Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had to say to my colleague today that I was walking away from this convo before I said something she wouldn't like. She was saying why are people rushing to get a 3rd jab that hasn't worked twice before and how that it doesn't stop covid blah blah

I found it shut the convo down sooner leaving rather than explaining as she hasn't listened throughout the Pandemic to any evidence .. convo moved on to a much less bloody boiling subject within 5 mins later

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Just home from Aldi and it feels like Covid never happened. Very little mask wearing, no attempt to social distance and the hand sanitizers gathering dust...wanted to shout "IT'S NOT OVER NUMPTIES" :mad: Instead I wore my mask, sanitized on entry and exit and danced around numpties getting too close!

Got a Sainsbury's delivery pass last year and just about to renew it; one of life's little "pleasures" that we haven't missed and won't miss.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got a Sainsbury's delivery pass last year and just about to renew it; one of life's little "pleasures" that we haven't missed and won't miss.

I used to do the same when I worked but then figured I didn't really have an excuse not to go myself when I had more time. Not sure why as it's not about the cost (which is minimal and fair) and I hate shopping and hate the great unwashed I see up and down the aisles! So perhaps I have to go to Waitrose or go online again!!

Having said that - the price difference between Tesco, who I used to use, and Lidl/Aldi is pretty compelling with no loss in quality that I can ascertain.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I used to do the same when I worked but then figured I didn't really have an excuse not to go myself when I had more time. Not sure why as it's not about the cost (which is minimal and fair) and I hate shopping and hate the great unwashed I see up and down the aisles! So perhaps I have to go to Waitrose or go online again!!

Having said that - the price difference between Tesco, who I used to use, and Lidl/Aldi is pretty compelling with no loss in quality that I can ascertain.

They're no better behaved in Waitrose down this way. :(

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely think it's time to move the focus away from case numbers and onto hospitalisations and deaths. Russia recently reported 40096 new cases (so around 10000 less than us) but reported 1159 deaths which is more than the UK has had in the last week. Don't know whether this is due to the Sputnik vaccine not being as effective as reported or more likely low uptake rate for vaccines with only a little over 30% of their population fully vaccinated.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting study in the Lancet that suggests that vaccinated people are just as infectious and able to transmit the disease (especially Delta variant) as the unvaccinated. The big take away is that being vaccinated still gives excellent protection against serious illness and, in worst case, hospitalisation so getting the jab is important for your own personal health. Does also suggest that this push for vaccine passports is a complete waste of time given the people that are at risk are the unvaccinated rather than being more transmissible etc.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We're getting our flu and Covid booster jabs tonight Thursday, we've have been invited to a pals 70th birthday on Saturday, in the golf club that can seat up to 100.
He's only invited 60 friends mostly older people and hopefully all double jabbed.
My wife's not going, should I go along with 1 of my regular golfing pals, and stay in our own bubble as
we already meet up 2/3 times a week anyway.
Thoughts please.
Update- turned out to be a great night, it was a 007 theme party. There was only a couple of kids there, and they kept well away, I'll post the pics/reason shortly
Thankfully only 30 turned up so there was plenty of spacing.
Karaoke guy cleaned the Mic and put a new cover on it after every masked singer :D.
Tonight I did a Covid-19 self test and yippee ALL CLEAR so far.:love:
1 my mate Jaws aka Roger, kept the kids away lol
2 me , I look the same without the mask lol
3 George my old pal the 70th birthday boy.

Attachments

• IMG-20211024-WA0012jaws.jpg
    IMG-20211024-WA0012jaws.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20211024-WA0013Pierce.jpg
    IMG-20211024-WA0013Pierce.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20211024-WA0007birthday boy.jpg
    IMG-20211024-WA0007birthday boy.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

4LEX

Visit site
Wife is currently ill in hospital and was telling me today patients are having Covid tests every 3 days, which she is pleased about, but yesterday she was taken for an MRI and an X-Ray by 2 different porters, one of the porters was telling her how he thinks the Covid jab doesn’t work as he knows a nurse who’s had all 3 jabs and is now seriously ill with Covid!!

Frightened the life out of her, she told the nurse looking after her when she got back and the nurse is dealing with it.

Gobsmacked that he would be saying such things while working in a hospital.

The porter in question probably has less braincells than qualifications, hence why he's pushing people around in a hospital on near minimum wage. I doubt he's telling the truth and if he is, then without relevent case details you can't make an informed judgement. Some people with health conditions and high obesity levels can still get very ill after contracting Covid, even with the jabs. The difference is if this is true, the nurse will likely live, instead of being carried out in a box.

The porter should be in big trouble for giving his ignorant and unqualified opinion to a patient.

Hope your wife is on the mend (y)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting study in the Lancet that suggests that vaccinated people are just as infectious and able to transmit the disease (especially Delta variant) as the unvaccinated. The big take away is that being vaccinated still gives excellent protection against serious illness and, in worst case, hospitalisation so getting the jab is important for your own personal health. Does also suggest that this push for vaccine passports is a complete waste of time given the people that are at risk are the unvaccinated rather than being more transmissible etc.

Do you have a link to that report please?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Can you link to the paper in question. I suspect it dies not say what you think it does.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Can you link to the paper in question. I suspect it dies not say what you think it does.
Either that or it was an older report.

Updated 11 Oct...
''If you have been vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine, you are less likely to catch COVID-19, and to become severely ill if you do catch it. You are also less likely to spread COVID-19 to other people, but it is still possible for this to happen.''

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

23 Oct...
''People who are fully vaccinated against covid-19 are far less likely to infect others, despite the arrival of the delta variant, several studies show. The findings refute the idea, which has become common in some circles, that vaccines no longer do much to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.''

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...d-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/#ixzz7AfDi8I5G

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Finally snapped and lost it with the covid denyer who signed up to play golf with me twice this week. Started on the 1st tee Monday with how she was right and it's all about the vaccine passport and government control of the population. I laughed it off with a comment about Bill Gates and chips in arms etc. Yesterday she started it again referring to the brainwashed who've been vaccinated, and I stopped mid practice swing and gave her both barrels. Not so much about her opinion (which is plain crazy but she's entitled to it) rather than how insulting it is to me (brainwashed and stupid!) and that the golf course is not the place for her continued "propoganda" (BS!).

She was very apologetic then, at the half-way hut and after play. I just hope it shuts her up in future.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Either that or it was an older report.

Updated 11 Oct...
''If you have been vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine, you are less likely to catch COVID-19, and to become severely ill if you do catch it. You are also less likely to spread COVID-19 to other people, but it is still possible for this to happen.''

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

23 Oct...
''People who are fully vaccinated against covid-19 are far less likely to infect others, despite the arrival of the delta variant, several studies show. The findings refute the idea, which has become common in some circles, that vaccines no longer do much to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.''

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...d-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/#ixzz7AfDi8I5G

There was a paper that showed that in people who were vaccinated and caught Covid, the risk of transmission was roughly similar to those who were unvaccinated and caught Covid.

I have previously explained here that this is absolutely not what r2r just suggested it was. It does not mean that vaccination has no effect on transmissibility, and the authors of the paper make this clear. This paper was widely reported badly in the lay media. The critical factor is that people who were vaccinated were very much less likely to get Covid. The vast majority therefore transmitted nothing at all. The paper was actually more nuanced than generally reported and strongly encouraged vaccination.

Vaccination reduces transmissibility. That is a fact, not a matter of opinion. If you are unlucky enough to get Covid despite being vaccinated, it will likely be less severe, but you can still transmit it.

Last edited: