Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
You sound like someone who gets their information from Twitter and YouTube videos. Proper surgical masks help reduce aerosol transmission and there are studies to show this.
And there you go again, insulting people at the drop of a hat. How dare you assume that I was talking about proper surgical masks.
It's bloody obvious that we are here ( and the PM , and the press) talking about the everyday masks worn by ordinary people- those blue things etc?

Twitter I do not use or look at .
So, What brand of obnoxious pills do you take in the morning!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely this sort of language is just going to make things worse? Why are people automatically branded 'idiots' for not wearing a mask? If the legal requirement has changed you would assume there has been some scientific input into it even if there are numbers that don't agree so then it becomes personal choice. If you go around calling all non-wearers of masks idiots it will just encourage the other side to come back with the whole 'bed wetters' comment and it gets messy. It comes down to personal choice after that and I don't think anyone should be judged on it.
So you, through exercising your personal choice, are wearing a mask and someone comes up to you demanding that you remove it as you are making him feel uncomfortable - you refuse his demands and he berates and insults you and might then proceed to rip it off your face. That’s OK then and not idiotic (at best) behaviour.

Last edited:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So you, through exercising your personal choice, are wearing a mask and someone comes up to you demanding that you remove it as you are making him feel uncomfortable - you refuse his demands and he then proceeds to rip it off your face. That’s OK then and not idiotic (at best) behaviour.

Sorry, you've lost me? My comment was that it's going to come down to personal choice and there shouldn't be this sort of language on either side, either choose to wear a mask or don't but neither side should be intentionally making anyone feel uncomfortable with their choice.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
So you, through exercising your personal choice, are wearing a mask and someone comes up to you demanding that you remove it as you are making him feel uncomfortable - you refuse his demands and he berates and insults you and might then proceed to rip it off your face. That’s OK then and not idiotic (at best) behaviour.

Doesn't the same apply the other way round too?

Which is far more likely in the UK than someone trying to rip a mask off your face.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry, you've lost me? My comment was that it's going to come down to personal choice and there shouldn't be this sort of language on either side, either choose to wear a mask or don't but neither side should be intentionally making anyone feel uncomfortable with their choice.
Correct. But that is not what has happened in the US where there was no federal requirement for mask wearing - it was down to individuals and individual states. And in the lack of a firm hand on the tiller of mask wearing, conflict was and is commonplace, with wearers and non-wearers alike being accosted, abused and insulted.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
This is going to kick off big time. When an idiot [person in a certain role which cannot be discussed here] declares bluntly without any qualification that he will stop wearing masks on July 19th, we can expect many other idiots to follow suit and see it as a badge of their very identity and a measure of their [redacted] size.

I seem to recall a "person in a certain role" say that he might not wear a mask in a train carriage that was empty late at night but would in the rush hour when it was busy. All 3 people on the podium In a press conference yesterday said they would wear face masks indoors in a busy environment, otherwise if they thought other people would be concerned uf they didnt wear one,or, if they were asked to do so.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I seem to recall a "person in a certain role" say that he might not wear a mask in a train carriage that was empty late at night but would in the rush hour when it was busy. All 3 people on the podium In a press conference yesterday said they would wear face masks indoors in a busy environment, otherwise if they thought other people would be concerned uf they didnt wear one,or, if they were asked to do so.

The person I was referring to was not one of the three, but one of those three appeared to pivot a bit after hearing answers from the other two, particularly one who clearly had prepared an excellent and reasonable answer.

RichA

Visit site
For what it's worth, I've spent over 3 hours every working day on public transport to and around London for the last 18 months. I've witnessed the odd comment about masks or lack of masks. I haven't witnessed a single dispute that threatened to go beyond tutting.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Honestly a litlte nervous for Friday, going to be on public transport as well as going to a restaurant and pubs that are not my village local. Not even sure I know how pubs work at the moment as in my local a quick gesture to the bar and they know that I want another pint of my usual and the owners and staff are friends so they just check if I need a drink whilst dropping over for a chat.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One minute we moan because 'big brother' introduces controls now we moan because the responsibility has been given back to the individual.

The country simply cannot afford to go on as we are. The time has come for economics to take account of the pandemic and for society to manage and work around it. The UK's vaccine programme and future vaccines provide the option to contain the virus.

