Cost of golf clothing

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Was up at Dornoch yesterday as always popped in the shop for a look around.

I brought one of their own branded Donald Ross Tops a couple of years ago, its a standard sort of long sleeve zip up top with RD logo, it cost me £25 in the sale reduced from £50. Looked at the latest offering £159, shirts were £99. I suspect only people who will be buying are american tourists, Even UA shirts were £65, same shirt at Tain is £30. my club are just as bad everything is overpriced

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
All golf clothing that I have bought has been bought in the sales. The only non sale items I have will be ones bought for me as presents. A lot of golf gear is hugely over priced and only when it hits sale time does it become sensible.

At the recent footjoy focus group meeting I was at, others from the forum were there at different times, I think there was universal wincing at many of the rrp they were quoting. I'd be interested to know what percentage gets sold at full price and how much when discounted? Equally, at what price do items need to reach before they really start to shift?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Was up at Dornoch yesterday as always popped in the shop for a look around.

I brought one of their own branded Donald Ross Tops a couple of years ago, its a standard sort of long sleeve zip up top with RD logo, it cost me £25 in the sale reduced from £50. Looked at the latest offering £159, shirts were £99. I suspect only people who will be buying are american tourists, Even UA shirts were £65, same shirt at Tain is £30. my club are just as bad everything is overpriced

Some kit is really ridiculously priced.

Some of the Dundonald branded kit is eye watering and I certainly wouldn't buy it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some brands are hugely over priced. I prefer the likes of FJ, Ping and Adidas. Reasonably priced as far as golf gear goes and I like the colours and styles. I would never dream of paying the prices in the OP. I can get 2-3 shirts in my preferred brands for those prices

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s great that we have this choice. I have no issue with expensive clothing. You don’t have to buy it.
Many people like spending money on good gear. All sports clothing can be really expensive. Skiing clothing is mega money. You can get plenty of gear cheaply though. Same as golf.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
went in our shop today before my game, we have Boss stuff pretty expensive and no club logo which makes a change and Kjus which is ridiculously expensive

Wolf

Visit site
A lot is expensive but means there is choice for everyone at each end of the spectrum I guess.

My preferred brands are Under Armour, Adidas, Puma or Calvin Klein. All 4 are at really affordable prices through County golf website and good service to.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
All golf clothing that I have bought has been bought in the sales. The only non sale items I have will be ones bought for me as presents. A lot of golf gear is hugely over priced and only when it hits sale time does it become sensible.

At the recent footjoy focus group meeting I was at, others from the forum were there at different times, I think there was universal wincing at many of the rrp they were quoting. I'd be interested to know what percentage gets sold at full price and how much when discounted? Equally, at what price do items need to reach before they really start to shift?
^^^This all day long. The game is struggling yet prices are going up. It is not just golf clubs that need to look at costs.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
went in our shop today before my game, we have Boss stuff pretty expensive and no club logo which makes a change and Kjus which is ridiculously expensive

Kjus is designed for the "slimmer" chap. Not for the larger built gentleman like myself.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
2 things:

Firstly, it's all supply and demand. Second, a lot of the stuff is from American companies, and so the exchange rate probably has a part to play.

I do like a funky looking golf shirt. Not that tasteless Loudmouth stuff, but Footjoy have some very cool designs. Annoyingly, they seem fairly difficult to find over here, so I often pick them up or get friends to pick them up when they're in the US.