Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 21258

Finally snapped and lost it with the covid denyer who signed up to play golf with me twice this week. Started on the 1st tee Monday with how she was right and it's all about the vaccine passport and government control of the population. I laughed it off with a comment about Bill Gates and chips in arms etc. Yesterday she started it again referring to the brainwashed who've been vaccinated, and I stopped mid practice swing and gave her both barrels. Not so much about her opinion (which is plain crazy but she's entitled to it) rather than how insulting it is to me (brainwashed and stupid!) and that the golf course is not the place for her continued "propoganda" (BS!).

She was very apologetic then, at the half-way hut and after play. I just hope it shuts her up in future.

Out of interest, what did she say that made her a covid denier ? Surely not her thoughts about vaccine passports that you typed above.

At least segregation has always been successful before with regards to covid and in history.... Not a simple area in m eyes, especially with creep that will happen. Maybe that makes me a covid denier as well:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
At a guess this was the paper R2R was referring to ? :-

s1473309921006484-1635425926927.pdf (elsevierhealth.com)

Yes, probably, but that paper plainly says that similarities on transmission occurred in people with breakthrough infections. That is a massively important qualifier.

R2R said in post 21734, "Interesting study in the Lancet that suggests that vaccinated people are just as infectious and able to transmit the disease (especially Delta variant) as the unvaccinated."

This is incorrect.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yes, probably, but that paper plainly says that similarities on transmission occurred in people with breakthrough infections. That is a massively important qualifier.

R2R said in post 21734, "Interesting study in the Lancet that suggests that vaccinated people are just as infectious and able to transmit the disease (especially Delta variant) as the unvaccinated."

This is incorrect.

I’m not disputing that the assertion by road2ruin is incorrect, but in his defence that is pretty much word for word what what I read on the BBC website, thus reinforcing your point about poor media reporting. I’d publish a link but it appears to have been removed…

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, what did she say that made her a covid denier ? Surely not her thoughts about vaccine passports that you typed above.

At least segregation has always been successful before with regards to covid and in history.... Not a simple area in m eyes, especially with creep that will happen. Maybe that makes me a covid denier as well:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That covid has been made up to give the government a means to control the population and know our every move "every shop we go in"...

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Finally snapped and lost it with the covid denyer who signed up to play golf with me twice this week. Started on the 1st tee Monday with how she was right and it's all about the vaccine passport and government control of the population. I laughed it off with a comment about Bill Gates and chips in arms etc. Yesterday she started it again referring to the brainwashed who've been vaccinated, and I stopped mid practice swing and gave her both barrels. Not so much about her opinion (which is plain crazy but she's entitled to it) rather than how insulting it is to me (brainwashed and stupid!) and that the golf course is not the place for her continued "propoganda" (BS!).

She was very apologetic then, at the half-way hut and after play. I just hope it shuts her up in future.
Well done you (y)(y)(y). I won't meet my middle grandson because he's an adamant denyer :cry::cry:

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Heard it myself from seemingly intelligent people, common thing between them, they are all into their conspiracy theories.
I'd love to know why they think the government or Bill Gates would be interested in tracking what we all do all day.

And how many people do they think would be needed to run such an operation. Then all those people would have to keep it a secret!

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd love to know why they think the government or Bill Gates would be interested in tracking what we all do all day.

Ads, big money.

Your phone tracks almost everything anyway, so it's a moot point. Unless these conspiracy theorists are completely off grid, but judging from the amount of rubbish on social media, doubt it!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have a mate who's a golf pro. He puts up stupid memes all time (be it anti this or that) latest was we all sheep to line up for a vaccine that has failed to work twice

I just commented I don't know what's more stupid .. your opinion on the subject or the fact your putting this on your work Facebook putting off potential clients for lessons as they might be worried about covid or worried your stupid will rub off on them

He deleted the status quickly ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really do believe that some people are anti vax just to be contrary. There are people that just like to go against the system, whether trying to prove a political point or just because they like being contrary to the majority, they will buck against anything like this. If you told some people that wearing a mask was contrary to receommendations, they would put them on whereve they go. Sadly with the younger generation, part of me gets the feeling that anti vax is just an expression for their desire to rebel against authority and big brother.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m not disputing that the assertion by road2ruin is incorrect, but in his defence that is pretty much word for word what what I read on the BBC website, thus reinforcing your point about poor media reporting. I’d publish a link but it appears to have been removed…

That is true, there has been some horrible reporting. Sometimes the main body of the media story is not that bad, but the sub-editor has stuck in some headlines or other paragraph titles that are not accurate descriptions of the work. One of the problems is that the way not all scientists write stuff likely to reach the popular media well, and they iinclude some nuance or terms which sound lay but are meant to be more technical are are understood in the trade, but a misinterpretation results.

On this specific one, though, it has popped up here more than once before, and has been rebutted the same number of times.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I really do believe that some people are anti vax just to be contrary. There are people that just like to go against the system, whether trying to prove a political point or just because they like being contrary to the majority, they will buck against anything like this. If you told some people that wearing a mask was contrary to receommendations, they would put them on whereve they go. Sadly with the younger generation, part of me gets the feeling that anti vax is just an expression for their desire to rebel against authority and big brother.

During Xmas me and Missis T decided we would not be Visiting our parents. Even thought Boris said we could. Suffice to say we caught COVID off my lad who caught it in either Wales, Essex or Kent. He is a class one lorry driver. If we had gone to either parents. I am convinced we could of wiped out our parents. My lad was devastated he passed it on.
Now his thoughts are it has gone on long enough and we should now be living normal lives. Suffice to say I am livid and that’s keeping it nice. The young generation quite frankly do not give two hoots.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The young generation quite frankly do not give two hoots.

Sorry but that’s garbage, it’s not a generational thing it’s a personal thing. Walking around the golf club there are loads of old chaps sitting close to one another, shaking hands, hugging good bye no distancing going home to their (assumed) similar aged wives. They’re certainly not young. Supermarkets as well, young and old in equal measure without masks.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now his thoughts are it has gone on long enough and we should now be living normal lives. Suffice to say I am livid and that’s keeping it nice. The young generation quite frankly do not give two hoots.

Don't judge my lad by your lad's standards.
My boy is still both very aware and very wary .................. and he will be for quite a while yet.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry but that’s garbage, it’s not a generational thing it’s a personal thing. Walking around the golf club there are loads of old chaps sitting close to one another, shaking hands, hugging good bye no distancing going home to their (assumed) similar aged wives. They’re certainly not young. Supermarkets as well, young and old in equal measure without masks.

There is a difference between the old boys and the young kids though, the old boys are all probably 3 x vaxxed and the kids no vax at all. And as 1 in 5 12-15 year olds have only had one vax, it's no surprise cases are still high.
In my experience, the schoolkids in our local Tesco act as if Covid has gone.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In my experience, the schoolkids in our local Tesco act as if Covid has gone.

Can you blame them though? They spend all day with their cohort in school with little social distancing so it’s difficult to suddenly change their behaviour outside of that setting.

My experience is that there are people in all age ranges who have decided that Covid has gone and are just getting on. I’m just back from the folks who live in Bognor Regis, obviously an older demographic down there and the supermarkets/shops are full of unmasked wrinklies going about their business.