Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
...and if I am in close proximity to you and ask you to put one on as I feel uncomfortable...you'll just ignore my request? - despite the guidance given yesterday about respecting such requests and the statements of the chief medical and scientific advisors.
I think post July 19th, the problem becomes yours, not those around you. You would be asking someone to do something they no longer have to. They may agree but I suspect most would say no. You then have to choose whether you stay or move. I'll be honest, if I am in a situation where I don't believe I need to wear a mask I won't and I would not put one on because you ask me to. If I'm in a situation where I believe it is sensible to wear one, public transport stands out, then I would have one on anyway.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would give you a big hug to make you feel better. :)

In reality though, terrified people like you tend to leap out of the way when a selfish, maskless bastard dares to be in your proximity. However if you did ask me to put a mask on, I would politely explain that I am exempt from wearing them.
I am not in the slightest bit terrified. I may have concerns if I find myself in an indoor, poorly ventilated environment with many there not wearing a mask - and I might well just leave. Meanwhile today and on here I am simply engaged in a discussion about what we have now been advised is going to be 'policy' from the 19th.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a bit of a generalisation of Americans. My son and his family live in Illinois and mask wearing is a legal requirement. He tells me people in his district are quite good and infection rates are very low.
This is why I quoted certain states. Some states it is required, others it is down to the individual and look out anyone who tries to tell people otherwise. The mindeset is far more individualistic than over here, some states more so than others, but obviously that does not apply to everyone. I appreciate we tend to see the extreme versions on media and that does not represent all.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would give you a big hug to make you feel better. :)

In reality though, terrified people like you tend to leap out of the way when a selfish, maskless bastard dares to be in your proximity. However if you did ask me to put a mask on, I would politely explain that I am exempt from wearing them.

It is the mark of the churlish mask-refuser that they characterise people who wear a mask as being terrified or in fear. But you are right, people who do not wear a mask are selfish. And those who lie about exemptions are worse again.

Do you wear a seatbelt in the car?

edited to remove profanity and pointless needling.

Last edited by a moderator:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
...and why would you feel uncomfortable about me wearing a mask in your presence?

It was tongue in cheek, I will have no feelings about anyone wearing/not wearing a mask in my presence. I am just asking what right anyone has to ask anyone to put on a mask when there is no legal requirement to do so? You may feel it's the 'right' thing to do however they may feel equally strongly that it is now their right not to wear one. In all likelihood I will probably carry on wearing one on public transport just because it is such a confined space however I would also not dream of demanding that a non-wearer 'masks up'.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think post July 19th, the problem becomes yours, not those around you. You would be asking someone to do something they no longer have to. They may agree but I suspect most would say no. You then have to choose whether you stay or move. I'll be honest, if I am in a situation where I don't believe I need to wear a mask I won't and I would not put one on because you ask me to. If I'm in a situation where I believe it is sensible to wear one, public transport stands out, then I would have one on anyway.
Remember what we have been advised yesterday on when it would be appropriate and reasonable for me to put on a mask - and one of those situations is when someone expresses discomfort in my not wearing one. If the context is such that it is not possible or reasonable for us to separate, then I'd put my mask on without any further hesitation or questioning of the request.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I just wonder whether the pubs, restaurants, cafe's etc etc will carry on cleaning like they've done during Covid? It would ensure other bugs etc aren't passed around like they probably were when the waiter/waitress gave a table a cursory wipe with a j cloth they'd used all day!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It is the mark of the churlish mask-refuser that they characterise people who wear a mask as being terrified or in fear. But you are right, people who do not wear a mask are selfish bastards. And those who lie about exemptions are worse again.

Do you wear a seatbelt in the car, snowflake?

@Ethan Your view is so entrenched and you refuse to acknowledge an alternative viewpoint. I am not going to argue with you in terms of the science as you have your background, all I can say is that there are plenty of other in the science world who would completely disagree with you including the Deputy CMO, does that make him an idiot as well?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Remember what we have been advised yesterday on when it would be appropriate and reasonable for me to put on a mask - and one of those situations is when someone expresses discomfort in my not wearing one. If the context is such that it is not possible or reasonable for us to separate, then I'd put my mask on without any further hesitation or questioning of the request.
People are going to have to move past this fear or stay home, not advisable. We are moving to the next stage of this and whilst individuals can choose to go at a slower pace they do not have the right to impinge on others who are simply following the updated rules. If I go to the cinema on July 20th and the person next to me asks me to put on a mask I will not. They will have to accept that phase of this situation has passed or they will need to leave the cinema.

There are pyschological barriers people are going to have to overcome but they can not expect everyone else to be held back whilst they catch up. We have been doing that for 18 months, we are moving on now.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My personal view is that we should de-couple what is "allowed" with what is "sensible" or "safe".

The allowance of an activity, IMO, is not an indication of how safe or sensible it is. In given circumstances I will still wear a mask, in others I won't.

There's a few roads around my way, wonderfully twisting and winding through the countryside, that I am allowed to travel at 60mph on, the law dictates that there is no reason that I can't. But I wouldn't and nor do most people, because it's neither sensible nor safe. But I'm sure the bloke that met a tractor coming the other way last year, when he came out of his coma, was telling everyone "but I was allowed to be travelling that fast".

We're moving on, yes. But is that a reflection of the safety and sensibility to do so? Mibbes aye, mibbes naw!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Ethan Your view is so entrenched and you refuse to acknowledge an alternative viewpoint. I am not going to argue with you in terms of the science as you have your background, all I can say is that there are plenty of other in the science world who would completely disagree with you including the Deputy CMO, does that make him an idiot as well?

You are right. I refuse to accept (although I acknowledge) the alternative viewpoint that not giving a *** about whether you infect other people is wrong.

I didn't say that anybody, including the deputy CMO, was an idiot, just selfish (which was a quote from whatsisname above) if they refuse to wear a mask.

Out of interest, what remark did you specially select out of context from whom, in order to make a point with which the main CMO and most other public health people would disagree?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You are right. I refuse to accept (although I acknowledge) the alternative viewpoint that not giving a *** about whether you infect other people is wrong.

I didn't say that anybody, including the deputy CMO, was an idiot, just selfish (which was a quote from whatsisname above) if they refuse to wear a mask.

Out of interest, what remark did you specially select out of context from whom, in order to make a point with which the main CMO and most other public health people would disagree?

I'm talking about the alternative viewpoint about the efficacy of non surgical facemasks, the science suggests the gains on either side are marginal so when you talk about people 'not giving a ***' it's just not the sort of language that is helpful. The are plenty of scientists on the other side of your viewpoint who would argue just as strongly as you do that the cloth and paper variants that the vast majority wear do almost nothing to stop the aerosol spray.

The Dog.

Visit site

I haven’t seen Ethan’s post as he is the sole member of my blocked list. Always was back in the day and always will be.

I can imagine what it says though, typed as it no doubt was, through screams of virtue signalling anguish, accompanied by the sound of the frustrated snap of Scotty putter shafts - his equivalent of a comic collection. Only gentle ribbing kids - don’t hit that report button! Still a safe space!! ? ??

I’m all for live and let live but we all have to draw a line somewhere. I suggest the forumites that “skweam twoll” do the same to me. ??‍♂️

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
My personal view is that we should de-couple what is "allowed" with what is "sensible" or "safe"
Also, just because it’s allowed it doesn’t mean it is suddenly compulsory to do it.

I wish we would ease into it, but there will be overcompensating. It will be the busiest Monday in a pub ever, much busier than a normal Friday.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought that was just a personal thing from the medical man on the podium.
It was in the three things HE would do.
Correct me if I am wrong but it’s not in the official guidance.
But would just be good manners.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm getting very irritated by young fit looking men not wearing a mask. If they are challenged they know all they have to say is: I'm exempt.'
Well, I've always worn a mask in shops and on public transport and I'm classed as severely asthmatic which I've been all my life.
On occasions I do have to drop my mask below the nose just to gulp some air, then I can almost guarantee someone takes me to task.

Same old story - one law for some but not others.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
For clarity, I do and will continue to wear a mask if I am likely to be close to someone. If inside a public building that might happen ,because unlike outside, I might not be able to move away ( 2 m, or so)
But in this discussion we are talking the merits or otherwise of keeping mask wearing a legal requirement.
I suggest that there would be a difficult impractical situation to have it legally binding if and when places like nightclubs, cinemas, theatres are opened.
Think about it. How the hell can you have people dancing( they call it) in a nightclub having to wear a mask? They wouldn't wear a mask.- period.
Then some journo, etc demands the police enforce the law against these lawbreakers.
Same for cinemas and theatres.
These are places that masks fit the criteria for them to be worn in.
The Entertainment industry has crie out for re opening.
The Gov clearly want to do as asked, but they see the above difficulties, so they cannot keep the law as is and re open.
It would be chaos.
And, silh, whilst you want to see masks worn in appropriate places, where does your argument lie when you are also demanding the opening up of entertainment?
Masks do work in some circumstances, namely where droplets may pass between people.
And Im talking ordinary blue masks - not surgical ones?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm talking about the alternative viewpoint about the efficacy of non surgical facemasks, the science suggests the gains on either side are marginal so when you talk about people 'not giving a ***' it's just not the sort of language that is helpful. The are plenty of scientists on the other side of your viewpoint who would argue just as strongly as you do that the cloth and paper variants that the vast majority wear do almost nothing to stop the aerosol spray.

Clearly the material in the mask matters, and some people are wearing utterly ineffective face coverings. Nobody disputes that. I don't know what the prevalence of high quality make vs rubbish one is, but the paper surgical type ones you often see are decent, but masks with proper filters inside are much better. The welder's mask visor things are useless.