Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We're getting our flu and Covid booster jabs tonight Thursday, we've have been invited to a pals 70th birthday on Saturday, in the golf club that can seat up to 100.
He's only invited 60 friends mostly older people and hopefully all double jabbed.
My wife's not going, should I go along with 1 of my regular golfing pals, and stay in our own bubble as
we already meet up 2/3 times a week anyway.
Thoughts please.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
We're getting our flu and Covid booster jabs tonight Thursday, we've have been invited to a pals 70th birthday on Saturday, in the golf club that can seat up to 100.
He's only invited 60 friends mostly older people and hopefully all double jabbed.
My wife's not going, should I go along with 1 of my regular golfing pals, and stay in our own bubble as
Thoughts please.

Part of my decision would depend on why my wife was not going. If she was nervous about going somewhere because of covid, out of respect for that, I would not go as my going imparts almost as much risk on her as her going along as well. If she just did not want to go to the event, i would probably go.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Part of my decision would depend on why my wife was not going. If she was nervous about going somewhere because of covid, out of respect for that, I would not go as my going imparts almost as much risk on her as her going along as well. If she just did not want to go to the event, i would probably go.
The wife doesn't like parties but will go for lunch in a crowded restaurant, she says I can go as long as I'm careful.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking at the data.

Cases are predominantly those schoolkids under 20.
Hospitalisations are almost exclusively those over 65.

What would a plan B include? Stopping schooling again, till those have had chance to get vacced? Decrease of freedoms for over 65's until they have their booster? Vaccine passports seem inevitable, but that doesn't seem like it would solve the real issues. cases and hospitalisations in under 55's (minus kids) seems pretty flat.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Looking at the data.

Cases are predominantly those schoolkids under 20.
Hospitalisations are almost exclusively those over 65.

What would a plan B include? Stopping schooling again, till those have had chance to get vacced? Decrease of freedoms for over 65's until they have their booster? Vaccine passports seem inevitable, but that doesn't seem like it would solve the real issues. cases and hospitalisations in under 55's (minus kids) seems pretty flat.

I think we've reached the point where all they can do is try and lower the age of those who can be vaccinated and see how many parents would be willing to get their child jabbed, I think other countries are looking at 5 years+. It seems apparently that the 6,000,000 or so un-jabbed in the UK aren't going to get jabbed or at least not in enough numbers to make much of a difference so how much further can we go. Schools cannot be closed again as that's far more damaging especially now those in the older age groups and the vulnerable have been jabbed and now being offered the boosters. I think all they can do is put the mask mandate in public places back in place and ask people to WFH where possible but there won't be further lockdowns otherwise what you're saying is that every November or so we're all going to be locked away for a few months.

D

Deleted member 21258

How about doing plan A and speeding up the booster program, like now. We are lagging alot behind the first roll out, data shows, we need to speed this up.

From the Israeli data(that are clearly months ahead of us), that will keep the old people out of hospital, better than any thing else. Vaccines and infections, are what are the end game, hopefully the treatments will get better as well.

Personally, I am fed up of seeing 65+ year olds thinking it is 2019 again just because they have been jabbed, when from the most recent data, if a vaccinated 80 year old gets break though covid, they still have a 1 in 8ish chance of dying(better than about the 1 in 3ish before vaccines tho). :(

The harms we are doing to the young is immense they need to be in schools for so many reasons. The young are out future and we should protect the most....

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
How about doing plan A and speeding up the booster program, like now. We are lagging alot behind the first roll out, data shows, we need to speed this up.

From the Israeli data(that are clearly months ahead of us), that will keep the old people out of hospital, better than any thing else. Vaccines and infections, are what are the end game, hopefully the treatments will get better as well.

Personally, I am fed up of seeing 65+ year olds thinking it is 2019 again just because they have been jabbed, when from the most recent data, if a vaccinated 80 year old gets break though covid, they still have a 1 in 8ish chance of dying(better than about the 1 in 3ish before vaccines tho). :(

The harms we are doing to the young is immense they need to be in schools for so many reasons. The young are out future and we should protect the most....

There is a reasonable point in here in my opinion. Certainly (and this is only down to my experience) the older people I know and the more at risk were the worst at mask wearing when compulsory (I could have taught my cat how to wear a mask over its nose by now and he is not even a clever cat). They were also the first to ditch mask wearing in shops etc where I go but also the first to blame kids, teenagers and everyone else when there is talk of restrictions being increased. There is not much the kids can do about the spread through schools, they have to be there, but there is plenty the other generations can do to limit the impact of that.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
For whatever reason folks aren't coming forward to get their booster jab.
The clinic my wife vaxs at has 500 slots a day and yesterday only 25 had been booked ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The clinic my wife vaxs at has 500 slots a day and yesterday only 25 had been booked ?

Wish they would open up the opportunity further. I would be down my nearest site in a heartbeat to get my jab.

Is there any diffence in the booking system this time in that it appears that the first to get their jabs were being told to attend an appointment. Are they having to arrange it themselves now. Are they waiting for a call, text or letter.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thoughts please.
You can go Billy, but don’t mention here if you arrive with your buddy; see others crowded together, and feel a bit uncomfortable…even though I guess everyone in attendance should be wearing a mask, but you stay ? And even if you keep apart with your buddy the big question is…will you leave if mask wearing is not universal in the party or other behaviours make you feel uncomfortable.

But seriously…in my experience in a completely different context, I can go to a party with my wife but if I feel uncomfortable I’ll tell her, she will ask if I want to leave, and if I do we will leave…and you know what…when I have done that nobody has subsequently said they spotted we’d left and asked why. Not once…maybe they were glad to see me disappear, that is if they’d even spotted we’d turned up ??

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wish they would open up the opportunity further. I would be down my nearest site in a heartbeat to get my jab.

Is there any diffence in the booking system this time in that it appears that the first to get their jabs were being told to attend an appointment. Are they having to arrange it themselves now. Are they waiting for a call, text or letter.
Absolutely, me too although I've another 5 weeks to wait for my booster , no idea re booking , they're doing booster and flu

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Absolutely, me too although I've another 5 weeks to wait for my booster , no idea re booking , they're doing booster and flu
I saw on sky before I came to the hospital that the government were making an announcement re the booster vaccinations later today. Don’t know what that is though.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Tried booking a slot for my dad to get his booster and it says he has to wait for the doctors surgery to contact him, even though it's been over 6 months since he had his second jab. Somewhere the system isn't working properly, with some of those eligible for the booster not getting the invite.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could have taught my cat how to wear a mask over its nose by now and he is not even a clever cat
I can't tell you how much this has made me chuckle. So true and I now have an image of your cat wearing a mask perfectly looking down in disgust on a person with one below their nose :ROFLMAO:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think the two focus areas should be:

Unvaccinated: schoolkids, refuseniks etc

Boosters: Over 65s and clinically vulnerable.

Both need to move pronto. Covid passports or similar would help drive efforts. I see no reason to close schools or have meaningful numbers of pupils off school.

D

Deleted member 21258

Hope the real life data keeps up with these kind of reports(showing various boosters and different types of vaccines some have), been a few now :-

Ash Otter on Twitter: "Nice to see some neutralisation data on 3rd Pfizer (booster) dose. Neutralisation to WT, Beta and Delta all similar, no huge drops against Delta. Hopefully, this is sustained! https://t.co/sp4zlQoDvm https://t.co/E6JDdkqkw2" / Twitter

Massive increases from dose 2 stuff. Shame we don't really understand how it fully links in to protection levels , but nice high numbers. And who doesn't want some extra superhuman boosted powers, get to Upsidedowns cllinic, roll up roll up:ROFLMAO: