and the odd treat is as good as a bargain!

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
I pretty much exclusively buy Callaway polos and jumpers, and these can always be picked up for £20-25 for a shirt and £30-40 for a jumper. For trousers, I need a slim fitting 36" leg so Under Armour are great. Amazon pricing on Under Armour trousers is totally random, and you can get very lucky dependent on size....recently bought two pairs of UA Showdown trousers for around £20 each!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have found that for me, in general Ping offer the best comfort, fit and life for my money. I only buy clothing when it's on offer, but I wuld say Ping is definately even worth it's full price.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I always buy FJ shoes when I see the price drop... often the ones I'm wearing next winter will be boutght now and summer ones bought in November! (everyone loves a bargain!)

But i do admit to spending silly money on a Boss shirt when i signed my last contract.... it was nice, and the odd treat is as good as a bargain!
we had a load of Boss stuff in the shop on the sale rail, loads of Jumpers and shirts Half Price, tried on a couple of the jumpers, and thought of getting them, but TBH i looked like a stack of Spuds, def for the slimmer Gentleman:ROFLMAO:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have found that for me, in general Ping offer the best comfort, fit and life for my money. I only buy clothing when it's on offer, but I wuld say Ping is definately even worth it's full price.
I agree. I really like Ping clothing. Irrespective of the fact I use the clubs, I'd buy their clothing anyway. They do some decent styles without being garish, at a decent price and it's excellent quality and lasts