Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 15344

Well the daughter thankfully doesn’t seem to be suffering to many symptoms- certainly got plenty of energy ?

Just waiting for when me and the wife will catch it

D

Deleted member 3432

Well the daughter thankfully doesn’t seem to be suffering to many symptoms- certainly got plenty of energy ?

We all got it last week after I tested positive.

Bad head for a couple of days otherwise fine. Only thing was both the wife and I were unable to test out on day 6 and 7.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
How has Coronavirus affected me? I've taken some time to mull this question recently as we approach 2 years of living with this.
How has it affected me...? At the first lockdown, I lost my job. Or more accurately, my contract was not renewed. I spent 2 months with no income and no support due to the nature of the job that I do. I was fortunate that I found a new contract quite quickly. The second lock down saw that contract be ended. Again I found myself if a limbo. But this time I was very fortunate that my contact network found me ok. But it's an incredibly difficult position to be in asking how will I support my family, keep a roof over our heads.

In the space of just over a year, I lost three people very close to me. Not one of them older than I am (43, 40 and 40). My best friend of 38 years died of a brain haemorrhage, sudden and unavoidable, but I couldn't get to say my final goodbyes to someone that had such an impact on my life and could only watch on a computer screen as he was laid to rest with only 8 of his large and tight knit family in attendance.
My childhood friend of 35 years succumbed to a cancer that went untreated in it's most vital stage because treatment was not available in a timely manner. I was lucky enough to be in a small group of 15 people that were allowed to attend the funeral and say goodbye.
A man that is less of a friend and more of a brother from another mother (and co-best man at my wedding) lost his wife to suicide caused by being removed from everything and everyone that she loved, as a very social person lockdown hit hard and the mental impact was too great. A brilliant, warm, funny and compassionate person lost forever. A family of 3 teenagers and a husband stripped of their mother and their wife.

What's the point of this? Well, it's primarily answering the question, how has Coronavirus affected me. Quite strongly it would seem. Financial impact, mental and emotional impact and loss of people who didn't have or die FROM covid.

There's no real point other than that, and just to get my musings of the last day or so out of the head and in to the ether.

This thread has mainly become about should we have done this or should we have done that and whether or not the lockdowns had any impact. Believe me when I say, they might not have for you, and I am genuinely happy for you if they didn't, but be assured that for others, they and the wider effects of Covid certainly did.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How has Coronavirus affected me? I've taken some time to mull this question recently as we approach 2 years of living with this.
How has it affected me...? At the first lockdown, I lost my job. Or more accurately, my contract was not renewed. I spent 2 months with no income and no support due to the nature of the job that I do. I was fortunate that I found a new contract quite quickly. The second lock down saw that contract be ended. Again I found myself if a limbo. But this time I was very fortunate that my contact network found me ok. But it's an incredibly difficult position to be in asking how will I support my family, keep a roof over our heads.

In the space of just over a year, I lost three people very close to me. Not one of them older than I am (43, 40 and 40). My best friend of 38 years died of a brain haemorrhage, sudden and unavoidable, but I couldn't get to say my final goodbyes to someone that had such an impact on my life and could only watch on a computer screen as he was laid to rest with only 8 of his large and tight knit family in attendance.
My childhood friend of 35 years succumbed to a cancer that went untreated in it's most vital stage because treatment was not available in a timely manner. I was lucky enough to be in a small group of 15 people that were allowed to attend the funeral and say goodbye.
A man that is less of a friend and more of a brother from another mother (and co-best man at my wedding) lost his wife to suicide caused by being removed from everything and everyone that she loved, as a very social person lockdown hit hard and the mental impact was too great. A brilliant, warm, funny and compassionate person lost forever. A family of 3 teenagers and a husband stripped of their mother and their wife.

What's the point of this? Well, it's primarily answering the question, how has Coronavirus affected me. Quite strongly it would seem. Financial impact, mental and emotional impact and loss of people who didn't have or die FROM covid.

There's no real point other than that, and just to get my musings of the last day or so out of the head and in to the ether.

This thread has mainly become about should we have done this or should we have done that and whether or not the lockdowns had any impact. Believe me when I say, they might not have for you, and I am genuinely happy for you if they didn't, but be assured that for others, they and the wider effects of Covid certainly did.
A very honest and thought provoking post. Thank you and so sorry to hear of your sad losses. I lost the best friend I ever had last year, he was like a brother and I find it hard to get over him not being around.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Brutally honest post and hope getting it down on here helped in some way. I think if people took the time to do what you did and really analyse what Covid has meant to them, their families and then rippling outwards to their bigger network of work colleagues and friends there won't be many if they are being honest that won't have been affected more than they think. I know from my own experiences of working in ICU throughout has taken a huge personal toll and I may not have seen the full impact yet and won't until we return to whatever "normality" becomes. I think there will be a time when I have to sit down and really see where I am physically, mentally and emotionally

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All the best Greig.

My 9 y/o daughter tested positive on Saturday night. She was miserable through the day but come Sunday she was back to her normal cheery self. The Mrs and I have LFD tested every day and always negative, however, we are both showing mild symptoms and feeling utterly dreadful. PCR tests done this morning and now waiting for the results.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
All the best Greig.

