correct shaft

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello,

I'm asking a question for my son really. He is 14 years old and plays off 5.7 handicap, over the past 6 months he has grown 4/5 inches and become alot stronger. His set of irons are Nike victory red forged cavity back with light steel shafts. He hasn't had his swing speed measured for some time.

I give this information as a few times i have video'd my sons swing side on and when i freeze the swing on the down swing the shaft is bending the wrong way, so the head is actually ahead of his hands.

I want to know if this is possible ? could it be down to having the wrong shaft or is it just the camera giving the impression that the shaft is bending that way. :D

any opinions welcome.

thanks

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
From my limited knowledge this is not unusual for irons. The shaft will have kickpoint that will bend, dependent on where the kickpoint is and how strong the loading is. Using Mizuno Swing DNA terms, there are three items of interest:

Shaft Kick Point: The amount of shaft forward bending during the downswing motion. Will depend on how early/late release factor is and strength of loading.

Shaft Toe Down: A measure of the bowing of the shaft in a downward (vertical, not forward) direction during the downswing.

Release Factor: How and when the clubhead and shaft are releasing during the downswing.

It is possible that your son may load and release early in the downswing to get the forward bend. Certainly worth getting a fit check now that he's stronger!

Cheers :cool:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Chances are, being a 14 year old lad, the camera is causing most of this distortion, drivers can flex forward slightly (check out tiger woods on swingvision) but my money is on the clubs being fine, you dont suddenly outgrow irons to the point they become fishing rods.