Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

D

Deleted member 21258

I would say that CP has a very conventional public health narrative, as has iSAGE. Who else would you recommend?

Tend to read loads of different ones, some disagreeing with the narrative, as I like to try to look at things from many sides and get different outlooks to challenge myself with. I'm a fairly neutral/central person, so look from right, left, Poor, rich, old, young, labs, scientists, mental health and so on. Love all the science/data learning, wish I had continued it from A levels, missed science based learning, instead studied flipping boring computers at degree and then more boring studying for my job for another 3 years.:rolleyes:

Good general ones on covid science and data for covid (that I would generally recommend are, which generally aren't to technical, some verified, some not) :-

Eric Topol (@EricTopol) / Twitter
Prof Francois Balloux (@BallouxFrancois) / Twitter
Trevor Bedford (@trvrb) / Twitter
Muge Cevik (@mugecevik) / Twitter
Meaghan Kill ???☠️ (@kallmemeg) / Twitter
Stefan Baral (@sdbaral) / Twitter
Andrew L. Croxford (@andrew_croxford) / Twitter
Thomas House (@TAH_Sci) / Twitter
James Ward (@JamesWard73) / Twitter
Florian Krammer (@florian_krammer) / Twitter
Bloom Lab (@jbloom_lab) / Twitter

Read alot of others, some not very active, some the odd times and quite a number of the labs based ones(like bloom above), but probably they are not for most people, as a bit technical and boring for people to read, thats what my wife says.:ROFLMAO:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tend to read loads of different ones, some disagreeing with the narrative, as I like to try to look at things from many sides and get different outlooks to challenge myself with. I'm a fairly neutral/central person, so look from right, left, Poor, rich, old, young, labs, scientists, mental health and so on. Love all the science/data learning, wish I had continued it from A levels, missed science based learning, instead studied flipping boring computers at degree and then more boring studying for my job for another 3 years.:rolleyes:

Good general ones on covid science and data for covid (that I would generally recommend are, which generally aren't to technical, some verified, some not) :-

Eric Topol (@EricTopol) / Twitter
Prof Francois Balloux (@BallouxFrancois) / Twitter
Trevor Bedford (@trvrb) / Twitter
Muge Cevik (@mugecevik) / Twitter
Meaghan Kill ???☠️ (@kallmemeg) / Twitter
Stefan Baral (@sdbaral) / Twitter
Andrew L. Croxford (@andrew_croxford) / Twitter
Thomas House (@TAH_Sci) / Twitter
James Ward (@JamesWard73) / Twitter
Florian Krammer (@florian_krammer) / Twitter
Bloom Lab (@jbloom_lab) / Twitter

Read alot of others, some not very active, some the odd times and quite a number of the labs based ones(like bloom above), but probably they are not for most people, as a bit technical and boring for people to read, thats what my wife says.:ROFLMAO:

Some good people there. Of those, not sure about Balloux. Sometimes he does talk something which sounds a bit like his name, especially as he gets further away from his core field of genetics.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
The endgame should have been strong, swift and effective control and a robust public health response to minimise downtime and casualties.

A half-arsed lockdown doesn't work very well, a proper one works brilliantly, see New Zealand or Oz. A half-arsed one also only prolongs the economic effects. All those MPs and business figure like Tim Spoons whining about the economy have done more damage to it than was necessary.

New Zealand admits it can no longer get rid of coronavirus

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
You really think the testing rate is massively higher here than on the continent?

Here are another couple of worrying stats, courtesy of Sky News this morning. No doubt these are equally meaningless in your view -

The UK now has one of the highest weekly rates of new reported cases in the world, and vaccination rates have fallen behind other European countries.

Data shows that approximately 67% of the population has received two doses of a COVID-19 jab, compared with 75% in Denmark, 79% in Spain and 86% in Portugal.

While the weekly rate of new reported cases stands at 24 per 100,000 people in Spain and 48 per 100,000 people in France, this figure currently stands at 463 per 100,000 people in the UK.

That may be. But why? As far as I'm aware the second jab has been available for all over 18 for some while now. Adverts etc have urged people to take it up. If a certain number in the populace refuse it, then the percentage figure of jabs given is not down to inefficiency,it's down to the percentage of idiots in that country?.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
So?

NZ has had 28 deaths in a population a shade over 5 million. If the UK had the same death rate, that would be 369. The UK had 223 yesterday alone.

Lot's of whataboutery.

Facts are, They had the best process in the world, and Delta still sneaked in. 40% are fully vaccinated, central bank has increased interest rates for the first time in 7 years.

