Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hope the real life data keeps up with these kind of reports(showing various boosters and different types of vaccines some have), been a few now :-

Ash Otter on Twitter: "Nice to see some neutralisation data on 3rd Pfizer (booster) dose. Neutralisation to WT, Beta and Delta all similar, no huge drops against Delta. Hopefully, this is sustained! https://t.co/sp4zlQoDvm https://t.co/E6JDdkqkw2" / Twitter

Massive increases from dose 2 stuff. Shame we don't really understand how it fully links in to protection levels , but nice high numbers. And who doesn't want some extra superhuman boosted powers, get to Upsidedowns cllinic, roll up roll up:ROFLMAO:

It shows clearly, although unsurprisingly, that antibody levels bounce back after booster, but as you say, it may not be necessary for strong immunity.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can go Billy, but don’t mention here if you arrive with your buddy; see others crowded together, and feel a bit uncomfortable…even though I guess everyone in attendance should be wearing a mask, but you stay ? And even if you keep apart with your buddy the big question is…will you leave if mask wearing is not universal in the party or other behaviours make you feel uncomfortable.

But seriously…in my experience in a completely different context, I can go to a party with my wife but if I feel uncomfortable I’ll tell her, she will ask if I want to leave, and if I do we will leave…and you know what…when I have done that nobody has subsequently said they spotted we’d left and asked why. Not once…maybe they were glad to see me disappear, that is if they’d even spotted we’d turned up ??
Latest party news, there's been 30 cancellations so far :eek:, so they'll be plenty of space. Me and my mate have reserved a table for 2 in a secluded corner. :ROFLMAO:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tried booking a slot for my dad to get his booster and it says he has to wait for the doctors surgery to contact him, even though it's been over 6 months since he had his second jab. Somewhere the system isn't working properly, with some of those eligible for the booster not getting the invite.

Have you tried booking using this link https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...ter-dose-of-the-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine/

Also, see if there are "pop up " sites nearby as you can just turn up at those.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It’s not going to harm people by bringing in some levels of restrictions- social distancing again , face masks , work from home etc

Got no problems with masks or the WFH however what would you mean by a reintroduction of social distancing? Reason I ask is that if it were brought back in and therefore require public premises to start limited numbers it'd be the end for many of those working in hospitality for example, they just cannot function if the 1m+ rule etc is brought back in. Personally I don't think it would be brought in for that exact reason and the issues it'd cause however I've still seen many calling for it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Got no problems with masks or the WFH however what would you mean by a reintroduction of social distancing? Reason I ask is that if it were brought back in and therefore require public premises to start limited numbers it'd be the end for many of those working in hospitality for example, they just cannot function if the 1m+ rule etc is brought back in. Personally I don't think it would be brought in for that exact reason and the issues it'd cause however I've still seen many calling for it.

Doesn’t have to be in all areas - for example- went to fill up the car , they used to have a one in at system and 6 in the garage at time , go back to that , plus one way systems , pre bookings etc

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58999796

Cases over 50k now

Highest it’s been for a while I suspect it’s going to keep going up

Heard we have the highest infection rates at the moment

It’s not going to harm people by bringing in some levels of restrictions- social distancing again , face masks , work from home etc

Why bother? I went to the game last night, used the tube where wearing a mask is a condition of travel. At a rough count 80% of passengers weren't wearing them. There's no point in introducing restrictions if they aren't going to be enforced.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why bother? I went to the game last night, used the tube where wearing a mask is a condition of travel. At a rough count 80% of passengers weren't wearing them. There's no point in introducing restrictions if they aren't going to be enforced.
Public pressure would enforce?…and wasn’t one of the reasons for delaying the first lockdown that the politicians and experts were doubtful that the UK public would put up with it for more than a few weeks…and look what happened.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Public pressure would enforce?…and wasn’t one of the reasons for delaying the first lockdown that the politicians and experts were doubtful that the UK public would put up with it for more than a few weeks…and look what happened.

Clearly not when the tube is emblazoned with stickers telling you it's compulsory and the vast majority stick two fingers up to it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got really narked at the number of non mask wearers in Aldi today. Add to that the ones who thought it ok to cough all over the flipping place and keep toing back and forth along the aisles so avoiding them was difficult. I know the mask is to protect others but I also feel a sense of it protecting me a bit at least...

Where is the social conscience? Why do we need the government to make it law for us to do what is surely the right thing...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Did not sleep well last night and have spent all day in bed - well other than the two times I visited the great white telephone…aching, headache, nauseous…the same symptoms as my Mrs who’s PCR test has come back negative. o sniffles so not sure if cold or flu.

