Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 21258

A family member working in the NHS reckons that 90% of those in hospital are unvaccinated. More concerningly, a number of those are refusing treatment because they don't believe Covid exists or don't trust the treatments.

That is highly unusual level. Given the vey high level of vaccinations rates generally, the 90% of unvaccinated is not what you would expect for a complete hospital. Clearly depends on hospital by hospital basis.

Just for info, From PHE surveillance report for week 38-41 for people presenting for emergency care(within 28 days of +ve), they show, ignoring unlinked/part vaxxed/lag. So you would expect to see from the england data :-

Unvaccinated patients 2534 (36%)
Vaccinated patients 4486 (64%)

Quickly adding a bit of context(so it doesnt appear I am coming across as anti vaccine:p), you would expect more vaxxed patients due to 90%+ vaccine coverage in the older groups and age being by far the highest risk factor whatever your status (along with how fat you are being a variable that you can change 'easily', get to normal weight everyone(y)).

Looking at cases that leads to a hospitalisation the rates are (for the 60-80+ age range):-

Vaxxed is 1 in every 23 people hospitalised with a +ve test (ie. 3276 hospitalised out of 75393 cases)
Unvaxxed is 1 in every 5.4 people hospitalised with a +ve test (ie. 540 hospitalised out of 2912 cases )

No surprise vaccines work (y)(y), but still the 1 in figures are pretty scary in my eyes :eek:......(age is the bad thing here, along with other underlying conditions such as being overweight or immune problems etc)

If you doubt my figures, the data is on the link below :-

COVID-19 vaccine surveillance report - week 42 (publishing.service.gov.uk)

D

Deleted member 21258

But there is less chance of you passing it on than an unvaxxed person.

Do you appreciate that you could vax 100% of the population and it would still not stop the spread, with the current vaccine effectiveness ?

The third dose studies, look super promising, alot more promising than the 2 dose ones at the same stage, so who knows what will happen in the future. Fingers crossed. Lets get those boosters in older peoples arms now they have been authorised.

We can save many more lives by directing our efforts and money, rather than arguing with someone over twitter who is probably already Vaxxed like DannyC or me [or most on this forum, as the typical person on this forum would be] or in a different country or a bot. I have never posted on twitter and dont take much notice of the super extreme tweets.

A picture I saw on twitter:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :-

E5I4rCaXoAULonB.jpg

D

Deleted member 21258

Counter guesswork; The urban high density cities suffered much worse with it in the first 2 waves and thus there is far higher immunity to it this time round compared to people in villages who found it far easier to stay isolated before but have not bothered as much this time round

That or its just a viral illness that comes and goes in different areas which would explain the vast difference in success between different areas/countries etc with different rules and restrictions at different times contrary to what at times would be expected

I would guess the first one more.

I play golf in four different similarish rural areas and during the first lots of waves we were all in the same tiers due to cases numbers not surprisingly being fairly similar. These areas are still fairly similar and at some stage the rural areas have to catch up to transition to endemicity ....Thankfully vaccines will soften the nasty journey

EDIT I also agree point 2 as well, comes into play somewhere in the country to country comparisons.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21258

Sadly the current Covid vaccines are currently nothing like as effective/long term as the polio or say the measles vaccines.

Polio vaccine is IIRC when I read about it I think it was 99-100% effective and provides a lifetime protection (think its 3 dose vaccine).

Measles vaccine similar.(I made a post about the measles one before, basically it doesn't mutate in the important areas and the antibodies last 'a lifetime' due to very low half lifes/dropping levels)

The study I posted the other day over the covid 3 dose setup, showed antibody levels increasing at 28 days and at much higher rates. For context the 2 dose saw levels dropping by then and much lower levels to start with. So maybe 3 dose will provide longer protection from infection, certainly appears to start with(from israeli data).

Depending on who you read and wish to believe, some experts say we will not get a vaccine for covid that has lifetime protection from infection, infection is hard to stop (severe disease protection much more likely and its likely to get better and better over time, as vaccines and treatments involve).

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting article which is reflected in recent days by some of the better respected modellers on Twitter.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59039739
Always good to have some light at the end of the tunnel.

This does look positive, hopefully correct.

Surprised we don't have Neil Ferguson popping up with another of his models suggesting 1.2m new cases a day or something.....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The way the figures are reported, cases and deaths more often seem lowest on Mondays and jump back up on Tuesdays.
Some like to compare this Tuesdays with last Tuesdays and the Tuesday before and so on.
I prefer to compare Mondays figures, every cloud etc.
Each to their own

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The way the figures are reported, cases and deaths more often seem lowest on Mondays and jump back up on Tuesdays.
Some like to compare this Tuesdays with last Tuesdays and the Tuesday before and so on.
I prefer to compare Mondays figures, every cloud etc.
Each to their own

The figures I saw recently were comparing previous Monday's as a lot on Twitter immediately jumped on the fact that there is always the traditional drop on a Monday however if you compared the previous week they were down. Hopefully at least a few who are more positive about where cases might head so fingers crossed.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So how is it we haven't a a single case of Polio for over 30 years?
Not quite! There have been cases of Polio in UK but none (of the 40-ish) were deemed to be caused by UK 'wild' infections.
The Polio Virus is quite different to Coronavirus. for a number of reasons. Coronavirus is more like Flu viruses, though that's something of an over-simplification. It does attack similar parts of the body, is spread in a similar way (so Winter peaking cf Polio's Summer peaking) and seems to mutate fairly rapidly too.
I suspect (somewhat fearfully) that, also like Flu, there'll be an ongoing (yearly?) need for vaccination - at least for vulnerable folk - as new variants appear!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not quite! There have been cases of Polio in UK but none (of the 40-ish) were deemed to be caused by UK 'wild' infections.

I was talking about naturally-occurring polio and the last case was 1984 which is over 30 years ago.
So why don't you take you pendency elsewhere and stalk someone else.
Sick and tired of it.
Back on ignore you go.

D

Deleted member 16999

Wife is currently ill in hospital and was telling me today patients are having Covid tests every 3 days, which she is pleased about, but yesterday she was taken for an MRI and an X-Ray by 2 different porters, one of the porters was telling her how he thinks the Covid jab doesn’t work as he knows a nurse who’s had all 3 jabs and is now seriously ill with Covid!!

Frightened the life out of her, she told the nurse looking after her when she got back and the nurse is dealing with it.

Gobsmacked that he would be saying such things while working in a hospital.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wife is currently ill in hospital and was telling me today patients are having Covid tests every 3 days, which she is pleased about, but yesterday she was taken for an MRI and an X-Ray by 2 different porters, one of the porters was telling her how he thinks the Covid jab doesn’t work as he knows a nurse who’s had all 3 jabs and is now seriously ill with Covid!!

Frightened the life out of her, she told the nurse looking after her when she got back and the nurse is dealing with it.

They're everywhere, a relative warned me not to wear a mask as I could get CO2 poisoning.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just home from Aldi and it feels like Covid never happened. Very little mask wearing, no attempt to social distance and the hand sanitizers gathering dust...wanted to shout "IT'S NOT OVER NUMPTIES" :mad: Instead I wore my mask, sanitized on entry and exit and danced around numpties getting too close!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Basic public health measures as faeco-oral main route of transmission.
My understanding was that polio was worse after basic Hygiene improved.
Very young infants were basically not ill with polio it was generally older children who got the complications and it became a problem when they were no longer infected as infants die to improved public sanitation but got it later as school kids because it is so difficult trying to control faeco oral transmission amongst school kids.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Hope the missus is ok mate ?