Their endgame cannot be the best, as they still haven't worked it out, easing of restrictions and opening up of freedoms, whilst having increasing rates. (same as everywhere else in the world)

D

Deleted member 21258

Have you seen whats happening in Australia(and other places like Italy) at the moment, under the name of public health.

I see it as a way to destroy belief in 'public health', the pay back will be into the future. Hope we do not end up with a two tier system, and people end up outside 'society'. Going to end up with alot of angry people, especially if you can not work/live for example, these are worrying days. Not sure I follow the logic of vaccine passports, just a thing that wont achieve its aims imho.

Its almost like the next 'revolution' will not be on main media as well, surprising what you can watch on Twitter of a lot of people protesting, police actions so on and doesn't even get a mention on the main media.

The exit path for NZ and Australia, was always going to be more dangerous, as they have now got to start accepting covid deaths and cases. That said, upto Delta they have done an amazing job of reducing deaths with Covid tho, excess deaths is a more interesting question.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Its almost like the next 'revolution' will not be on main media as well, surprising what you can watch on Twitter of a lot of people protesting, police actions so on and doesn't even get a mention on the main media.

There has definitely been a decision made by the media not to report the vaccine passport protests. The large protests happening around the world that would definitely have been reported if any other subject and yet been completely ignored by the MSM but are readily available on Twitter.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you seen whats happening in Australia(and other places like Italy) at the moment, under the name of public health.

I see it as a way to destroy belief in 'public health', the pay back will be into the future. Hope we do not end up with a two tier system, and people end up outside 'society'. Going to end up with alot of angry people, especially if you can not work/live for example, these are worrying days. Not sure I follow the logic of vaccine passports, just a thing that wont achieve its aims imho.

I have no issue with a 2 tier society on this matter, there isn't a single good reason not to have a vaccine. (unless you are physically unable) Ie pregnant etc.

There is a chance it may save someone's life, or keep the person vaccinated from requiring medical care. If people are too selfish to get 2 painless jabs, i'm fine them being kept away from me. If everyone had the same attitude, we would again be seeing thousands of deaths a day from covid, people dying because they can't access other healthcare they need.

I'm not a fan of government intervention, but the economy can't survive without vaccines. The protestors are an annoying loud minority. This is not a gateway 1984 and should that start to happen, I will happily join in protest.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lot's of whataboutery.

Facts are, They had the best process in the world, and Delta still sneaked in. 40% are fully vaccinated, central bank has increased interest rates for the first time in 7 years.

Their endgame cannot be the best, as they still haven't worked it out, easing of restrictions and opening up of freedoms, whilst having increasing rates. (same as everywhere else in the world)

Not whatabouttery, facts. NZ never claimed they would not see any Covid, but they have seen a lot less than here. It would take a disastrous rise in cases for them to come even close. By any stretch of the imagination, they have done well. They need to catch up on vaccines, but that can be done. They are now coming into their summer, so environmental circumstances are in their favour.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no issue with a 2 tier society on this matter, there isn't a single good reason not to have a vaccine. (unless you are physically unable) Ie pregnant etc.

There is a chance it may save someone's life, or keep the person vaccinated from requiring medical care. If people are too selfish to get 2 painless jabs, i'm fine them being kept away from me. If everyone had the same attitude, we would again be seeing thousands of deaths a day from covid, people dying because they can't access other healthcare they need.

I'm not a fan of government intervention, but the economy can't survive without vaccines. The protestors are an annoying loud minority. This is not a gateway 1984 and should that start to happen, I will happily join in protest.

I agree with that statement.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was rather shocked, although sadly less surprised, at the new Covid plan. Winter is coming, flu is a threat, cases are rising and new variants emerging, yet instead of implementing basic public health measures, they are announcing a big deal for some as yet unapproved antivirals? Now, I work in pharma and I love new medicines, but that in an insane and reckless plan. It will end badly.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not followed this post a lot, but has anyone mentioned that Morocco has banned flights from the UK. I wonder if other countries would follow.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, why would that be?

Because the evidence for vaccine effect waning is greater for AZ than the mRNAs and an mRNA booster kicks effectiveness back up very well. Less gain, if any, for previous mRNA recipients from a booster. I suspect that the difference in UK policy on boosters compared to other countries reflects the higher use of AZ here.

In general, there is considered to be benefit from mixing vaccine types, as each has a slightly different immune profile and mixing it up broadens your immunity.

The AZ vax is not part of the booster programme, only Pfizer and Moderna. Novavax could be added if approved soon.