My 9 y/o daughter tested positive on Saturday night. She was miserable through the day but come Sunday she was back to her normal cheery self. The Mrs and I have LFD tested every day and always negative, however, we are both showing mild symptoms and feeling utterly dreadful. PCR tests done this morning and now waiting for the results.

I have a mate whose wife had it. He was the same, felt bad but passed LFTs and a PCR until day 8 of his wife having it then he tested postive on an LFt then a PCR.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a mate whose wife had it. He was the same, felt bad but passed LFTs and a PCR until day 8 of his wife having it then he tested postive on an LFt then a PCR.
Sadly my 8 year old granddaughter tested positive on Monday morning. Two of her best friends at school have also gone down with it. So difficult not being able to help.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A very honest and thought provoking post. Thank you and so sorry to hear of your sad losses. I lost the best friend I ever had last year, he was like a brother and I find it hard to get over him not being around.
Yup. Many have been quite severely impacted - some very severely. My MiL has lost her brother, sister, brother-in-law and two best pals in the last two years and hasn't attended the funeral of any of them. My wife (and I) have had to provide a lot of emotional support - and that has been tough,

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well we’ve had a good run at it having none of our household (knowingly) caught Covid however our daughter tested positive today after being sick last night. Seems like the soft play birthday party she attended on Saturday has been a mini super spreader event! Numerous positive tests in the class including a number who also tested positive in October/November.

So far we’re both testing negative but going to use tomorrow as a day of preparing just in case we do test positive later.

We have my wife’s mum’s 70th birthday weekend the weekend after this. It’s a weekend in a property with her and the sister in laws and their partners. I’m hoping to test positive this time next week so I have to isolate…..

Last edited:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My daughter has been pretty much symptom free. The wife has a pretty heavy cold but with the cough thrown in, but no temperature/body aches etc. I've been testing daily, sometimes twice a day, and have been negative so far despite not feeling 100% for the last couple of days. I'm a bit confused by this, I've really been expecting a positive but nothing so far. Is it possible to be positive but not ill enough to show up on a test? Probably a question for @Ethan ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
My daughter has been pretty much symptom free. The wife has a pretty heavy cold but with the cough thrown in, but no temperature/body aches etc. I've been testing daily, sometimes twice a day, and have been negative so far despite not feeling 100% for the last couple of days. I'm a bit confused by this, I've really been expecting a positive but nothing so far. Is it possible to be positive but not ill enough to show up on a test? Probably a question for @Ethan ?

Unlikely to be truly positive and repeatedly test negative, so long as the test is done properly. Some experts think the nasal swab only is less good at finding Omicron, and a tonsil swab is needed to be sure.

It is possible though that you have an old-fashioned cold. These (and flu) were reduced quite a bit with social distancing etc but are now making a comeback and they seem to be rather feisty.

If you are testing negative more than once, then I would take it at face value, and assume it is not Covid. If it really is Covid, one of you will test positive soon enough. I wouldn't test more than once a day, though, maybe not even that often. Once you have had symptoms for a few days, and have tested negative a couple of times, if those symptoms don't change, unlikely to change to positive.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
My GF has tested herself free today, I am still positive. Junior now positive but he was negative yesterday.

Our working theory was that we caught it Sunday a week ago in a soft play.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unlikely to be truly positive and repeatedly test negative, so long as the test is done properly. Some experts think the nasal swab only is less good at finding Omicron, and a tonsil swab is needed to be sure.

It is possible though that you have an old-fashioned cold. These (and flu) were reduced quite a bit with social distancing etc but are now making a comeback and they seem to be rather feisty.

If you are testing negative more than once, then I would take it at face value, and assume it is not Covid. If it really is Covid, one of you will test positive soon enough. I wouldn't test more than once a day, though, maybe not even that often. Once you have had symptoms for a few days, and have tested negative a couple of times, if those symptoms don't change, unlikely to change to positive.

Thats what I mean, they are both positive, we've been making no effort to avoid each other (well no more than normal!) but I seem to be avoiding it for some strange reason, despite feeling a bit run down. I might try a throat and nose swab tomorrow then to be on the safe side

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thats what I mean, they are both positive, we've been making no effort to avoid each other (well no more than normal!) but I seem to be avoiding it for some strange reason, despite feeling a bit run down. I might try a throat and nose swab tomorrow then to be on the safe side

Maybe a superior immune system, T-cells hardened by years of exposure to pathogenic food and drink, better genetics or dumb luck.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tested positive after a test on Monday. lat flows came back negative so went to work - PCR at work then came back positive.

felt absolutely fine until Tuesday morning and now have the worst sore throat I have ever experienced. Truly awful. Hopefully this is the worst of it, and everything starts to ease.

paracetamol and strepsils to try and take the edge off.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Question, the misses has tested herself free, I probably do it tomorrow as I tested negative today. Junior p can test himself free by next Monday if lucky.
We all keep testing ourselves until junior is free? That would make sense to me, but not sure I read anything about it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Question, the misses has tested herself free, I probably do it tomorrow as I tested negative today. Junior p can test himself free by next Monday if lucky.
We all keep testing ourselves until junior is free? That would make sense to me, but not sure I read anything about it.

One you test positive x 2, days 6 and 7, you are done.