But whatever, I’m not usually clobbered by such things as I was today, so perhaps indicative of a loss of immunity due to lockdowns and other social distancing measures. Suggests if a bad flu hits the country it could be grim for hospitals.

Anyway - got my flu jag early next week. I never usually bother but this year I will.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did not sleep well last night and have spent all day in bed - well other than the two times I visited the great white telephone…aching, headache, nauseous…the same symptoms as my Mrs who’s PCR test has come back negative. o sniffles so not sure if cold or flu.

But whatever, I’m not usually clobbered by such things as I was today, so perhaps indicative of a loss of immunity due to lockdowns and other social distancing measures. Suggests if a bad flu hits the country it could be grim for hospitals.

Anyway - got my flu jag early next week. I never usually bother but this year I will.

hope you get better soon but based on a sample size of 1, that may or may not be flu, you summize that the bad flu could be grim for hospitals. Sensationalist bs much?

www.hiltonpark.net
Reinfection rates will grow, but immune responses will improve and the reinfections will, hopefully, eventually become like another version of the common cold. That has happened, to some extent, with flu. We have built up a complicated multi-deimensional immunity to that, and usually (unless there is a new "bad" variant) only those people whose immunity is weak or doesn't last are really at risk.
This for me is the end game. How far along this path we have to get before we can't look at 'just living with it' I'm unsure of. It will certainly be accelerated with development of complex new boosters etc.

We've given ourselves a great base with the vaccines but that's all we have so far.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I've found that with the two colds I've had in the last six weeks. First one brought home by younger son, second one by older son but been hit harder than I can ever remember being previously. Negative LFT and PCR tests both times. I guess it's just because my immune system has been so sheltered for the past 18 months with lockdown, masks and social distancing that it takes a while for it to get back up to speed.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Suggests if a bad flu hits the country it could be grim for hospitals.

Especially if they are already full of anti-vaxxers.

We've given ourselves a great base with the vaccines but that's all we have so far.

And what a monumental achievement that was.

I've always said doctors and nurses do a brilliant job and will save 1,000s of lives but it's the scientists, volunteers and the vaccine that will save millions. It's just a shame a small portion of society have decided to ignore Science and instead follow the experts on Facebook and are refusing the life saving, readily available, free, approved and safe vaccine. ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Especially if they are already full of anti-vaxxers.

And what a monumental achievement that was.

I've always said doctors and nurses do a brilliant job and will save 1,000s of lives but it's the scientists, volunteers and the vaccine that will save millions. It's just a shame a small portion of society have decided to ignore Science and instead follow the experts on Facebook and are refusing the life saving, readily available, free, approved and safe vaccine. ?

The basic levels of pandemic control are usually, in order of decreasing effectiveness:

1. Simple public health measures - in this case masks, social distancing, hand-washing, working from home etc
2. Specific preventive interventions - vaccinations
3. Remedial treatments - antivirals, horse dewormers, whatever
4. Crossing your fingers and hoping it all works out

The current strategy has essentially abandoned number 1. The UK has done a good, but not as good as it could have done, job on 2 - the NHS has responded great, but as I said before, there has been an over reliance on AZ, and that has now necessitated a wider booster strategy than in countries which used mRNAs. AZ has been quietly forgotten. Number 3 is the main headline of the recently announced strategy. This is crazy, in my view, and fraught with problems. As a result, we are also relying on number 4 rather more than we should.

I agree that scientists have done a great job. The teams at Oxford and BioNTech, in particular, have made a huge difference, although the latter have received little credit in the UK. I will be at a conference with one of the BioNTech founders in a couple of weeks. The volunteers have been great too, and that has included a lot of time given by current and retired doctors in the vaccination effort.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I saw a documentary about how the vaccine was developed so quickly and how many of the staff worked massive hours for months on end to save as many lives as possible. Then to have some people say ''Nah, don't want it/it's not safe/it's untested/it's too quick etc must be so frustrating.
Panorama, the race for the Vaccine is still on BBC i PLAYER

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s also worth remembering there will be plenty of people with valid concerns about the vaccine and it’s affects

Whilst it’s a small amount there are people who have had adverse reactions to the vaccine and there is no guarantee it’s 100% safe

I know there are pregnant ladies , ladies looking to get pregnant etc who haven’t had the vaccine because of the unknown effects it could have on unborn babies or fertility.