Surely we have all learnt over the year what is prudent behaviour and it should not need laws to tell you.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Honestly a litlte nervous for Friday, going to be on public transport as well as going to a restaurant and pubs that are not my village local. Not even sure I know how pubs work at the moment as in my local a quick gesture to the bar and they know that I want another pint of my usual and the owners and staff are friends so they just check if I need a drink whilst dropping over for a chat.

Most are doing similar, check in, table service only with the more modern pubs having their own app so you don't even have to worry about getting the attention of staff, enjoy your drink and food!

The Dog.

Visit site
I am not wearing a mask any more. It makes no sense to me and my wife who is a medic, completely agrees. Wear a mask to walk into a pub with three mates, sit down and you can all take them off and sit together. Same air, same space. In fact you're closer to each other than you were when you walked in. It is an utter nonsense. Or wear a visor that stops nowt! Completely crazy.

The vulnerable are all double jabbed as well? And if in two weeks time the government are going to remove compulsory masks, what will change in the next 13 days to mean circumstances are radically different? The world has gone absolutely crazy. In the US, where they are nowhere near our level of vaccination, masks and social distancing have been consigned to history for over 6 weeks and they are back to normal, living with the virus like they do with countless others.

There is a collective madness here, evidenced by many of you on this thread. A virus that kills a tiny minority that has now been vaccinated against is still dominating the lives of Brits and it is absolutely ridiculous. But don't let that stop some of you shouting any dissenting voice down. I think you're all mildly crackers to be honest.

D

Deleted member 21258

Looks like we are going Israel, Singapore etc style moving forward and relying on the power of vaccines/edit infected immunity.

I for one, will be glad to see the end of the micro management of my life by law.

Hope we get to the 19/7 without changes. I know some things wont be changing for me for a while at least. Life is full of trade offs and loved ones are more important than nights out on the town.....

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most are doing similar, check in, table service only with the more modern pubs having their own app so you don't even have to worry about getting the attention of staff, enjoy your drink and food!

Thanks for that, you sort of forget how you get used to how your local works and forget about the practicalities of pubs outside of that (in this case, York)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not wearing a mask any more. It makes no sense to me and my wife who is a medic, completely agrees. Wear a mask to walk into a pub with three mates, sit down and you can all take them off and sit together. Same air, same space. In fact you're closer to each other than you were when you walked in. It is an utter nonsense. Or wear a visor that stops nowt! Completely crazy.

The vulnerable are all double jabbed as well? And if in two weeks time the government are going to remove compulsory masks, what will change in the next 13 days to mean circumstances are radically different? The world has gone absolutely crazy. In the US, where they are nowhere near our level of vaccination, masks and social distancing have been consigned to history for over 6 weeks and they are back to normal, living with the virus like they do with countless others.

There is a collective madness here, evidenced by many of you on this thread. A virus that kills a tiny minority that has now been vaccinated against is still dominating the lives of Brits and it is absolutely ridiculous. But don't let that stop some of you shouting any dissenting voice down. I think you're all mildly crackers to be honest.

It makes no sense to place a physical barrier which will reduce the passage of virus? Really, it isn't rocket science.

What sort of "medic" is your wife?

There are clearly contradictions in the policies, these have been pointed out frequently, but the existence of one contradiction doesn't mean that any sane person then abandons all common sense.

And how many times do people have to be told that it is not all about death rates.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One minute we moan because 'big brother' introduces controls now we moan because the responsibility has been given back to the individual.

The country simply cannot afford to go on as we are. The time has come for economics to take account of the pandemic and for society to manage and work around it. The UK's vaccine programme and future vaccines provide the option to contain the virus.

Surely we have all learnt over the year what is prudent behaviour and it should not need laws to tell you.
I don't have that kind of faith in people.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It makes no sense to place a physical barrier which will reduce the passage of virus? Really, it isn't rocket science. What sort of "medic" is your wife?

There are clearly contradictions in the policies, these have been pointed out frequently, but the existence of one contradiction doesn't mean that any sane person then abandons all common sense.

And how many times do people have to be told that it is not all about death rates.

You're probably best engaging with that one. Its just blatant trolling.

Ethan, is there any published evidence as to the efficacy of face coverings?
Things like home made cloth masks, snoods and disposable masks that have been used for months?

I'm genuinely interested as I'm not convinced by it, based on the efforts we have to go through to get people to wear and dispose of mask properly.